PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions For Military Riflemen ByTownsen Whelen

leeggen
01-07-2014, 08:05 PM
This is some really good reading. I have found it to be quite informative. He talks about the Model 1903. The book is free and here is the sight: http://google.com/books?id=TphJAAAAIAAJ
Just thought some might enjoy it also.
CD

junkbug
01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks!

Outpost75
01-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes, excellent book. I have the original hardbound.

Also recommend Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting and Book of the Springfield by Crossman and

A Rifleman Went to War by McBride!

Larry Gibson
01-07-2014, 10:45 PM
I also have the hardbound copy. It is indeed excellent.

Larry Gibson

madsenshooter
01-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Anyone notice what Whelen refers to as Ideal Bullet Metal? Also known as Ideal #1 alloy. I have the makings, gonna mix some up one day.

Larry Gibson
01-11-2014, 12:13 PM
Anyone notice what Whelen refers to as Ideal Bullet Metal? Also known as Ideal #1 alloy. I have the makings, gonna mix some up one day.

Yes, I've mentioned that composition several times. It is why Lyman has a #2 alloy instead of a Lyman #1 alloy. The Ideal Bullet Metal was the #1 alloy. Phil Sharpe also mentions it if I recall correctly. I read in some older writing the #1 fell out of favor because the quality of the bullets with the Cu in it was harder to maintain than with the straight ternary #2 alloy. Never hear any mention of #1 alloy anymore except here. I've been using some Babbitt and Badgeedd's recopies a bit but am going to mix up some #1 alloy and give it a try.

BTW; The #1 alloy casts to a smaller diameter in the same mould as does #2 alloy. Many of the Ideal moulds and the older Lyman moulds were cut with the original cherries made for #1 alloy to cast to nominal diameter. That's why many older Ideal and Lyman moulds cast oversize like they do with #2 alloy and linotype and cast just over nominal with many batches of newer COWWs.

Not understanding the difference between older Lyman moulds and newer ones cut for #2 alloy has led to a lot of criticism of Lyman's quality control. Just isn't the case but a case of using the wrong alloy.

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
01-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Anything written by Townsend Whelen is worth the effort to read. In days gone by riflecraft was taught often and in many places to boys and young men. This is no longer true and reading material from Whelen and other will go a long way in filling this deficit in instruction.

madsenshooter
01-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Interesting tidbits Larry, thanks. I imagine that back in the day of Ideal #1, most casters were ladle casters and the majority of problems associated with the alloy came about as more people became bottom pour casters. It would require higher than normal casting temps, something more on the order of the temperature recommended for pouring lead based babbitts, 725-750. Please, no "you'll oxidize all your tin", chime ins here, I have a way of easily dealing with that. It sure doesn't disappear into the air!

leeggen
01-14-2014, 08:51 PM
Whelen also mention a cleaner for the rifles that is very close to Ed's Red, only whelens used whale oil. Several things he tought that are still used in todays shooting. What a legasea(sp)!
CD

Char-Gar
01-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Ed's Red uses Dexron automatic transmission fluid which was developed to replace sperm oil in early automatic transmissions. Dexron is synthetic sperm oil in a manner of speaking and does the same thing in bore cleaner.

Larry Gibson
01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Interesting tidbits Larry, thanks. I imagine that back in the day of Ideal #1, most casters were ladle casters and the majority of problems associated with the alloy came about as more people became bottom pour casters. It would require higher than normal casting temps, something more on the order of the temperature recommended for pouring lead based babbitts, 725-750. Please, no "you'll oxidize all your tin", chime ins here, I have a way of easily dealing with that. It sure doesn't disappear into the air!

Note Whelen recommends casting for officers only or for enlisted only under direct supervision of officers.........

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Note Whelen recommends casting for officers only or for enlisted only under direct supervision of officers.........

Larry Gibson

Some of the stuff on this board, suggests that Col. Whelen's point of view still has validity.

madsenshooter
01-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Yea, and you should get permission if you're going to sand the inside the of the barrel bands like he recommended. I don't need permission as one of my Krags came with the barrel fully free floated, bands sanded inside so they barely touch the barrel. I don't know who did it, but it looks to have been a looong time ago. She shoots pretty good and doesn't have the "first shot high" grouping that some of my other Krags have. I hope to use the rifle at Camp Perry this year with cast bullets.

UBER7MM
01-15-2014, 08:18 PM
"Sigillvm Vniversitatis Californiensis 1868 Ex Libris Fiat Lux" That's a hoot! You'd never find that book in undergraduate library today.

Jailer
01-15-2014, 09:25 PM
The book is available on castpics.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/default.html

WILCO
01-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Great find!! Thanks for sharing this!

Bzcraig
01-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Thank you sir!