PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336Y 30-30 Youth Model - Anyone Have One?

Jeff H
01-07-2014, 05:23 PM
This is a 16.5" barrel, 5-shot, 6.5 pound Lever that I just learned of, although they have been out since 2011.

EDIT: Looks like they go back farther than 2011.

I like short, handy, lightweight guns. The 33.5" OAL and the 12.5" LOP would fit me just fine - I am not a big guy.

AT right about $400, the price doesn't seem bad for new. This would likely be shot 99% of the time with cast.

Anyone have one or know someone who does?

Are these nicely made or still having production problems?

onionfmr
01-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Since no one posted, I'll make this my first post.

We have a 336Y and shoot cast thru it most of the time. It is a REMLIN (NY manufacture) and I spent a lot of time fixing it. Really poor overall quality when compared to our JM stamped Marlin (Conn. manufacture). That said, we do have an 1894 REMLIN that is really good.

My advice would be to look it over really, really well before purchase. Cycle it several times and then several more. Check the fit and finish on the wood, look for off-center front and rear sights (dovetails cut incorrectly), barrel and receiver fit problems, binding magazine tubes, etc...

Bottom line - our REMLIN 336Y after a lot of work (hours) is now a great gun to shoot. Excellent woods gun, handles well, very accurate with cast hand loads and a lot of fun. Would I buy another REMLIN? Maybe, but I would certainly go over it really well first. Some of the REMLINs I've seen lately in LGS are okay, some awful.

Here's a link to lots and lots of excellent information on REMLINs:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

Good luck - Ted

snaketail
01-08-2014, 11:05 AM
I used to work for Cabela's, in the Gun Library - youth guns of any type were fast sellers. The only one we ever had for more than a month was an expensive Beretta that finally sold to a woman shooter.
Best of luck finding a youth 336 - I suspect they are few and far between...but a good reason to keep searching.
M

snaketail
01-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I stand corrected!
Was looking for something else and came across a 336Y!
http://www.armslist.com/posts/2068425/springfield-missouri-rifles-for-sale-trade--30-30-will-trade-for-adult-model-in-good-condition
Hope it works out for you.
M

nekshot
01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
I wonder how they get that weight? I have tried to get a glenfield down to same weight as a win 94 and and that was a real adventure. I got with in 2 oz and stopped while I still had some gun left from the projectLOL!

Maximumbob54
01-08-2014, 01:44 PM
I bought mine through Buds a little over a year ago. I wish still to this day I had refused it when I opened it and cylced the action the first time. It's been shipped back and returned and it's still the same box of gravel parts as before. I have shot this gun for an afternoon trying to get the thing to feed and eject and ended up with some bruised knuckles. The trigger pull on it remains horrid. To hold the thing makes you think it's going to be a brilliant woods carry rifle. But then to try and use it makes you want to bash it against the nearest tree. I give it a fifty fifty shot on any new Remlin these days. This is as it came:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/Maximumbob54/IMG_20130620_173832_096_zpsd0e377e5.jpg (http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/Maximumbob54/media/IMG_20130620_173832_096_zpsd0e377e5.jpg.html)

I had put Skinner winged peep sights on it and the trigger was so rough and heavy that at a hundred yards I was doing good to have a 4" pattern. I say pattern because calling it a grouping would seem silly had I saved pictures of the targets. I guess if I were to throw more money into that pit then it could be made into a decent rifle but then why pour even more money into it at this point.

Oh, and the Rossi M92 I bought around the same time is ten times the fit and finish as this rifle. But then so is the budget 30A I also have that I bought for under $300 back in the day. Pretty sad when we can't seem to make a decent lever action here in the US these days.

Jeff H
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Well, guys, I have my answer and I appreciate you taking the time.

The one I am looking at is online and there is nowhere near where I could get my hands on one to really look it over first-hand.

It's a neat idea but I'm not much of a gambler and I don't have the time to spend reworking another one. The one I am looking at may be a gem - or it may not. I have neither the time nor the money to risk, so I will pass.

Yeah, I was wondering if that weight estimate might be a little optimistic. It sure is cute but they aren't removing a whole lot of mass from the two ends. Maybe they blotted all the oil dry and blew all the dust off to weigh 'em?:wink:

Thanks for the help guys. It's tempting but I just don't think I will risk it right now.

Jeff H
01-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Hey, guys,
I just happened to be in WM tonight and I always blow through the sporting goods to check for availability of .22 LRs.

I was very surprised to see a Marlin 336Y on the rack for $448.

I told the lady that I had no intention of buying it but wondered if she'd let me see how it felt and she graciously opened the cabinet and handed it to me.

Her two cents' worth was "feels heavy to me!" But I felt that it was not overweight. It seems to have the weight distributed in such a way that it "feels" fine. I Was also impressed with the overall fit/finish but there was no way to work the action with the abomination of a lock they put on them. I didn't ask. She was nice enough to accommodate my silly request and I wasn't going to press her further.

So, now I don't know. I may still try one of these. Roll the dice and see. Maybe.

hound-1
01-08-2014, 09:48 PM
My 2 cents is to stay away from any new " remlins ",your better off looking for an older JM stamped marlin and making it what you want. May cost about the same when all done , but you'll have a quality gun with no problems.

TCStehle
01-09-2014, 03:56 AM
I almost bought one a few weeks ago when Bud's had them listed for $324 but I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger so to speak. I'm glad I waited.

Instead, I lucked out and traded a guy locally and got a super deal on a full size Marlin. His 336A in mint condition, sling, weaver base, plus 167 rounds of various factory ammo for my NIB S&W 22A target pistol with laminated grips. He was happy with the trade and I was thrilled!! The factory ammo alone was worth about 1/2 of what a S&W 22A costs!

From what I can tell the Marlin 336A is one of the "in-between" rifles. Serial number starts with 910 and is located on the receiver so it's a 2009/2010. The barrel is stamped REP with a smaller "1" or "L" stamped next to it, I can't really tell for sure. It's officially a Remlin but the barrel says North Haven. I think it might be one where parts from the Marlin factory in CT may have been shipped to Marlin in NY where they were assembled and proofed. I know during the 2009/2010 time frame lots of changes and transitioning between CT and NY were occurring.

Regardless, the fit and finish are above average, no canted sights or gaps in wood to metal fit and the action is actually pretty smooth for a Remlin with only 40 rds through it. I think I did pretty good and the "price" was definitely right!

onionfmr
01-09-2014, 09:35 AM
So, now I don't know. I may still try one of these. Roll the dice and see. Maybe.

If you are going to get serious about it, make sure you cycle it a lot before you buy it!!! It may still have issues, but at least you know it will cycle w/o ammo as a starting point. Case in point, I was in a LGS a couple of weeks ago. They had several REMLINs in the rack. Customer asks counter guy to see one. Fit and finish on the rifle was good. Customer cycles the lever, lever locks fully extended, LGS owner comes over and tries to unlock it, wouldn't budge. Owner tells counter guy to remove the lever, box it up and ship it back.

As I said, we have an 1894 REMLIN. Overall it is a pretty good rifle. Did we get lucky? Probably.

Good luck if you decide to buy it!

Jeff H
01-09-2014, 10:53 PM
I hear ya, guys. I appreciate the insight. I dearly want Marlin and H&R to be a Remington success story though. Would hate to see them go away.

There's a small local show this weekend. Good bunch of vendors and collectors. Very polite, no insults, no underhanded schemes to talk you out of your "junk" or to grace you with their "treasures." Honest, goodwill hagglin' and good natured associating.

I will go see if there are some tires worth kicking.