PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550B vs. Hornady LnL

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
So, first I want to start off by saying I've searched and read every thread pertaining to this. Just wanted to get more/updated opinions.

I'm in the market for my first progressive. Will be solely dedicated to 45's. I started with a single stage, moved up to turret, and now I just shoot way too many 45's lol. Turret will remain in use for other calibers.

550B and LnL seem like a nice entry to the progressive "world".

Any thoughts on which?

The LnL with a powder cop seems nice. Additionally the auto indexing seems even better.

But a Dillon is something that is looked after as the best. Just wondering... how do these compare in your opinion? Seems they both have lifetime factory warranties...

How is the changing of calibers? Say I decide to load 44 mag down the road, still a quick switch on both?

I'd like to maintain using my Lee dies as they're already purchased.

OuchHot!
01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
The Dillon owners are very aggressive at defending their choice. I belonged to a club that had a room full of Dillon equipment. I have a LnL, ammomaster, and Pro1000 (sigh). I was never allowed to change caliber on the Dillons as they had one for each caliber. Frankly, I cannot say one is more durable or smoother than another (Dillon Vs LnL). I like the LnL but then I also like the Ammomaster. I will say that of all the presses that I have used for .45 and .38spec, only the star/phelps beat the square deal. If I were doing it again, my 45 loads would come off a square deal. this is assuming less than 2k per week. For rifle, I like LnL but Dillon is good too.

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 03:42 PM
So what is the major difference between the SD vs 550B?

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Holy cow... The SD is almost $150 less than the LnL and does basically everything besides a 5th station.... anyone use a SD?

Sgtonory
01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I have a 550b and i chose it over the SD because you have to use dillion dies only.

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 03:50 PM
I have a 550b and i chose it over the SD because you have to use dillion dies only.

besides the whole price standpoint of having to purchase "their" dies... any issues with their dies use wise? I'm sure quality is a little higher than Lee. Worst case scenario, I find a buyer for my 45 deluxe set on the S&S...

dragon813gt
01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
The Square Deal is for pistol calibers only. You won't be using it for rifle. If I remember the SDB has a shorter stroke and that's why it's pistol only.

OuchHot!
01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Square deal is pistol only and uses Dillon proprietary dies. But it works very well in my experience. No "fine tuning" needed.

Bonz
01-07-2014, 03:57 PM
I would never buy a progressive press with less than 5 stations ! Right now I am thinking about buying the Dillon 1050 to have more than 5 stations. I pulled my bullet feeder off of my Hornady LNL and first installed the RCBS Lockout die, but then ended up with the Hornady Powder Cop die. I really miss my bullet feeder die...

BABore
01-07-2014, 03:57 PM
The SD also has auto indexing which the 550 does not.

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Well, the ONLY thing I load are straight walled cartridges pistol cartridges anyways... So it just seems that for under $400 this is a screaming hot deal.

Alvarez Kelly
01-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I love my 550s, but Square Deal presses rock. If you are using it to load one caliber, the Square Deal is a great option. They work great. I know folks who have 3 or 4... Each is dedicated to a particular load. They are easy to use and easy to maintain.

Their single biggest shortcoming... they are pretty small. If you have large hands or your fingers are no longer nimble, you may not like it. I would recommend loading on one if you can before you buy.

Good luck!

AK

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Of the two presses you originally asked about, I've owned both. The LnL is the better press of the two and is better compared to a 650. That said, both presses can easily reload all the ammunition you can stand in a single caliber.

If you think you may want to upgrade to case feeders and/or bullet feeders in the future, the LnL gains the most production quantities with the addition of either. The LnL is also auto advance, so it's generally easy to operate and is quite large, so if you have big or not so nimble hands, you have room to work. You don't have to advance the shell plate yourself, so your left hand is free to load cases and bullets onto the press as your right hand pulls the handle to operate the press.

On the issue of cleanliness: The LnL has a spent primer disposal tube that leads your old primers and the associated filth down out and away from the press, keeping the press much cleaner and less prone to wear related to primer filth.

Setup: Both are fairly easy to setup, but the Dillon provides a better set of instructions and is easier of the two to get setup initially. That said, once you've taken the time to familiarize yourself with a particular progressive, none of them are "too hard." But any and all progressives require cleaning, adjustment and maintenance. They are machines and no free lunch.

On the aside mentioned SBD: It's efficient, but small and tight for large or aging hands. It's inexpensive, but requires you use Dillon dies. It does wear out over time, but Dillon will rebuild it for free for you. That said, you are down the time period you are sending it in to be rebuild. It's also pistol only, but if all you want to reload is pistol, that's fine and it doesn't keep you from buying another progressive for rifle down the road.

As a bottom line: I currently own an RCBS Pro 2000 and have owned or am familiar from personal experience with most of the progressives out there. Dillon, Hornady and RCBS all make extremely fine presses. Lee, while not up to the standards of the other three, are decent and if you have a good bit of mechanical ability, aren't bad. Recently, there's been a couple of people coming out with mods to make the Lee much more dependable.

And as an aside on useful stuff: InlineFabrication, at the top of the forums in the ads, sells some extremely nice mounts, lights, handles and other very nice stuff to improve your reloading experience with whatever press you buy. They're well worth the money.

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 04:44 PM
I love my 550s, but Square Deal presses rock. If you are using it to load one caliber, the Square Deal is a great option. They work great. I know folks who have 3 or 4... Each is dedicated to a particular load. They are easy to use and easy to maintain.

Their single biggest shortcoming... they are pretty small. If you have large hands or you fingers are no longer nimble, you may not like it. I would recommend loading on one if you can before you buy.

Good luck!

AK

How efficient is it for changing calibers (later down the road if need be). I see they have a caliber conversion kit for like $90. Seems pretty fair IMO. But does it completely change everything or can I just "plug and play" so to speak. I.E. remove tool head and replace and we are good to go.

OuchHot!
01-07-2014, 05:02 PM
I found changing from large to small primer feed on the SQb a bit fiddly but not a real chore. Having three progressives and a turret, I don't change calibers much.

MtGun44
01-07-2014, 05:05 PM
If you are swapping calibers in a 550B with the same primer size, the swap is
extremely quick and easy, assuming you have a powder measure on the swapped
toolhead, too. Changing primers as a moderate time consumer, to the point that
I finally saved up for a second 550B dedicated to small primers.

And note - the SD can reload .223, the one rifle exception I am aware of.
SDs are nice machines.

Bill

Alvarez Kelly
01-07-2014, 05:52 PM
And note - the SD can reload .223, the one rifle exception I am aware of.
SDs are nice machines.

Bill

Unless you know someone who makes custom dies, you can not reload 223 on the SD.

Fire_Medic
01-07-2014, 07:33 PM
So, first I want to start off by saying I've searched and read every thread pertaining to this. Just wanted to get more/updated opinions.

I'm in the market for my first progressive. Will be solely dedicated to 45's. I started with a single stage, moved up to turret, and now I just shoot way too many 45's lol. Turret will remain in use for other calibers.

550B and LnL seem like a nice entry to the progressive "world".

Any thoughts on which?

The LnL with a powder cop seems nice. Additionally the auto indexing seems even better.

But a Dillon is something that is looked after as the best. Just wondering... how do these compare in your opinion? Seems they both have lifetime factory warranties...

How is the changing of calibers? Say I decide to load 44 mag down the road, still a quick switch on both?

I'd like to maintain using my Lee dies as they're already purchased.

My $0.02

I have been reloading since 2008 on a Dillon 550B. I just sold it a few days ago and have a Hornady LNL en route. As was stated previously, the LNL is more of a fair comparison to the 650. For the money I got for my Dillon I'm ending up with an LNL, single stage LNL press, case feeder for the progressive and a few extras. The Dillons hold their value and most of my stuff went for 20% less than new, which considering how many rounds I loaded on my press I think was very fair.

I took a lot of time, and spoke with a lot of folks, and decided on the LNL for "my" needs. I like the features of the LNL better than the 650, and even though I do not own a 650 I have loaded a lot of ammo on one and a few 1050's that a friend owns. I like setup of the tool head on the LNL, swap bushings and the dies are set, and the Hornady single stage uses the same setup, so you can use a die to work up a load there then swap it over to the LNL. I like the way the shell plate indexes on the Hornady, the dillons can get very messy with powder spilling if you are cranking at a steady pace with a powder that fills the case well. I like the powder measure features of the LNL as well, and the upgrade you can make to the micrometer for the powder measure. Times are tough, I wanted to upgrade to a true progressive press and my dollars went much further with Hornady than they would have if I went with a 650.

I'm not bashing Dillon in any way, I owned one for years and it served me well, but "for me" the competition gave me more dollar for dollar and it would be cheaper to get into multiple calibers.

As others have said if you're just going to load one caliber a SD might be a good choice, but I have larger hands and it felt too cramped for me.

FM

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I own 2 LNL APs and 4 Dillon 550s. I like the Hornadys better for a couple reason. 1.) 5 stations vs 4 stations 2.) Auto index vs Manual index 3.) Primer disposal is superior 4.) The color red is way better than blue ( Take that one Alvarez!!!! ;) )

You won't be dissapointed with either one. I really like both presses.

JSH
01-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I have owned a 550 and a SDB. I have three Hornady progressives and still have the square deal. I have ran a 650 and a 1050.
I still have the square deal and the three Hornady progressives. But I also have two rock chuckers and a jr press single stage of course.
I won't make comments for or against any of them as all it does is draw a lot of flack.
Opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple.
Anyone that reloads should start out with a good single stage press IMHO. Then load 3-5 k in calibers of their choice mixed or matched. Then and only then should they move on to a progressive press of any kind. I have a few people that when I see them coming I run the other way. Never reloaded before and have no idea what they are doing. You have to walk before you can run. I have shown them both till I am blue in the face on how to set up their dies. I will then remove all of the dies and give the locking rings a spin.
I will not be responsible for any accident they may have happen to them. I totally refused to help set up their powder measures at all.
It seems the majority of folks want match ammo, but they are in a hurry because they don't have "time". Bad things can happen fast on a progressive. One has to pay attention as much by feel in operating the machine when running it as much as initial set up.
One of the afore mentioned guys loaded about 3k of 9mm. NONE of it would chamber as he had the crimp set wrong. He sent it back to dillon because it was broke! More likely so they would set it up.
Jeff

Petrol & Powder
01-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Most progressive presses do the same basic thing; the differences are:
1. productivity (how many completed rounds in a given amount of time)
2. difficulty of changing cartridges/primer size/etc. and general set up
3. consistency of operation (including number of lost or damaged rounds)
4. durability
5. cost

A lot of people defend Dillon products and I'm one of them. The Dillon 550B doesn't particularly shine at productivity but it's no slouch either. With preloaded primer tubes I can easily crank out 300 - 400 rounds per hour. That's enough for me. It has performed yeoman's service for years and I can depend on the machine for high volumes of consistent cartridges.
Changing calibers and general set up is quick and painless. I do keep entire tool heads set up with powder measures dedicated to a few main ones. Changing primer size is a little bit more involved but not horrible.
Consistency is excellent. The machine has proven to be durable and the cost is acceptable
The 550B may not excel in any one category but overall it has proven to be a very good machine.

Then we get to customer service. Dillon is an outstanding company to deal with. On the rare occasions that I've needed a replacement part they've gone above and beyond my expectations of good service. That alone will keep me in the Dillon camp.

HATCH
01-07-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm in the market for my first progressive. Will be solely dedicated to 45's.

Based on this statement I would say get a Dillon Square Deal B.
You can get a nice used one setup for 45 for around $285.00

It is a great machine and I owned 3 of them plus 2 550's
The speed of the SDB machine out weighed the 550's.
I had 41 mag, 38 sp and 45 acp.
Those are my 3 go to calibers.
I only sold the SDBs because I got a deal on a 650 with case feeder.

one 550 is setup small primer, the other large primer.
The 650 does my primary rounds which currently is just 38sp, 44/40, and 38/40. I have other conversions but haven't set them up yet.

Petrol & Powder
01-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I concur with HATCH, for a machine dedicated to a single pistol caliber the SDB is the way to go. If there's ever a chance that you will expand your needs to more than one cartridge, then the 550B quickly starts to make more economic sense.
If you have the space and money, multiple machines certainly eliminate the trouble of switching calibers. Most of us have to compromise convenience for cost.

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Well per a previous comment I agree 100% about learning the basics first.

Loaded several thousand on a single stage... Upgraded to turret. Loaded several thousand there also.

The progressive is for what I shoot most of... 45's. Probably 90% of my shooting. I'll still use the turret extensively for my 44 mag, 9mm, etc. But in reality I can probably load 100 rounds faster on a turret (every other month) than swapping stuff around or loading on a progressive.

I was torn between 550b vs SD. Still kinda am.

What I like about the SD is that it is auto indexing (less chance of double charge and ease of use though a flip of the shell plate doesn't lose much time...) new "free dies"--- allowing my to sell my old dies thus less cost and assuming these will be higher quality, and compact. I'm moving into a smaller apartment here soon (22 years old... Going to chemistry graduate school after this semester of my undergrad) so a compact press is in order. I have smaller hands anyways, so that may not be a huge issue.

I don't really like the whole Dillon only dies. But when I think about what it'll be used for... I no longer see that as an issue! Just the restriction is a bit annoying. But... Again with my use it's not a big deal.

So with my circumstances on a tight budget and really only needing 1 caliber loaded on a progressive... I'm going with the SD (probably order tommrow). I CAN see in the future (10 years?) if my shooting situation changes to say 38 spl etc I will most likely buy another SD. I really like the whole 1 press= 1 caliber therefore if I went with the 550 I never would have changed calibers in the foreseeable future anyways.

One thing I do question:

Any issues with Brian enos? Seems like he is a pretty good guy. Same price and free shipping over 400.

Strong mount? From Dillon? From inline? Pro's /cons of each? I only really NEED one bin for completed rounds. I stack my lubed boolits nicely in Tupperware containers that are all the same so no need for a boolit tray. Brass tray may be nice but don't really have the extra funds to spring on something not needed. Looks like the SM from either Dillon/inline run the same. Any opinions? Mention what I'll use for as it looks inline has more addons possible.

Brian enos sells a $26 package of 6 hex keys and a wrench that mounts to the press. Worth it? Seems nice... But really worth it?

wistlepig1
01-07-2014, 11:06 PM
There is a lot of good info in the above post and I wouldn't have an except to any of it.
I had a SDB for over 25 years and with your stated goal of pistol only it is a very good chose.
Now, if you think you might want to do rifles maybe sometime, some where, some how, them that opens up a big can of other things. I have own or used all of the above presses except the 550, my suggestion would be " ask around to friends and try before you buy" them pick the one that best meets your likes. Red , green blue, it's up to You! my2cents

Alvarez Kelly
01-07-2014, 11:11 PM
How efficient is it for changing calibers (later down the road if need be). I see they have a caliber conversion kit for like $90. Seems pretty fair IMO. But does it completely change everything or can I just "plug and play" so to speak. I.E. remove tool head and replace and we are good to go.

Square Deal dies are super easy to change out. 4 bolts, in and out. Adjust dies as needed... Having a 2nd toolhead allows you to keep all the dies adjusted and makes it even easier to change calibers. Toolheads are cheap, less than $30.

Now, changing the primer size from small to large takes a bit more time, but isn't bad at all. 3 bolts, in and out.

Some people have a 2nd powder measure also, but you don't have to have one. A cheaper way to go is an extra powder bar for the powder measure.

Figuring out which progressive is right for you is a personal choice. I happen to favor blue, but I get along with the misguided who favor red. Right IllinoisCoyoteHunter? :-P

Alvarez Kelly
01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
One thing I do question:

Any issues with Brian enos? Seems like he is a pretty good guy. Same price and free shipping over 400.

No issues. He will treat you well.

Strong mount? From Dillon? From inline? Pro's /cons of each? I only really NEED one bin for completed rounds. I stack my lubed boolits nicely in Tupperware containers that are all the same so no need for a boolit tray. Brass tray may be nice but don't really have the extra funds to spring on something not needed. Looks like the SM from either Dillon/inline run the same. Any opinions? Mention what I'll use for as it looks inline has more addons possible.

Strong mount is a "luxury". Most don't need it for a Square Deal.

Brian enos sells a $26 package of 6 hex keys and a wrench that mounts to the press. Worth it? Seems nice... But really worth it?

I have them on one of my 550s. It's not really needed. Again, it's a bit of a luxury item. Standard hex wrenched are included when you buy the press. If you want them, just buy a good set of ball end hex wrenches.

I hope that helps.

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks AK!

Few follow ups...

Will the SM add more "strength" if I feel my bench is less than perfect? the way I have my lee classic cast turret I don't get wiggle with the press just the bench especially on the upstroke of the priming. But... I'm wondering if this SM will dissipate this? Also like the additional height so I can stand and reload.

How often are the hex keys needed? What are they needed for? would rather purchase them if I need them frequently. Just not sure on their use that's all.

Petrol & Powder
01-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm not convinced that strong mounts are needed and as for bullet trays, I've been using the plastic top to a bucket and paper plates for years. So I'd say use that money for something else. $26 for a set of Allen wrenches and a mount, probably would wait for that as well. It's neat but it's not $26 worth of neat if money is tight.

I knew a guy that got another leaf for his table and bolted his press to the spare table leaf. When he reloaded he would swap out the leaf and toss a shower curtain over the table that had a cut out section that the press fit through. Reloading apartment style.

Butler Ford
01-07-2014, 11:40 PM
First, you can not load 223 on a SDB. https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/SDB_in_223-98-9-801.htm

I've loaded 1000's on my SDB and for pistol rounds, it cant be beat for the price. Easy to use, easy to set up, not too bad at caliber change.

BF

freebullet
01-08-2014, 12:18 AM
I doubt you could go wrong with any mentioned here. Id go lnl based on easy of use, support, cost, & expandability.

Alvarez Kelly
01-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Thanks AK!

Few follow ups...

Will the SM add more "strength" if I feel my bench is less than perfect? the way I have my lee classic cast turret I don't get wiggle with the press just the bench especially on the upstroke of the priming. But... I'm wondering if this SM will dissipate this? Also like the additional height so I can stand and reload.

How often are the hex keys needed? What are they needed for? would rather purchase them if I need them frequently. Just not sure on their use that's all.

Fix your bench. Maybe an aluminum plate under the press... The strong mount spreads out the forces, but won't compensate for a flexible bench. If you like the extra height to load comfortably, go for it.

The hex wrenches are used to swap toolheads, make minor adjustments, swap priming system parts, swap shellplates, etc. Standard hex wrenches are included with the Square Deal when you buy it.

JSH
01-08-2014, 08:12 AM
As stated above the dillon no bs warranty sells a lot for them. If it were not for that my SDB would be gone. I have had mine rebuilt by them twice since 1985. I guess you could say three times as a couple of years ago the helicoils came out of a couple of the ones that hold the top plate on. They replaced the whole frame and rebuilt it again. I have had one die issue that was promptly fixed. I had some primer feed issues that were also taken care of.
IMHO the primer feed is the biggest issue with all of them. Though I actually think it is more of a primer issue than the machine.
There was some one making dies for the SDB way back. I wish they would make dies for the 22 hornet, 25-20 and 32-20.
If you run across extra dies for the SDB in calibers you are not shooting, it is nice to have them if ones pocket allows it.
Jeff

6bg6ga
01-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Well, I started with a Dillon SD after having had a RCBS junior. I kept the Dillon for 20+ years before selling it and purchasing a 650. I never liked the SD machine because it wasn't easy for me to get my hands in it to put a bullet in. I alway had to work on it to get it to run correctly and finally after Dillon sent me parts it ran fine. I personally see nothing wrong with a 550 as you can rotate the base when your ready to move onto the next stage where as the 650 can make some junk before its ready to produce good ammunition. I keep a T-Mag just to go thru the rejects from the 650 machine. As far as the LNL goes you can keep it as I won't own one. Thinking about a second 650 just for small primer reloading.

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2014, 08:57 AM
IVe got both the lnl is faster when its running right but the 550 runs right every time. If i could only have one progressive press it would be a 550. I guess though that a 550 is more of a multi station press then a progressive. Either way it loads fast enough for 90 percent of what i do and is dead reliable doing it. Ive got three lnl progressives. One set up for .223 one set for lg pistol and one that i do odd ball stuff on. I also have the 550 and unless im going to be mass producing ammo for a couple days I rarely use anything but the 550 anymore. Its almost theropy to sit down and load a few hundred rounds on a press that doesnt require me to tweak something to keep it going.

quasi
01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Lets face it, the press we all want/ need is the Dillon 1050. We just cant afford them! Almost all of my purchases are pre-owned, you can make your spare dollars go farther this way. It does not seem to work with Dillon equipment, their products seem to hold their value like Colt Pythons. For handgun only loading I much prefer a Star press to anything else other than a 1050.

r1kk1
01-08-2014, 05:34 PM
I may be selling my SDB in 45acp. Recently rebuilt by Dillon.

Don't know yet

r1kk1

ACrowe25
01-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Well, r1kk1 it's cool. Just paid fo rone via Brian Enos. Nice guy... Basically got a "free" primer flip tray (to reach $400 for shipping). Also am purchasing a SM from inline (Even better guy... if that's possible lol) along with their dual bin setup. My girlfriend is going to kill me, I'll just say it all showed up! :grin:

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Congrats on your purchase.

For handgun only loading I much prefer a Star press to anything else other than a 1050.

^^^^ YEP!!!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Good choice on the SBD. Even better choice on the inline mount. It can be adapted to any press you add in the future.

Petrol & Powder
01-08-2014, 07:11 PM
You'll do fine with that SDB. Can't give you much advice for the impending girlfriend issue, still havn't figured mine out yet.

Randy C
01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
:coffeecom I enjoy post like this some times I wish they would include the RCBS PRO 2000 in there some where, I may end up with 1 of each just because it will be the only way I get to the bottom of the questions about the wright press for the job I'm doing at that time and how versatile they can be for the price and also be able to kick out match ammo. The Dillon 1050 is one that I would like to see if it is worth the extra money. I have read some good articles on this subject but first hand experience goes a long way.
Thanks
Randy C

ACrowe25
01-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys. Was really helpful hearing first hand experiences from you. One major thing that swayed me to the SDB instead of 550 is the auto vs manual index. Not a speed thing or anything just a personal preference having loading on both forms of turrets. Later down the road I'm sure I'll have both anyways lol.

ACrowe25
01-08-2014, 08:49 PM
P&P she'll be fine. We're not married yet, so she is still in the phase (as I've been told) of pretending not to care what I spend money on. I'll take her to dinner and a nice movie and she'll forget about it.

Told her I couldn't keep up with her shooting habits and I'm sure she wasn't going to quit feeding he 1911.

Petrol & Powder
01-08-2014, 09:30 PM
P&P she'll be fine. We're not married yet, so she is still in the phase (as I've been told) of pretending not to care what I spend money on. I'll take her to dinner and a nice movie and she'll forget about it.

Told her I couldn't keep up with her shooting habits and I'm sure she wasn't going to quit feeding he 1911.

EXCELLENT! She shoots with you? You're WAY ahead of the curve. Although dinner and movie is a nice touch.

engineer401
01-08-2014, 09:36 PM
EXCELLENT! She shoots with you? You're WAY ahead of the curve. Although dinner and movie is a nice touch.

Mine used to shoot with me. Then we got married.

ACrowe25
01-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Mine used to shoot with me. Then we got married.

LOL! Well, we generally shoot once a week. I've went a few times when she is busy and lets just say she was pretty disappointed. Went again the next week forgetting to ask while she said "You know that is the 2nd time you went without me!!!".

Ah well, we're both college students without a lot of money. $20 range fee's combined makes up a great night to spend together out of the house in our opinion. Rounds are cheap loading your own or we wouldn't be able to do it.

Petrol & Powder
01-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Mine also shoots with me and she's a keeper. Just saying.

TheCelt
01-08-2014, 09:53 PM
I own two progressive presses, a Hornady LNL AP and a Dillon 650. There are features of the LNL AP I like such as the ability to remove a round from a station quickly and easily, and features of the 650 I find superior like the primer system. I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other as they both work extremely well. Either one will fit your needs and I don't think you'd regret the purchase of either one.

TXGunNut
01-08-2014, 11:34 PM
As much as I like my 550 I think you made the right choice. Being restricted to Dillon dies is no hardship, have a few sets for my 550 and they are second to none. If the Hornady press had been available back then I might have wound up in the red camp but that tall, silent machine on my press is proudly Dillon blue. I'd probably be better off with a couple of SDB's but my 550 predates them as well.
Can't help with the GF thing, never had one that truly liked to shoot.

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2014, 08:01 AM
few days practice and those square deals are ammo making machines!! At one time i had 5 of them set up in different calibers and they were about all i loaded on. Dont have much bad to say about them. Keep them clean and they will run and run.

Moonman
01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Lots of folks have 2 Square D's, one for 45ACP and one for 9MM.

I do my 45ACP on one, my first progressive, it makes lots of GOOD ammo.

I don't load for or really shoot much rifle stuff.

The different Dillon and Hornady LNL-AP presses are BOTH are A-OK and GOOD COMPANIES TOO!

A fair amount of reloading rooms have RED AND BLUE equipment, (I'm not talking LEE either).:Fire:

odis
01-09-2014, 11:40 AM
I have used one SD since the mid 80s and have loaded more ammo than I could count with it. I have seperate tool heads for each set of dies and a seperate primer feed for both small and large plus two powder throwers one with the small charge bar and the other with the large bar. The only thing about it I don't like is the auto index, its the only thing I have ever had a problem with and I don't like using large charges of ball powder with it. When I load heavy charges for my 45colt it splashes a little powder out of the case when it indexes, at the end of an extended session the press is dusted up pretty good with 296. I guess I'm one who would prefer a manual indexing machine.

DRNurse1
01-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Their single biggest shortcoming... they are pretty small. If you have large hands or your fingers are no longer nimble, you may not like it. I would recommend loading on one if you can before you buy.

Good luck!

AK

I would go with this information: Brian is the guy with all the Dillon parts. I think the 550 is manually indexed (I do not have one but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night). If you can justify the $$ and can find one, I recommend the XL650, auto indexing and five stations was the selling point for me, now I have two one for each primer size.

When I started, I figured I would never need to load many SPP cartridges so I figured just changing the primer system would work. I did that a bunch of times, and actually managed to do it proficiently [eventually]. Then, and fortunately before the Sandy Hook debacle, I won a 9MM pistol...and I started shooting in the Distinguished Revolver matches (38 Special pistol)...and another XL650 found its way to my bench.

I do not think I would start with two, but you may want to consider that possibility when laying out your reloading space. My 650's share a case feeder and are at right angles on one end of my bench.

DRNurse1
01-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. Was really helpful hearing first hand experiences from you. One major thing that swayed me to the SDB instead of 550 is the auto vs manual index. Not a speed thing or anything just a personal preference having loading on both forms of turrets. Later down the road I'm sure I'll have both anyways lol.

You have a Keeper there, now get her into the reloading room. Good choice on the press, too. I picked the 650 so that I could change calibers for little $$: from Dillon, a caliber change kit and dies are about $140, and the quick change kit including the powder reservoir and powder die is about $110. Cheaper than another press, right?

Enjoy your reloading adventures and remember the safety rules: Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast [or 'concentrate on the task at hand']; Eye protection; One powder and one prime type on your bench at any one time. If you are in a limited space and budget, safe storage of your components is nearly as important as for your firearms.

Maximumbob54
01-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Everything about the LNL AP is easy to swap out. Large to small primers change out is in minutes. Dies swap out in seconds. Shell plates swap out in seconds. You can either hot swap the powder measure for another or adjust it for the next case height and then adjust the powder drop. That part hands down takes the most amount of time. And you can buy the lower half of the body to leave with the dies so it's easier to swap them out.

Russel Nash
01-09-2014, 04:58 PM
I have a 650 with a case feeder. I had a 550 (without a casefeeder). I wish I had kept it now. :(

I see these types of threads all the time:

Hornady LnL vs. 550

Hornady LnL vs. 650

I am thinking that now the real big game changer with either the 550 or the 650 is this guy's two gadgets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-S-Custom-primer-pocket-swager-uniformer-for-Dillon-XL650-223-308-9mm-45-/221348437123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3389651c83

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-S-Custom-primer-pocket-swager-uniformer-for-Dillon-RL550-223-308-9mm-45-/321289138135?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ace532fd7

It swages out the primer crimp on military brass, especially .223/5.56 brass .

So with the Dillon casefeeder (you can tweak a 550 casefeeder to feed .223 brass, by the way), and the Dillon RT1200 trimmer, and either one of those gadgets above, you would be a brass processing machine! :grin:

If .223 is not your thing, then never mind!

If pistol is all you are going to do, then get the Dillon SDB.

Somebody mentioned earlier in this thread about a progressive press having 5 stations instead of 4. They said they would never buy a progressive press with just 4 stations.

Well, I am running my Dillon 650, where I leave the #3 station empty. I do not need a powder cop die. I have my own two eyes and lighting rigged up to look directly into the case to see where the powder is at. I have to look at the just charged case anyway to set the bullet on top of it anyway.

Now, if I had a bullet feeder, that would be a different story. I would use a powder cop die then.

r1kk1
01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Well, r1kk1 it's cool. Just paid fo rone via Brian Enos. Nice guy... Basically got a "free" primer flip tray (to reach $400 for shipping). Also am purchasing a SM from inline (Even better guy... if that's possible lol) along with their dual bin setup. My girlfriend is going to kill me, I'll just say it all showed up! :grin:

Well I have the 550 and load 45acp on it and really don't know if I'll keep the old SD. It's been upgraded by Dillon to the SDB.

Take care

r1kk1

gunoil
01-09-2014, 06:31 PM
are you a match shooter, do you demand alot of ammo?, do you demand a bullet drop die?

a)l have a S-1050 dillon

b) l have (2) loadmasters

IMO, loadmasters have not existed til 90 days ago, why? mikesreloadingbench.com

Mike has made loadmasters incredible. Go read his site above. I almost sold my loadmasters.

If you demand a bullet feeder buy a dillon 650.

timtonya
01-10-2014, 04:27 AM
I was in the same predicament. I bought the 550 and love it. My round count is low but I don't load big batches of ammo. Plus I like to experiment and the 550 fit the needs.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2014, 08:28 AM
in all realitiy swaping calibers on a square deal on takes a couple more minutes then on any other press. Only difference is a couple screws in the die plate.
I have used one SD since the mid 80s and have loaded more ammo than I could count with it. I have seperate tool heads for each set of dies and a seperate primer feed for both small and large plus two powder throwers one with the small charge bar and the other with the large bar. The only thing about it I don't like is the auto index, its the only thing I have ever had a problem with and I don't like using large charges of ball powder with it. When I load heavy charges for my 45colt it splashes a little powder out of the case when it indexes, at the end of an extended session the press is dusted up pretty good with 296. I guess I'm one who would prefer a manual indexing machine.

fredj338
01-10-2014, 04:07 PM
I faced the question of SDB or 550 35+ yrs ago. A no brainer to me, the 550. Restricting yourself to something as narrow as the SDB means you end up buying something else later. So buy once, done. You have no idea where your shooting hobby will end up & the SDB does NOT do rifle or even some handgun calibers, like 357sig or the big 50s. The 550 is an easy machine to run & keep running. One can easily do 400rds an hour, plenty for anyone but a hard core USPSA shooter.
As to the LNL vs 650, a fair comparison. Both are 5stn, both auto indexing. Price them equipped the same, the 650 is about $50-$60 more. For that you get a superior priming system & case feeder in the 650. The other small points like tool head vs locking bushings are personal pref.

ACrowe25
01-10-2014, 05:26 PM
I went with the SDB based on prior experiences of my own reloading what I like and don't like. I think I chose the correct press for me. We'll find out Wednesday (when it arrives lol).

Alvarez Kelly
01-10-2014, 07:58 PM
I went with the SDB based on prior experiences of my own reloading what I like and don't like. I think I chose the correct press for me. We'll find out Wednesday (when it arrives lol).
I predict you will be very happy, if not downright giddy. :-)

David2011
01-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Alvarez Kelly is right. You will like it. Then you will LOVE it. THen you will want a mor versatile prss when you discover rifles and buy a 550b. IMO, based on owning one since 1991, the 550b is the most economical to own, most versatile press on the market. It will load all but the very largest rifle cartridges and all pistol cartridges. Caliber conversions are far less expensive than the 650. Production is adequate unless you shoot a lot of matches which is why I eventually bought a 650 to feed my USPSA pistol. The 550 is great but a little slow to load 2500-3000/month. I still have a SDB in 9mm, a 550 with LOTS of conversion kits and a 650 that is used primarily for .40 S&W and .223. I thought about selling th 550 and conversion kits but th cost to replace for a 650 was substantial. My big bore pistol is all still loaded on a RCII because I seldom load more than 50 or 100 rounds at a time. I won't mess with a progressive for less than 100 rounds unless I have a full quick change with powder measure already set up and no way at all on a progressive for less than 50. I have nothing against the Hornady; just got started on Dillon when I bought the 550 new in '91 and have been a satisfied customer since.

I use the Hornady LnL busings and adapter on the RCII and it makes a world of difference in the convenience of a single stage. IMO a single stage is still necssary no matter how many progressives you own.

David

ACrowe25
01-11-2014, 01:44 AM
I'm already giddy. Just got done casting/lubing 500+ hg68 boolits. Have all weekend to cast. Don't want my new press to go hungry.

Besides, it'll help keep my mind off it or I'll go crazy waiting.

BruceB
01-11-2014, 02:57 AM
I must agree with David's comments above concerning the 550. Mine dates from the early '90s, as best I can remember now. I know I've had it since well before we immigrated from Canada in '97. anyway.

It is perfectly sufficient for my needs, and it will handle the rounds I load, from the 9mm to the .416 Rigby. That is a rather extreme spread in size. (Although I don't have a conversion for the Rigby, the cartridge WILL fit in the press. I just don't need THAT MANY .416 cartridges!)

The 550 just keeps perking along... no muss, no fuss, simply a smooth-working and reliable machine that seldom - if ever - needs tinkering when in use. I have very high regard for mine.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2014, 10:34 AM
got to say that if all i loaded was a couple pistol rounds id have gone back to square deals myself.

engineer401
01-11-2014, 01:53 PM
The 550 just keeps perking along... no muss, no fuss, simply a smooth-working and reliable machine that seldom - if ever - needs tinkering when in use. I have very high regard for mine.

Well said. I added a case feeder which limits me to pistol cartridges and is still a great reliable machine. I recently bought a 450 for rifle cartridges. Alvarez Kelly sent me a primer system for it.

OuchHot!
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
The needs of each of us is likely to be different and therefore different solutions apply. I shoot lots (10k+ each per yr) of 45acp, 38sp, and 5.56 and less quantities of 40S&W and the pistol magnums. My first progressive was a Lee Pro1000 .38sp which works very well once you understand them (and a pita until you do). It certainly is no Dillon or LnL! I have added other progressives over the years; two of which are more or less dedicated to the other high volume needs. I have lots of experience with Dillon and can afford anything I desire. I am not slumming with LnL or RCBS and each of them have customer service departments easily equal to Dillon. They are all good machines, just depends what you want. There is a lot of good sense in buying a SQb and later, if you need rifle, add one of the other presses. I would always want one dedicated progressive (at least) to service my high volume pistol needs. I don't like changing a progressive from one caliber to another for just a 100rd....probably use the rock chucker or lee classic turret for that. Then again, I have a room for reloading and someone working out of an apartment would see the world differently. For an apartment dweller, a SQb and lee classic turret would handle a very broad range of needs very well.

WILDEBILL308
01-13-2014, 04:52 PM
I think this is an interesting thread and it is hard for people to admit that they like other brands when they have bought X.
There are problems with any press. I have a 550 and it was the new “hot” press when I bought it. I don’t have any paperwork or other provenance any more but I think I have the first 550B shipped. I had called Dillon to order a 550 and they said if I could wait for a couple of days the new 550B would be released for shipment. They added that it would be the same price so I said I could wait. That being said I did have an interest in how the 650 and the L&L were to load on. I had the chance to use both machines and I thought both were good machines. However I am so far down the blue path with my 550B that it would cost too much to change over to anything else.
Perhaps if Hornadey had the L&L out when I was first looking I may have gone that way I think it is a good solid press.
I recommend the 650 for people who are starting out that want a machine that auto indexes as it does have the station for powder check. You will love the customer service from Dillon. I dropped a powder measure and cracked the plastic reservoir. I called Dillon and ordered a new one, told them I dropped the powder measure and I did not consider it a warranty item and that I expected to pay. They told me over the phone what it cost and I said ok. When it came there was no charge.
There will always be opinions on which machine is better. I wish Redding built a progressive that would be interesting.
Bill

OuchHot!
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
A club I was a member of had both Star/Phelps and SQb presses for pistol. I was always amazed at how many different people could use the SQb without problems or broken parts. The Star/Phelps are legendary but I think the SQb deserve their own accolades. The 1050 is a great press but I prefer more presses with a smaller footprint. One thing I can say is Dillon customer service has been consistently good from day one. I think the world of RCBS and Hornady customer service as well but have only called a couple of times in the last few years.

ACrowe25
01-13-2014, 09:24 PM
WOW! Never thought this thread would get some many views/comments. It's great though. Helped me a lot and definitely will continue to help people with a simple search that I could not find when I was in the market. Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to throw up some pictures when it comes in. My package from inline fab came today... great people. Looks bare mounted on my bench with well... no press :)

WILDEBILL308
01-14-2014, 10:42 PM
WOW! Never thought this thread would get some many views/comments. It's great though. Helped me a lot and definitely will continue to help people with a simple search that I could not find when I was in the market. Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to throw up some pictures when it comes in. My package from inline fab came today... great people. Looks bare mounted on my bench with well... no press :)
When you get your press if you have any questions or problems pick up the phone and call Dillon they will answer any questions and will be happy to assist you. They will walk you through setting up your press and making the few adjustments to get started.
Well Dillon did it to me again. I ordered a caliber conversion for 9mm and also an up dated primer catcher and the hardware to install it. Cost of the parts and primer cup $0.00.
Bill

gefiltephish
01-15-2014, 10:55 AM
I've often thought about getting an SDb or two. One for 45 acp (Mihec's HP bullets) and the other for my wife's 38spl wadcutters. Other bullets/calibers I'd run on the LNL, or for small batches, the LCT. For me, it's not so much that we shoot high volume, it's time constraints. I have very little spare time these days, so I think it would be beneficial to have a couple of dedicated setups that I don't have to keep resetting.

farmbif
01-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Something else to think about. The only progressive i have the is hornady ap. I just aquired an old marlin 336 in 35 rem. I just found out that hornady no longer makes a shell plate for the lnl ap that will fit 35 rem brass and i have not been able to find one anywhere. So it looks like i'll have to remount my old orange lyman turret to load some 35 rem. Other than that for me the hornady is a great machine and i can crank out a couple hundred loads of whatever i desire in about a half hour time with the hornady just not 35 rem. By the way if anyone has some 35 rem brass or a .358 rifle bullet mould don't hesitate to send me a message,

gefiltephish
01-16-2014, 12:27 PM
^^ I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to figure which plate comes the closest (without being to big) and have it machined to fit 35 Rem.

Randy C
01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Video please, of the press in action.

ACrowe25
01-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Video of?

Colorado4wheel
01-19-2014, 12:14 PM
My LnL was a nightmare in so many ways. It's not nearly the press the 650 is and it only offers features over the 550. My 550 was easy and fast. Never a issue. The LnL was always requiring something to be modded or fixed. Total PITA. 650 is the press to get if you really want all the features and reliability. Auto indexing is overrated with out a casefeeder.

kostner
01-21-2014, 10:55 PM
I have two SDB's 45,9mm&38/357 they are fast and easy to use. Seen them on ebay for as little as $250 and still have the life time warranty Dillon is famous for. Do all my rifle on a Lee Classic Turret. You could do all calibers on a 550 simplify your bench. SDB has auto indexing that I really like.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 09:28 PM
^ Yeah that was my biggest concern with a progressive: auto indexing. Removes the change of a squib... or a double charge (well... with all things considered--- I still inspect every case well, but it makes me feel "safer" in a way? Take that with a grain of salt).

I've really enjoyed my SDB so far. 1k rounds of 45 loaded up and ready to go. Shoot 200 the other day and my SA RO 1911 ate them like candy. No issues at all! Periodically checking the charges and always drops right at 5.3.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 09:29 PM
I too plan to load my hunting loads and rifle calibers on the lee classic turret along with my chargemaster for powder throws. The speed of my loading is right on pace with the CM. Can get 100/hr. The SDB I'm at 250/hr and not really going fast... That involves me checking powder every 15-20 throws or so.

Hunter
01-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Personally I prefer the Hornady L-N-L over the Dillon models.