PDA

View Full Version : News Flash!!! No more 22LR

762 shooter
01-07-2014, 11:29 AM
My brother just called me from a Walmart in the mountains of NC.

He asked the nice lady at sporting goods if they had any 22LR.

Lady: "No."

Brother:"Do you know when you will be getting more in?"

Lady:"Never. They are shutting down all the 22 ammunition plants."

Brother:"Really?"

Lady:"Yes, and you know when they start making them again they will be using gunpowder that won't last long."

Brother:"I didn't know that."

You heard it here first. (Pretend that this post is written in the stupidity font).

gray wolf
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Lady at Walmart ??????????????????
Now I bet she knows what's going on-----NOT

Lefty SRH
01-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I sure hope this is BS!

gnoahhh
01-07-2014, 11:40 AM
They walk among us...

Freightman
01-07-2014, 11:41 AM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Beagle333
01-07-2014, 11:44 AM
The lady at my WM said they were out, but there will be some on the truck tonight. She said there was some last night and a "couple of guys" just before me bought what came in. But there is some coming in every night and that I should check back each day.
I hate those "couple of guys"!!!! They beat me to the LGS and get the powder too!! :roll:

Doc_Stihl
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
That's hilarious....

marlin39a
01-07-2014, 11:54 AM
And I'll bet her mother & father were brother & sister!

nhrifle
01-07-2014, 11:57 AM
They walk among us...

And they reproduce...

bikerbeans
01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Her family tree doesn't have any branches.

BB

theperfessor
01-07-2014, 12:06 PM
And they vote....

Hogdaddy
01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
And they vote....

That's the scary part ; )
H/D

thompsonm1a1
01-07-2014, 12:15 PM
with the millions of 22 guns out there in the world someone will always be making the rounds as there are to be $ made selling them.

MtGun44
01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
LOL!

BS.

Bill

Four-Sixty
01-07-2014, 12:23 PM
No manufacutrer would ever produce a round with gunpowder that expires. The liability would be enourmous.

762 shooter
01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Calm down.

I just relayed this because it was so amazingly ignorant. I didn't mean to scare anyone.

jcwit
01-07-2014, 12:35 PM
The lady at my WM said they were out, but there will be some on the truck tonight. She said there was some last night and a "couple of guys" just before me bought what came in. But there is some coming in every night and that I should check back each day.
I hate those "couple of guys"!!!! They beat me to the LGS and get the powder too!! :roll:

I hear this over and over. There are 4,170 Wal-Marts in the U.S., that means that 8,240 guys are buying up all of the .22 ammo that Wal-Mart gets. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Even if that "couple" was 3 times a "couple" that still only 24,720 guys. Not even the population of a medium town.

Wal-Mart must be at the bottom of the list as far as supply goes, which I seriously doubt.

I've said it before

There's not a rat in the wood pile, there's a SKUNK UNDER THE PORCH!

canthitsquat
01-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Lady:"Yes, and you know when they start making them again they will be using gunpowder that won't last long."

You heard it here first. (Pretend that this post is written in the stupidity font).

762 She could be right! My gunpowder doesn't last long.

lmfd20
01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
After they took down the sign saying that you can only buy 3 boxes at my local Walmart, they had some 762x39 on the shelf. I told the lady that I wanted some of it. She said how many? I said 4 since that was all they had. Her reply was, "I can only sell you three, I don't want to go to jail! ". I said excuse me, why would you go to jail? "Well it's a felony to sell more than three boxes of ammunition to one person". I proceeded to explain to her that there was no such law and that it was an individual store policy to sell only three boxes of ammo. The store 17 miles away, that also sells firearms including ar's will sell you 10 boxes. The guy working there said that they get more ammo than any store in the area because they sell more. She did not believe me, so i had her call them. When she told them that what they were doing was illegal, all I heard was laughing coming from the phone. I haven't seen that lady working the sporting goods counter since.

Hardcast416taylor
01-07-2014, 12:46 PM
As I read the 3 key words, "mountains of NC, Woman, and WalMart". I immediately knew it was hogwash.Robert

HATCH
01-07-2014, 12:46 PM
The primers would be what they would have to put a kill time on.
If the gun powder is **** after (lets say) 5 years but the primer is still good then there will be a bunch of stuck bullets in barrels from primer only fired rounds.
Plus not to mention that no matter what they variance would really screw with you.
Lets say its rated at 5 years... thats 5 years on average. So some rounds stop working after 4 years (or less) and some last 6 years or more.

Lets say Bobby Joe is at home defending herself from a attacker, being the legal gun owner she is, and she goes to fire her weapon.
The bullets in her gun are 4 years old (less then the 5 year kill date) and guess what... he doesn't fire. She gets raped and beat 1/2 to death.
Lawsuit city right there.

w5pv
01-07-2014, 12:57 PM
There will be all the 22lr cal ammo you want when the panic buying goes away.It is not the manufacturing companies that is creating the shortages it is the users.Just as the rumor Doe Run was the only lead smelter in the US,Google "Nyrstar" in Tennessee and see what they do for a living.

DRNurse1
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Having difficulty uplading an image of this quote:

"The fact that jelly fish have survived for 650 million years without brains provides hope for stupid people everywhere."

Just my $0.02

Walmart lady tried to school me (remember I don's know S### about rifles) on the .223 and .22LR 'frames' they had for sale....[I was loooking at AR-15 style receivers in .223, ,22LR and SOCOM (5.56 NATO???)], but she knew better...LOL.---:bigsmyl2:

smoked turkey
01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Sounds like her gene pool is pretty shallow.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-07-2014, 01:15 PM

"The fact that jelly fish have survived for 650 million years without brains provides hope for stupid people everywhere."

Just my $0.02

Walmart lady tried to school me (remember I don's know S### about rifles) on the .223 and .22LR 'frames' they had for sale....[I was loooking at AR-15 style receivers in .223, ,22LR and SOCOM (5.56 NATO???)], but she knew better...LOL.---:bigsmyl2:

Here ya go

gray wolf
01-07-2014, 01:19 PM
She could be right! My gunpowder doesn't last long.
Now THAT ! ^^^^^^^^ has some truth to it, Made me chuckle a bit.

John 242
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
I hear this over and over. There are 4,170 Wal-Marts in the U.S., that means that 8,240 guys are buying up all of the .22 ammo that Wal-Mart gets. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Even if that "couple" was 3 times a "couple" that still only 24,720 guys. Not even the population of a medium town.

Wal-Mart must be at the bottom of the list as far as supply goes, which I seriously doubt.

I've said it before

My Walmart is the only big box store in the local area and I haven't seen .22 LR on the shelves for over a year. When .22LR shows up at the store, it's sold at 7:00 AM, and there is always a line of people waiting. All of the .22 LR is gone within half an hour.

It's my guess that many of those waiting in line are tipped off by certain employees, prior to the ammo being sold.

Regardless, what typically happens whenever .22 LR arrives at the store, withing hours of all the .22 LR being sold out, the local area Facebook outdoors, shooting, swapping and selling sites will have listings for .22LR for two to three times the price that Walmart sells it for. And guess what? It doesn't last long.

From what I understand, this is the same pattern for all the Walmart stores within reasonable driving distance from my location. So, unless I'm willing to spend two to three times the Walmart price for .22LR, I'm out of luck.

For a little over a week, several brands of 9mm Luger and .45 ACP sat on the shelves. A friend of mine who had never shot before wanted me to take her to the range. I went to pick up some factory ammo, and of course, it was all gone. Luckily I've bought a box or two when I had the opportunity.

The point is that the ammo is showing up, but it's being snatched up off the shelves, either because of hoarding or by scalpers looking to make a buck.

This craziness is killing us.

frkelly74
01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
If it weren't for mis-information, there would be very little information at all.

jcwit
01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Are these Black Market sellers doing any reporting?

John 242
01-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Of course there are online vendors such as this one; http://www.slickguns.com/product/aguila-high-velocity-22-long-riffle-40gr-sp-50-rnds-695 where you can pay $60 for a 500 round brick of Agulia, plus shipping, or pay the local scalpers $70+ for 500 rounds of Winchester with a Walmart shelf price of less than $40.

By the way, the same brick of Winchester cheapo .22s at the local gunshows would run between $70 and $200

John 242
01-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Are these Black Market sellers doing any reporting?

Not sure what you mean by "reporting." Here in Oklahoma, along with Texas, there is no requirement to report the sales of ammunition. There is also no Federal requirement to have an FFL to sell ammo (need an 06 FFL to manufacture ammo, but not to sell factory ammo).

Whether or not the scalpers are violating local laws by operating a business without a license, well, good luck with that.

Outpost75
01-07-2014, 02:04 PM
People who rely on information from sales people working in either auto dealerships or behind gunshop counters are too stupid to be allowed to operate complex machinery, such as automobiles or firearms and are unable to govern themselves.

waynem34
01-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I score 22lr and 22mags at walmar all the time.Just the luck of the draw.Depends on when they want to stock the cabinet and who is still standing there lol.I started taking breaks with them like im an employee to get inside tips.YMMV.

jonp
01-07-2014, 02:09 PM
darn it all! Yesterday I heard something about something called Doe Run and now this. Anyone heard of Doe Run?

jonp
01-07-2014, 02:10 PM

Just my $0.02

Your not serious, right?

oldred
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM

I've said it before

As I told you in that other thread, I have been there and I have personally seen it! You can keep telling yourself it's BS if that makes you feel better but most of us here know better and most have seen it also! It's not just a "couple of guys" at each Wal-Mart, it's usually more than that but they are indeed the same people at the head of the line EVERY time ammo is delivered and they do indeed buy up every single round of RF ammo the store will allow them to have, any that's left is instantly snapped up by those still in line! Close your eyes and pretend there is no ammo coming in, stopped by the Government (or the manufacturers for whatever unimaginable reason), but we have seen it and watched it being sold before it hits the shelves, I suggest you get out on stocking day and see for yourself!

The only "Skunk" here is under YOUR porch!

jlucke69
01-07-2014, 02:45 PM
I think it is the perfect answer, if you work at the Walmart Sporting Goods and are sick and tired of people asking if you have any 22 in stock. Maybe if she says it enough, people will quit coming in and bugging her. I wonder how many times a day they have to answer that question? I know mine has gone to having a big yellow sign out that says we do not have 22 ammo today. We see it available about 2-3 times a week.

Lee
01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
I've got a couple of bridges, and some sweet land for sale. Anyone interested?????

pdawg_shooter
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM
That lady (?) in Wally Word is proof that some people should not be allowed to breed!

John 242
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
I score 22lr and 22mags at walmar all the time.Just the luck of the draw.Depends on when they want to stock the cabinet and who is still standing there lol.I started taking breaks with them like im an employee to get inside tips.YMMV.

You're a lucky guy.
Myself, I have better things to do than wait in line for several hours prior to 0700 every morning, in the hope that may be some .22s available. Of course it's a gamble as to whether any ammo came in the night prior, unless you have the 'hook up'.

Unfortunately, I don't have the inside info that the local scalpers seem to have, nor do I have friends and family that can stand with me and buy up as much ammo as possible. Instead, myself along with hundreds of others here locally, get hosed.
There's .22s available, if you want to spend fifteen to twenty-cents per round. That's okay, I'm good.

Good for you, though.

I'm not whining. I understand that it's human nature to take advantage of situations like this. High volume .22 shooters are willing to pay twice the shelf price for ammo, which creates a black market. Others are simply buying up whatever .22 LR they can, if they see it at a reasonable price. I would too, if I could find it. Oh well, maybe in a year or two...

Jailer
01-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

dsol
01-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Frankly I am getting sick and tired of the people with no jobs staking out the stores and buying up all the 22lr then reselling it for double. At least I bought a box or two a month for a while years ago and have enough to plink with. But I cannot replace what I shoot and that is annoying. I really should buy a box from some of these scalpers and turn them in to the IRS because I am sure they are not reporting the income...

jcwit
01-07-2014, 06:06 PM
As I told you in that other thread, I have been there and I have personally seen it! You can keep telling yourself it's BS if that makes you feel better but most of us here know better and most have seen it also! It's not just a "couple of guys" at each Wal-Mart, it's usually more than that but they are indeed the same people at the head of the line EVERY time ammo is delivered and they do indeed buy up every single round of RF ammo the store will allow them to have, any that's left is instantly snapped up by those still in line! Close your eyes and pretend there is no ammo coming in, stopped by the Government (or the manufacturers for whatever unimaginable reason), but we have seen it and watched it being sold before it hits the shelves, I suggest you get out on stocking day and see for yourself!

What you've seen is whats happening at the Wally World that you have been then you have an opinion as to whats happening at all the other Wally Worlds in the nation. So much for your new found "facts".

You need to check out your wood pile for the rats before you start looking under my porch for the skunks.

MUSTANG
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
It amazes me that the Manufacturers have not expanded production. A simple business case:

If we assume 6 Billion rounds of 22LR are produced in the US annually, and it is insufficient to meet demands; then:

1. 500 rds in a box goes into 6 Billion to give you 12 Million boxes.
2. 12 Million boxes at and assumed Mfg mark up of $3.50 per box yields $42 million.

A significant expansion of capacity should be available for $42 million, resulting in increased revenues and profits within 30 to 36 months.

If Winchester, Remington, CCI/Speer, et al.. needs a well seasoned Project Manager to get this going drop me a PM.

Col4570
01-07-2014, 06:25 PM
What going off over there,we have always been envious of the shooting items available in the USA.I hope the situation improves for you guys.What has triggered off this bulk buying frenzy.

NewbieDave007
01-07-2014, 06:25 PM
The information is available in Wal-Mart's website. Although I'm sure that some are "tipped off", with the Wal-Mart app and/or website you can be "tipped off" also.

If you want 22lr from Wal-Mart in my area it will cost you sleep, but you will be able to buy it. That's how a decent amount of the scalpers are getting it.

Pertaining to the OP, gotta love idiots, but unfortunately they seem to breed like rabbits.

762 shooter
01-07-2014, 06:27 PM
What you've seen is whats happening at the Wally World that you have been then you have an opinion as to whats happening at all the other Wally Worlds in the nation. So much for your new found "facts".

You need to check out your wood pile for the rats before you start looking under my porch for the skunks.

Sir,

I have followed several of your posts in different threads about the shortage. Could you expound on your theory of the shortage causes. If I have missed it please direct me to the thread. This is not sarcasm. I would really like to know.

PalmettoShooter
01-07-2014, 06:39 PM
no more 22lr? think it's because of the foundry they closed???

need... sarcasm... font...

oldred
01-07-2014, 07:03 PM

I explained in another post I was using Wal-Mart as an example but the same thing happens at most places that sell ammo and supplies, besides I'm far from the only one here who has witnessed it. So even with several people telling you they too have seen the same thing and the employees at Wal-Mart and other stores telling us they sell it before it hits the shelves you think because YOU have not seen it then it's not true? Well you're dead wrong pal because it IS true whether YOU believe it or not! Whether you want to accept it or not it's a fact, the ammo manufacturers are working overtime trying to meet the demand and dealers are selling it as fast as they can unpack it, there is more ammo being made and sold now than there was just two years ago, WAY more! I guess some Tin-Foil-Hat types are going to blame the Government for everything from this shortage to the bad weather and if you want to believe that non-sense have at it the rest of us know better.

Ok you think the shortage is some dark sinister plot by someone, the Government? The ammo manufacturers who must not want all that extra profit? How about you explain your silly theory?

Tin-Foil-Hats in aisle 5

Ickisrulz
01-07-2014, 07:10 PM
There will be all the 22lr cal ammo you want when the panic buying goes away.It is not the manufacturing companies that is creating the shortages it is the users.Just as the rumor Doe Run was the only lead smelter in the US,Google "Nyrstar" in Tennessee and see what they do for a living.

http://www.nyrstar.com/products/Pages/lead.aspx

jcwit
01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I explained in another post I was using Wal-Mart as an example but the same thing happens at most places that sell ammo and supplies, besides I'm far from the only one here who has witnessed it. So even with several people telling you they too have seen the same thing and the employees at Wal-Mart and other stores telling us they sell it before it hits the shelves you think because YOU have not seen it then it's not true? Well you're dead wrong pal because it IS true whether YOU believe it or not! Whether you want to accept it or not it's a fact, the ammo manufacturers are working overtime trying to meet the demand and dealers are selling it as fast as they can unpack it, there is more ammo being made and sold now than there was just two years ago, WAY more! I guess some Tin-Foil-Hat types are going to blame the Government for everything from this shortage to the bad weather and if you want to believe that non-sense have at it the rest of us know better.

Ok you think the shortage is some dark sinister plot by someone, the Government? The ammo manufacturers who must not want all that extra profit? How about you explain your silly theory?

Tin-Foil-Hats in aisle 5

Red, You are entitled to your opinion which I happen to disagree with, but I am also entitled to mine and to disagree with yours. Don't like it? Tough! Get over it!

You feel I'm dead wrong, fine with me, I feel you are way short in your knowledge as to just whats going on, that should be fine with you, which obviously isn't. Seems as if its your way or the highway.

Have I blamed the Government? Nope! I just find it ridiculous to think a few old men and welfare bums are buying up all the ammo Wally World puts out on a daily basis nation wide, using their S/S & welfare checks to accomplish this. Ain't happening, tin foil hats or no!

But if you wish to accept that, its fine with me and take it on the road with you. Road maps available in the book & magazine section at a nominal cost.

Beagle333
01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Beer and donuts used to be worth a phone call when the WW bucket was full.... I wonder if beer and donuts will garner a quick text message from the WM associate when the .22LR truck comes in? Hmmmmm. [smilie=1:

oldred
01-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Double post

oldred
01-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Red, You are entitled to your opinion which I happen to disagree with, but I am also entitled to mine and to disagree with yours. Don't like it? Tough! Get over it!

You feel I'm dead wrong, fine with me, I feel you are way short in your knowledge as to just whats going on, that should be fine with you, which obviously isn't. Seems as if its your way or the highway.

Have I blamed the Government? Nope! I just find it ridiculous to think a few old men and welfare bums are buying up all the ammo Wally World puts out on a daily basis nation wide, using their S/S & welfare checks to accomplish this. Ain't happening, tin foil hats or no!

But if you wish to accept that, its fine with me and take it on the road with you. Road maps available in the book & magazine section at a nominal cost.

No explanation? Didn't think so!

It's not just a "few old men and welfare bums" doing this, it's just about everybody who shoots! It's people who didn't even own a gun before the panic, it's people who want to "stock up" so they don't get caught again, it's people who are buying every round they can get their hands on because they think they are going to be able to sell it at a profit and those people are a lot more than just a few old men and bums! The real reason is quite clear for those of us who don't see a sinister plot behind every tree.

Like I said, Tin-Foil-Hats in aisle 5

canthitsquat
01-07-2014, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking about dressing in my camo and painting my face and going into Wal-Mart and telling them I want to buy all of their guns and ammunition!

oldred
01-07-2014, 07:40 PM
I'm thinking about dressing in my camo and painting my face and going into Wal-Mart and telling them I want to buy all of their guns and ammunition!

Won't work, all the ammo is reserved for guys wearing black suits, dark glasses and driving black SUVs.

jcwit
01-07-2014, 07:52 PM
No explanation? Didn't think so!

It's not just a "few old men and welfare bums" doing this, it's just about everybody who shoots! It's people who didn't even own a gun before the panic, it's people who want to "stock up" so they don't get caught again, it's people who are buying every round they can get their hands on because they think they are going to be able to sell it at a profit and those people are a lot more than just a few old men and bums! The real reason is quite clear for those of us who don't see a sinister plot behind every tree.

Being as you think you are the only one here with a valid opinion, so be it, whatever you say or claim, be it right or wrong.

Where did I say there is/was a sinister plot? But its obvious you know it all and have a closed mind to anyone else's thoughts or opinions, thats OK, I can handle it.

jcwit
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Won't work, all the ammo is reserved for guys wearing black suits, dark glasses and driving black SUVs.

Whatever you say!

Jbiker
01-07-2014, 07:54 PM
ya but look at all the entertainment the walmat, hill people have given us ....common ya gotta smile !!!!! when all this horse**** started after Newtown, all the media inaccuracies, misidentification's,and outright lies.......than then the run on the gun store panic...you have to ask yourself , rationally, if any CORPORATE entity could increase their output to the demand level......it's totally impossible ......the lack of ..22 ammo is basically because everyone is buying it and there is a finite quantity being manufactured..........it's not a government funded business...and the tooling and employee labor force was NT there for a demand increase on the order of 300 %....think about it...making ammo for sale...ie ..a class 6 license, the insurance liability , ect....huge !!! and would you trust any of these out of work welfare dependent, non skilled people to be making ammo for your gun ???

okay you got me on a rant ....but think about it . :-<(0))))

oldred
01-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Being as you think you are the only one here with a valid opinion.

And I'm the only one here with that opinion, have you read any other posts?

jcwit
01-07-2014, 08:35 PM
Whatever you say red, you dah man!

You aren't the only who may be wrong!

hound-1
01-07-2014, 08:50 PM
I was in Wal-Mart in Newfoundland in Oct, their ammo rack was stocked, shells even in boxes behind the counter. I couldn't buy any of course . The Wal-Mart near me as a limit , 3 bricks/boxes I think , My FFL was telling me about a guy we both know,who has a couple guys that check everyday and buy all they can, he gives them $10.00 over what they pay , then he sells them for $10.00 more then that. I'm sure this isn't just one dealer doing this, as long as folks keeping paying it wont stop anytime soon....Ed

9.3X62AL
01-07-2014, 09:07 PM
I always reserve the right to be wrong.

That said, ANY shooting hobbyist that buys ONE 50-ROUND BOX of 22 LR ammo from these G-- d--- scalpers is screwing EVERYONE who shoots. REFUSE to do business with these ******s--completely. Capitalism, YES--greed, HELL NO!

NewbieDave007
01-07-2014, 09:30 PM

That said, ANY shooting hobbyist that buys ONE 50-ROUND BOX of 22 LR ammo from these G-- d--- scalpers is screwing EVERYONE who shoots. REFUSE to do business with these ******s--completely. Capitalism, YES--greed, HELL NO!

You are 100% correct.

yman
01-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Well you all finally caught me, me and my brother have been going around to all the walmarts everynight and buy up all the 22 ammo soon as they put it on the shelves. We have been storing it at our cousions place out west. It is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, 83 miles (133 km) north-northwest of Las Vegas. He rents out some of the space to the Goverment and they keep some stuff they found lying in the desert around roswell,nm there, looks like a bunch of scrap to me.
Now I know what your thinking, how to 2 guys make it aroung to every walmart everynite, well we do it, every day last year, except for 1, December 24th. and Uncle Nick had use the sleigh that nite.

jcwit
01-07-2014, 09:51 PM

You nailed it!

John 242
01-07-2014, 10:09 PM
The information is available in Wal-Mart's website. Although I'm sure that some are "tipped off", with the Wal-Mart app and/or website you can be "tipped off" also.

If you want 22lr from Wal-Mart in my area it will cost you sleep, but you will be able to buy it. That's how a decent amount of the scalpers are getting it.

Pertaining to the OP, gotta love idiots, but unfortunately they seem to breed like rabbits.

Could you provide a link or explain how I can track ammo deliveries to my local store. I'd be willing to wait until I have to leave for school, if I knew when the ammo was supposed to be showing up. Your help would be much appreciated.

bhn22
01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Calm down.

I just relayed this because it was so amazingly ignorant. I didn't mean to scare anyone.

I dunno, she sounds pretty knowledgeable.

NewbieDave007
01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Could you provide a link or explain how I can track ammo deliveries to my local store. I'd be willing to wait until I have to leave for school, if I knew when the ammo was supposed to be showing up. Your help would be much appreciated.

I did a write-up in "Our Town" about a week or more ago. Search my name or try searching "Our Town".

I got two Winchester 555 this morning (but could've gotten three) with the process that I spelled out in the write-up.

Good luck.
Dave

John 242
01-07-2014, 10:30 PM
I did a write-up in "Our Town" about a week or more ago. Search my name or try searching "Our Town".

I got two Winchester 555 this morning (but could've gotten three) with the process that I spelled out in the write-up.

Good luck.
Dave

Thanks, I'll look for it.
I appreciate it.

NewbieDave007
01-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I'll look for it.
I appreciate it.

No worries. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck.
Dave

dmize
01-07-2014, 10:49 PM
A co-workers roommate has a Wal Mart "app" on his smartphone that tells him when the local Wal Mart has an ammo delivery.
ANYONE that buys any ammo over the internet is a friggin idiot that is doing nothing more than "feeding the beast". EXACT reason I will never ever do any business at all with Cheaper Than Dirt to say the least. As Jeff Quinn stated,Ammo companies have NOT raised their prices.

GaryN
01-07-2014, 10:55 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Hahahaha!!! Good one.

oldred
01-07-2014, 11:01 PM

Still waiting on your explanation???

All you can say is "well you got it all wrong, no no it can't be people lining up to buy it all, no no it just can't be that, it's just got to be something sinister"! "You guys just THINK you are seeing that, it CAN'T be that, no it's not that, it's uh, uh uh, well it's some other something that's causing this shortage, something that stinks, yeah THAT'S it"!

There's a special on Tin-Foil-Hats this week, half price!

btroj
01-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Man oh man, the cabin fever is getting bad today

NewbieDave007
01-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Sometimes I would love to know if a 12 is typing away for some people. It is interesting when people talk c&@p behind a keyboard.

jcwit
01-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Still waiting on your explanation???

All you can say is "well you got it all wrong, no no it can't be people lining up to buy it all, no no it just can't be that, it's just got to be something sinister"! "You guys just THINK you are seeing that, it CAN'T be that, no it's not that, it's uh, uh uh, well it's some other something that's causing this shortage, something that stinks, yeah THAT'S it"!

There's a special on Tin-Foil-Hats this week, half price!

Rush out and get those hats red, you probably need one, after all no one else has the right to an opinion, but you of course.

oldred
01-07-2014, 11:08 PM

You nailed it!

After all that non-sense you been saying you now say this????? I thought you said scalpers (welfare bums?) wasn't a problem?? Make up your mind, Lol!

jcwit
01-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Its obvious they don't help the problem, but I refuse to believe that a few old guys on S/S and a few welfare bums are the major problem. Its much deeper than that. What it is I don't know but I do believe the small shipments that are coming in is a drop in the bucket from what it could be available. There my mind is made up, at least to my satisfaction, maybe not to yours but that is of little consequence as far as I'm concerned. hehehehehehe

Then tell us why quality match ammo is available at the same price point that it was years ago before this madness started. Plus its close to the same price point the scalpers are attempting to sell their plinking ammo on the black market.

I'm done with you red, the option list just grew by one more!

starmac
01-07-2014, 11:51 PM
I don't know how a guy would get a round count from the retailers, but I would bet the farm sportsmans are selling more 22 ammo a month here than they used to in 6 months, and doing it one day at a time. Wallmart has always had a practice of beating the manufacturers down on prices, so they may just be getting what they originally contracted. They are higher than sportsmans here, telling me they may have eased up to get ammo. Here at least. I do not know if the same people buys it, they have a one brick limit, but I do know it sells right off the pallet, never seeing the shelf.

oldred
01-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Its obvious they don't help the problem, but I refuse to believe that a few old guys on S/S and a few welfare bums are the major problem.

And where do you get the idea it's only a few "old men and welfare bums"???? it's NOT just a "few old guys and welfare bums"! It's a LOT more than that and it seems everybody and his uncle is looking for RF ammo and will buy their limit if they can find it. It's thousands upon thousands of people in a panic buying mode who will buy far more than they would have before the panic started that's the problem, those lines that form at Wal-Mart (again just an example) are much more than just welfare bums. Just ask the people behind the counter of any big sporting goods supplier and they will tell you they sell a lot more ammo than they did a couple of years ago and could sell a lot more than they do if they could get it.

oldred
01-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Wallmart has always had a practice of beating the manufacturers down on prices, so they may just be getting what they originally contracted.

The local Wal-Mart here sells a lot more ammo overall than they did pre-panic but as the sporting goods manager told me "RF" is just crazy! He said the calls and customers asking at the counter have slowed somewhat but he told me they are getting nearly twice as much RF as they did a year ago but it don't even make it to the shelf except on rare occasions. Back about two months ago I saw some Winchester 22 lr (333 packs) sitting on the shelf and even mentioned it here but they were gone the next day and I haven't seen any since. So Wal-Mart here at least is selling nearly twice the amount of RF it did a year ago and could sell a lot more if it was available.

freebullet
01-08-2014, 12:33 AM
I heard they are going to stop selling toilet paper because no one likes it.

David2011
01-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Being as you think you are the only one here with a valid opinion, so be it, whatever you say or claim, be it right or wrong.

Where did I say there is/was a sinister plot? But its obvious you know it all and have a closed mind to anyone else's thoughts or opinions, thats OK, I can handle it.

I hit every Walmart in West Texas from San Angelo to Lubbock and all of them in SE New Mexico. Every one of them confirms "regulars" who wait for the ammo to be put out in the mornings. A customer came into the Carlsbad, NM Walmart last January while a local gunshow was going on. He bought every box thy had, somewhere around 12-15 boxes of .300 WinMag, at normal retail price. I didn't want to be so obvious as to count them while he was standing there. That alone is no evidence but read on. The clerk told me that he does it all the time but with whatever cartridge he can buy. Now, I didn't go back to the gun show again just to see if he was reselling but how hard is it to connect the dots? That is enough information to let allow me to consider that a limited number of people just may sucking up most of the .22 ammo within 200 miles of my home.

David

Uncle R.
01-08-2014, 01:08 AM
Well you all finally caught me, me and my brother have been going around to all the walmarts everynight and buy up all the 22 ammo soon as they put it on the shelves. We have been storing it at our cousions place out west. It is located in the southern portion of Nevada in the western United States, 83 miles (133 km) north-northwest of Las Vegas. He rents out some of the space to the Goverment and they keep some stuff they found lying in the desert around roswell,nm there, looks like a bunch of scrap to me.
Now I know what your thinking, how to 2 guys make it aroung to every walmart everynite, well we do it, every day last year, except for 1, December 24th. and Uncle Nick had use the sleigh that nite.

[smilie=l: :bigsmyl2:

You and your brother?
Is your last name Hunt?
Didn't you guys try this once with silver a long time ago?
:drinks:

I know a fellow who's in a managerial position in one of the largest sporting goods outfitter stores in the country. He told me almost a year ago "Uncle R - I can get in a semi load of ammo and reloading components and it will ALL be gone in one day.

I work with a guy who went through the early morning ammo drill at another sporting goods store with a nationally known name. They were lined up in the parking lot 45 minutes before the doors opened on "ammo day" and taking numbers as they walked in the door. Not just one or two or a dozen but over a hundred people. The store clerks didn't even bother putting the ammo on the shelves - just took it off the pallets and passed it out based on customer numbers and store limits. In way less than an hour, several pallets of rimfire and pistol ammo were gone.

I have a friend who manages still another sporting goods store - he tells me they DO get periodic shipments of ammo although not as much as he'd like. When a few cases of rimfire ammo come in it's gone in less than a day even with strict sales limits.

I believe the distributors and manufacturers are telling the truth, at least for the most part. Everyone and his brother are trying to stock their closets with ammo. A hundred million rimfire guns out there and every owner would like to see five thousand rounds on his shelf - just for his own safety net against current and future shortages. That's - lemme see - dang my calculator's tripped over into exponential notation! That's ummmm... Five billion - no wait - five hundred billion - aw cheez my head hurts - well, anyway - that's a scatload of ammo!

The manufacturers will catch up - eventually - and we'll all be well-stocked for the next imperial Japanese invasion.

Uncle R.

jcwit
01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
And why is match ammo still available with no increase in price?

There is more to it than just the hoarders & scalpers, just what that is I'm not sure of yet

But the skunk is still there.

762 shooter
01-08-2014, 09:05 AM

There is more to it than just the hoarders & scalpers, just what that is I'm not sure of yet

Your inability or unwillingness to enlighten us as to the nature of the skunk brings to mind a quote from my favorite Greek philosopher, Lovenius Lifemedes,

"You are dead to me."

oldred
01-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Because it's usually at such a premium there's no profit in it for scalpers and it's also too expensive to buy in bulk for most people who are just "stocking up", even the scalpers have regular RF ammo "in stock" because their price for regular RF is comparable to some target ammo! Besides it too usually sells out as soon as the other stuff is gone, checked Midway lately trying to find target Rf ammo? Weidners is even "SOLD OUT" of Wolf brand of target 22 ammo at $7 per box of 50, Lol!

You bet that skunk is still there but he's under your porch and that's the reason only YOU can smell him!

jcwit
01-08-2014, 10:22 AM
Your inability or unwillingness to enlighten us as to the nature of the skunk brings to mind a quote from my favorite Greek philosopher, Lovenius Lifemedes,

"You are dead to me."

Realizing something is wrong and knowing without a doubt what it is are two different skunks.

I believe its more than just demand, but do not know what is the final cause, but I'm sure oldred can tell us what it is. At least his opinion anyway. Whatever that opinion may be.

oldred
01-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Yes Oldred can tell you what he, and others here who have told you also, what is clear to us and that's the long lines at stores and "sold out, no backorder" at on-line retailers. The problem is all too clear but you OTOH want to insist that "no, no it can't be that, it's got to be some other something, don't know what but "something that stinks". No you never mention the Government specifically but you are clearly alluding to Government interference by your constant reference to something stinks (what else could you be talking about?) when the real cause is plain as day and and anyone with enough common sense can see that!

Tin-Foil-Hat non-sense is something we don't need because the anti-gunners just love to portray us as a bunch of radical conspiracy nuts and blaming the Government for things that are clearly explained by the obvious, such as the ammo shortage with it's very obvious explanation, is just playing into their hands! The Government is guilty of enough meddling, meddling that's not only obvious but widely reported, so that we don't need to make up stuff that we can't back up (which you clearly have zero evidence of any kind of sinister involvement by ANYONE). If there was any sinister plot such as you are inferring, like the ammo manufacturers lying about production or ammo supplies being limited by Government interference, outfits like the NRA and other shooting organizations would be screaming from the roof tops and taking the perpetrators to task in both the media and the courts yet we don't hear these silly accusations from them, why is that? Yes you have a right to what you want to believe and to just ignore what is in plain view but to dispute this clear evidence by saying "I believe it's something else, I don't know what but something" while obviously ALLUDING to Government interference without a shred of proof that ANYTHING else is involved is stretching reasonable belief to the limits and beyond!

jcwit
01-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Still hammering away oldred, I guess?

How bout you make the last post so you can feel as if you've won!

jcwit
01-08-2014, 11:57 AM
As someone else posted.

I elect to agree -- to disagree.
Sorry I ain't buying it, but I can understand the rational being used by some others.

contender1
01-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Ok, I LIVE in the mountains of WNC. I happen to visit the occasional Wally World and check the ammo selection.

I have read all 5 pages of this thread.

I would like to politely ask the OP to relate which Wally World this ignorant woman worked at.

I doubt it's my regular one as I rarely see a woman in the Sporting goods dept. But, it could easily be one of several others I know of.

Could we know which one/town it was in please?

oldred
01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
As someone else posted.

"I elect to agree -- to disagree.
Sorry I ain't buying it, but I can understand the rational being used by some others"

If I remember correctly that was in another thread! Wow, so now you're searching other threads for something to back up your silly "theory"? Lol!

NewbieDave007
01-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Ok, I LIVE in the mountains of WNC. I happen to visit the occasional Wally World and check the ammo selection.

I would like to politely ask the OP to relate which Wally World this ignorant woman worked at.

I doubt it's my regular one as I rarely see a woman in the Sporting goods dept. But, it could easily be one of several others I know of.

Wait a minute! You mean this thread isn't about a pissing match?

Uncle R.
01-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Man oh man, the cabin fever is getting bad today

Wow. I'll say!
<
Here - let me have a try at clarifying things...
<
Nyaa! Nyaa!
I'm rubber and you're glue!
Everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you!
Nyaa Nyaa!
<
Betcha can't answer THAT argument, can you?
<
Trapped by my flawless and inescapable logic, ain't ya?
<
Ha! I win.
<
No - I don't have to listen. NO! I'm gonna close my eyes and plug my ears!
I win!
I win!
I win!
<
Aw darn - it's nap time. Oh well, maybe this afternoon we'll get milk and crackers.
<
Uncle R.

MtGun44
01-08-2014, 01:13 PM
LOL! A loon in a Walmart makes up some stupid story and folks rattle on for 5 pages.

That is FUNNY!

:bigsmyl2:

Bill

PS did you guys know that they are going to make tinfoil in the future that is no good
for stopping the mind control rays. . . . better stock up with the good stuff before they
do!

oldred
01-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Cabin fever confirmed, Lol! It's been 9 deg F for a high here the last couple of days, EXTREMELY unusual for here, plus being on crutches due to (another!) broken knee.

Uncle R.
01-08-2014, 01:25 PM
LOL! A loon in a Walmart makes up some stupid story and folks rattle on for 5 pages.

That is FUNNY!

:bigsmyl2:

Bill

PS did you guys know that they are going to make tinfoil in the future that is no good
for stopping the mind control rays. . . . better stock up with the good stuff before they
do!

Dang it, Bill!
Now you've done it.
I use that tinfoil when I cook venison on the Weber grill - and you just caused a three year shortage.
<
Not to mention endless speculation about what the .gov is doing to our brains that requires we don't have tinfoil hats.
Dang yeh!
<
Uncle R.

dragon813gt
01-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Why is it so hard for people to understand the shortage. The demand is greater than the supply. That's it, end of story. It doesn't matter if there is a national effort that's been organized by the Democrats to send every person on unemployment to buy it all up when Walmart gets a shipment. It doesn't matter if people are buying it up to resell. The demand is greater than the supply. There would be no secondary market if the supply was enough to fulfill everyones wants.

And at least it's available now if you're willing to pay the price. It was nonexistent by me for months no matter the cost. I'm patiently waiting for the supply to catch up. The bubble will break like it always does.

waksupi
01-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Some people give the government too much credit for the efficiency to make anything happen in a short period of time.

jcwit
01-08-2014, 01:53 PM
And at least it's available now if you're willing to pay the price. It was nonexistent by me for months no matter the cost. I'm patiently waiting for the supply to catch up. The bubble will break like it always does.

According to the news today on the business channel the bubble is only in the beginning stages of growing. So look out folks, its only going to get worse!

Charlie Two Tracks
01-08-2014, 01:56 PM
We think this is bad............ Now there is a shortage of Velveeta and just before the Super Bowl! Run out and get it while you can......
I don't know how to put purple in my posts

Hamish
01-08-2014, 01:59 PM
(ahem) Regarding the OP. I was unaware that we had decided upon a "stupidity" font,,,,,,,,,

Beagle333
01-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Let em hoard. Estate sales are only going to get more and more attractive. 8-)

jcwit
01-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Ain't that the truth. Somebody's gonna make a bundle whin I pass or somebody's gonna get some real deals. But by then I won't care!

mold maker
01-08-2014, 02:41 PM
What's been reported about the line at Wally World, waiting for the pallet to be rolled to sporting goods, is a fact here also.
Regardless of why, I can't find 22 ammo at any price except from the scalpers. Most hand gun ammo has been the same until recently. Even now it doesn't last more than a day.
I'll bet that 99% of those reading this thread would buy the limit, if they found it at reasonable prices.
Until the fear of the unknown future supply is corrected, there will be a drastic shortage.
At some point everyone will realize they have enough to avoid paying the scalpers prices and the profit will dwindle and die. Beyond that point retailers will again have shelf stock, and these discussions will be but a sad memory.

Hogtamer
01-08-2014, 02:50 PM
i saw this week that over 21,000,000 guns were sold in the US last year. assuming they (we) all bought a few boxes of ammo to go with them and that's a heap o' bullets! i suspect that surge of buying borrowed from future sales to some degree. at some point, for some reason, ($ run out or demand is satisfied), buying will slow and increased production will overwhelm demand. this market is no different from any other, thinking backwards from 2013: precious metals, real estate and financials, tech stocks.....cliche it may be, the old saw proves itself over and over - buy low, sell high. i'm just as susceptible to group think as anybody else, but when i remember that i can load shotgun shells for .20 cents each.....mmmmmm.....i'll pass for now on the 22s. btw, shelves are sagging everywhere with .17 cal.

762 shooter
01-08-2014, 03:33 PM

Hendersonville, NC

Hamish,

I posted it because it was hilariously funny to me and I thought those here would get a chuckle out of it. Then I was getting schooled about how this couldn't be true. I realized that the sarcasm color was inappropriate, hence the request to pretend that it was written in the non-existent stupidity color/font.

I must admit that this post has surpassed my wildest dreams for entertainment value.

RogerDat
01-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Manufactures of a commodity item such as ammo don't do "just in time" manufacture. E.G all the popular deer hunting ammo or bird loads are not made the month before hunting season. It is created over several months and warehoused by manufacturer, distributors, and on store shelves. Same with reloading equipment and supplies. Projected sales for a year are met by doing 1/12 the production each month required to meet those anticipated sales, with a reserve to provide a moderate cushion and meet ongoing demand.

There were two clearly defined "runs" on shooting supplies, these runs were not part of projected sales used by manufactures to set production schedules. The first run was after the Presidential election, the second after Newton. The reserve was pulled down by the first but there was still enough to provide stock to retail outlets. The second was the one that really created the shortages. I think mostly due to Congress getting involved, laws have long term consequences and Congress has a habit of doing stupid well enough to qualify them to work at the Wal-Mart mentioned in the original post. Only Congress could ban or restrict ammo and they are just stupid enough to do it... so it was logical to stockpile given the situation so people did, absent enough reserve to keep retail outlets supplied in the face of that stockpile purchasing you have a shortage.

Reloading presses and kits were on 6 month backorder toward the end of last year, that clearly reflects an unexpected increase in people deciding to get into reloading, either to deal with ammo shortages in the short term or to insure a long term supply irrespective of what Congress did. Since RF ammo can't really be reloaded and the .22 is probably owned by nearly every gun owner with more than 2 guns of course it incurred a lot of demand.

Scalping is simply good business, buying low and selling into demand that outstrips supply at a profit. It's up to individuals to decide if they want to pay the inflated price or not. Problem is as long as enough people will pay the price the scalpers will continue to try and corner the supply. They have a profit motive that makes standing in line or slipping a little something to an employee for an inside tip or extra allotment worthwhile. Not that different than buying donuts for the tire store crew that saves you wheel weights.

If ammo manufacturer(s) would hold back 10% or so of production to restock own warehouse, then once they had enough to fully stock the heck out of store shelves they ship it out, this would end the perceived shortage and leave an awful lot of scalpers holding stock that won't sell at a profit. However as long as people will buy all the ammo they crank out holding back to build up a reserve does not make much business sense. Even if future sales are impacted there is still a faster return on the investment in materials, and always the possibility that once a user has a stockpile they will continue to purchase replacement ammo at the normal rate to maintain it.

It's up to each individual if they will pay scalper prices, and unfortunately as long as enough are willing all will suffer. What is "smart" for the individual ammo purchaser is not "smart" for ammo purchasers as a group.

flyingrhino
01-08-2014, 04:32 PM

My feelings exactly! If i'm in a store that sells ammo and they have 22 I'll pick some up as long as the price is not inflated. I can cast and load 100 45acp for less than I can buy 100 22's. I save the 22's for the grandkids. If I run out, the .22 and .177 pellet rifles are just as fun and they can shoot those in the yard.

Black Powder Bill
01-08-2014, 04:39 PM
I have access to the most popular cartridges. I should say the shoot em up 9mm,40,45 , 223 &7.63x39. But I refuse to make a purchase even at wholesale prices. WHY? I think they ammo is not worth the price, ESPECIALLY the mil surplus. I can check for people but would require cash up front. I can also ship to you provided it's allowed in your area.

But for me to go running around for a marginal profit isn't worth it as my time and fuel cost eat up any profit.

Scalpers and gougers beware, your day will end.

As for the grandkids I'll say it again, Slingshots, hawks & air guns keeps them plenty happy. If the sun is out show them how to fry ants or bugs with a magnifying glass. [smilie=1:

flyingrhino
01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Supply will catch up, demand will drop off and then the market will saturate. 22 rimfire will be back to full shelves, and good prices. Possibly...REALLY good prices. In May of 2013 Remington announced a $32 million expansion of their Lonoke, Arkansas plant that is expected to be completed in the 2nd quarter of 2014 to handle the "shortage" of supply. Google it, you'll find the press release. I've heard that Winchester has done the same but can't give specifics.

oldred
01-08-2014, 05:26 PM
An up side to this for me has been the fact that Black Powder has remained as easy to get as always, I mean REAL black not that phony junk, and since I was bit low on my favorite smokeless (Varget) and couldn't find any I started feeding more of my guns the BP and discovered I had been missing a heck of a lot of fun! I started shooting it a while back in my 45-90 single shot but then went on to my Marlins, both 45/70, plus most of my pistols with the exception of the autos. I managed to get one of my neighbors hooked on casting and reloading using BP and all it took was one afternoon of shooting the Marlin lever guns! Sometimes the bad things such as this shortage can lead to new discoveries and this has been a fun experience for me!

waynem34
01-08-2014, 06:13 PM
So what!

waynem34
01-08-2014, 06:19 PM
I m gona get a job a walmart meet you people. lol

jcwit
01-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Supply will catch up, demand will drop off and then the market will saturate. 22 rimfire will be back to full shelves, and good prices. Possibly...REALLY good prices. In May of 2013 Remington announced a $32 million expansion of their Lonoke, Arkansas plant that is expected to be completed in the 2nd quarter of 2014 to handle the "shortage" of supply. Google it, you'll find the press release. I've heard that Winchester has done the same but can't give specifics.

Now if they will only upgrade their crappy ammo.

Boyscout
01-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Maybe all the branches of her family tree were grafted back into itself.

contender1
01-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks for posting the city.
Hendersonville is the EXACT wally world I shop at regularly. I got some CCI's there just last week. Of course, the clerk was a gentleman who actually knew some stuff.

Obviously the woman had to be blond and clueless!

destrux
01-09-2014, 12:11 AM

Hahahhaha that is GENIUS.

I guess she's tired of being harassed by hoarders every time she restocks the .22 ammo.

Maybe we should all spread the info that they will be making them with new "short life" gunpowder. Haha. Then the ammo might be there when we go to buy some to actually shoot.

9.3X62AL
01-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Cabin fever confirmed, Lol! It's been 9 deg F for a high here the last couple of days, EXTREMELY unusual for here, plus being on crutches due to (another!) broken knee.

Sorry to read this, Old Red.

I'm not one to immediately default to conspiracy theories, cabin fever notwithstanding. I have no trouble believing that spurred-up demand has stripped the shelves of ammo--firearms--and components. The manufacturers sure as hell didn't predict these occurrences, and I don't think any of us expected the shortages to last as long as they have.

As for the local sitch, the same 5-7 low-lifes show up every stock day and buy out whatever 22 LR arrives at Wal-Mart. A little of this gets re-sold at the plinker canyons on weekends, but some of this activity recently got shut down. A probation search discovered a large lot of 22 LR in the apartment of a doper maggot, and THAT is a felony in CA--felons cannot own or possess arms or ammo. Being a crook is a very tough job at times.

oldred
01-09-2014, 04:57 PM
I bet most of these scalpers don't have a license to re-sell the ammo they have been scarfing up, I don't like the idea of ratting on anyone but I don't like scalpers either!

Russel Nash
01-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I stocked up on .22LR back in 2007 or 2008 . Around me there is one Walmart that puts it out at 7AM. Another Walmart puts it out at like 9PM. Then another Walmart puts it out as soon as they get it, any random time.

I had a doctor's appointment one day about a month ago, so I decided to stop by the 7AM Walmart. I was so expecting a line of 7 to 10 guys (aka "neckbeards" ) waiting for ammo. Nope, just one guy. And they didn't get any .22LR in. He did buy some 7.62X39 and .223 though.

Back in that first panic, there was a woman shooter who competed in IDPA and Steel Challenge type matches locally. She had a blog. She made the mistake of posting on her blog how she and her husband had an in with the ammo counter guy at the local Walmart. I sent Walmart HQ an email with the link to the blog. Within about 2 days, the managers from the two closest stores were calling me. I was a little shocked by the response. They said they had implemented a 3 box per customer per day limit. So weeks after that, I was still getting pestered by the store managers asking me if I was happy with their new policy. I was. :)

I suspect that there are a lot of local gun stores, mom and pop places, buying it all up and then reselling it in their stores. I wish Walmart would take an actual permanent ink stamp, and stamp their boxes of ammo "WALMART!!! $17.95" or whatever the price of the ammo originally was.

starmac
01-09-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't have a problem with small shops buying from wallmart or anywhere else they can to keep some in stock. That is just business. Most wallmarts have a limit anyway, except for the states that limits are against the law.

dragon813gt
01-09-2014, 06:09 PM
I bet most of these scalpers don't have a license to re-sell the ammo they have been scarfing up, I don't like the idea of ratting on anyone but I don't like scalpers either!

And what license would be required for that?

oldred
01-09-2014, 06:22 PM
And what license would be required for that?

I honestly don't know what the requirements are and I was just speculating but doesn't a business have to have any kind of permit to sell ammo? Again that was just speculation and after thinking about it a bit I have to admit the entire post was ill-conceived and ratting on someone, even an ammo scalper, is stooping lower than the scalper. I made a mistake even suggesting that someone should be turned in for re-selling legally acquired ammo and I although I might grumble about them I would not turn them in to the law.

If someone decides to break out the tar and feathers over that post I guess I got it coming.

9.3X62AL
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM

Don't know and not real concerned about licensing of these scalper characters, though in CA everything that isn't prohibited is automatically mandatory anyway. :) Where I draw the line is at serially-convicted felons engaging in activity that is patently illegal, and benefiting from same at deep cost to tax-paying citizens. This is a small town, and word gets around readily if someone is pulling shenanigans. Of course, these sorts of low-grade felonies won't amount to sentencing to significant jail or prison time, but there is intrinsic value in "showing the flag" from time to time to the Regular Customers Of Law Enforcement.

I should emphasize here that I played no part in this course of events. I learned about it well after its occurrence.

AK Caster
01-09-2014, 06:36 PM
I could care less if some enterprising soul wants to buy ammo and resell it. That is basic 101 Economics. Seems the only people who get po'ed about this are people who refused to stock up when prices were cheap and good supplies were everywhere.

Buy low, sell high. Its the American way. Its not like they are buying up all the food that most of us need to live on. Its ammo, something we want but we don't need.

km101
01-09-2014, 06:38 PM
Must have been the same woman that told me that it was illegal to sell me a rifle and ammo at the same time. Man she really gets around!

762 shooter
01-09-2014, 07:04 PM
I honestly don't know what the requirements are and I was just speculating but doesn't a business have to have any kind of permit to sell ammo? Again that was just speculation and after thinking about it a bit I have to admit the entire post was ill-conceived and ratting on someone, even an ammo scalper, is stooping lower than the scalper. I made a mistake even suggesting that someone should be turned in for re-selling legally acquired ammo and I although I might grumble about them I would not turn them in to the law.

If someone decides to break out the tar and feathers over that post I guess I got it coming.

It's OK oldred.

I understand where you are coming from. I would guess that most of us expect to find what we want in the stores when we want it. Usually the limiting factor is whether you want it and can afford it, not that it will be available. I am no man of the world, but I can see that there are usually lines for something in other countries. We have been spoiled by this consumer economy.

My new years resolution in 2008 was that I will never expect a steady supply of anything.

It has done me well so far.

jcwit
01-09-2014, 09:00 PM
If in fact they are operating as a retail business whether out of their house or an actual store front in most states "not al but most" a retail license is required and if it is a state that has sales tax they must collect said tax and report and sent it to the state. Furthermore, profits need to be reported to the feds and its possible FICA taxes need to be paid, plus a federal retail license.

I my state this holds true for those selling at Flea Markets also.

9.3X62AL
01-09-2014, 09:31 PM
I "get" the idea about "Econ 101" and all that jazz--but those Captain Menschevik platitudes blithely ignore the reality that consumers are being ripped off and taken advantage of so that drunks--druggies--and welfare leeches can FURTHER "game" the taxpayers in yet another manner that makes life more expensive. Yes, you can choose to "opt out" and not shoot, or as I do stand pat on my stored ammunition until I am able to replace what I fire. But, I enjoy shooting 22s, and these azzhats and their antics prevent me from shooting in order to facilitate their drinking and drug use. That is effed up.

There would be some back-handed justice in seeing these vermin get fanged for State & Federal income taxes, sales taxes, and other regulatory harassment that REAL vendors must put up with. In the case I cited locally, someone--maybe a Walmart employee, maybe a customer that is sick and tired of seeing these low-lifes "get over" on folks, made a call to We-Tip or reported face-up that Johnny Lowcrotch has for weeks walked out of Walmart with armloads of ammunition. That guy has dealt dope since we were in middle school together, and has jail and prison terms stacked like life imprisonment on the installment plan. What is a mook like that doing with ammunition? Eff him, that's illegal. He's gotta be on parole or probation. Time for pay-back, azzhat.

starmac
01-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Around here everywhere that sells 22 ammo has a one brick limit, you have a good idea of which days during the week that it shows (usually) but it doesn't show every week either. If a person goes to check every day that it might show up and buys his limit when he can, he would loose money, just in gas, not including his time even if he doubled his money. The manager at the firearms counter in our lgs, told me it probably averages 200 people a day asking for 22 ammo.

We all carry on and complain about not having the ability to buy what we want when we want, got me to thinking about what I heard about when my dad was young during WW2. He was given his first 22 rifle by the neighboring sheep rancher, plus his monthly allotment of ammo, and also paid for my grandads allotment too, so that he could shoot wild dogs killing his sheep. Iirc your monthly allotment was one fifty round box a month. many other other things were rationed at the time too. I don't remember what all it was, but I remember sugar and tires were rationed, and again iirc you got sort of like a coupon book every so often with your some sort of stamp or coupon you had to have to purchase the rationed items at all. I wonder how that would go over in this country in this day and time??

jcwit
01-09-2014, 10:54 PM
Around here everywhere that sells 22 ammo has a one brick limit, you have a good idea of which days during the week that it shows (usually) but it doesn't show every week either. If a person goes to check every day that it might show up and buys his limit when he can, he would loose money, just in gas, not including his time even if he doubled his money. The manager at the firearms counter in our lgs, told me it probably averages 200 people a day asking for 22 ammo.

We all carry on and complain about not having the ability to buy what we want when we want, got me to thinking about what I heard about when my dad was young during WW2. He was given his first 22 rifle by the neighboring sheep rancher, plus his monthly allotment of ammo, and also paid for my grandads allotment too, so that he could shoot wild dogs killing his sheep. Iirc your monthly allotment was one fifty round box a month. many other other things were rationed at the time too. I don't remember what all it was, but I remember sugar and tires were rationed, and again iirc you got sort of like a coupon book every so often with your some sort of stamp or coupon you had to have to purchase the rationed items at all. I wonder how that would go over in this country in this day and time??

Wouldn't go over at all in todays U.S. I was a sugar stamp, born in 43 and the family got an extra sugar stamp, older brothers got Christmas cookies that year. Dad tapped and boiled down maple syrup from our trees for sugar. Older Bro's collected tin cans and milk weed pods for the war effort. Mom sewed, what I have no idea, but it was for the war effort. I still have a few of the Red & Blue fiber tokens from WW 2.

Today the Military fights the wars and the American people stick a plastic ribbon on the back of their vehicle claiming to support the troops.

MUSTANG
01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
1. I have quite a few rounds of .22 because I bought them in the times of plenty and stored them for the lean times. Wish that more had done the same in the past, and that even I had bought more when pallets of 550 bricks had to be walked around in the stores.

2. If I see a 550/500/350 block, or packs of 100 at a reasonable price, I buy what I can to keep my stores up as much as possible. I do not apologize for doing so.

3. I do not condemn others for "Profiteering" by selling what they have, or what they can get legally; making a profit on the sweat of their brow or through their wits is how citizens feed themselves and their families, after all there are a lot of people who have lost jobs and no longer qualify for unemployment, no matter what the press & "O" say about how good the economy is.

4. For me, thankfully I do not have to sell off my supply of precious metal (Lead in the form of 22's, or other stores).

5. The only reason I can see that existing manufacturers and importers have not expanded production to meet demand is because of the wide and invasive regulation our government has put into place for those who want to expand a business, or start a new business. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but acknowledge there are many who seek to control our lives as they see fit.

Potential Solution to the shortage?

I tend to be a person that seeks solutions rather than grousing about problems.

1. Does anyone have any knowledge of old/surplus equipment for making 22LR that is not currently in use to make 22LR's?

2. If we must rely upon existing US manufacturers, is their limitation a concern that investing in new plant and equipment will be lost because the shortage will end and their investment sit idle, and represent a loss of investment?

3. If the speculation in #2 above is true, are there alternatives?

a. How many shooters would be willing to buy into a group "Corporate Bond" from one or more of the Ammo Manufacturers, tailored specifically to increasing the production of 22LR's. If 10,000 shooters bought a "Share" at $250.00, that would represent an investment value of $2.5M. If the idea has merit, attempting to get NRA, GAO, etc.. on board to get the word out would be warranted. There would also potentially be quite a few "Non_Shooter" investors who might become interested if the Bond Rate paid say 5% to 7.5% and was attached to a Long Term Company such as Winchester, Remington, CCI/Speer, et.al.. who underwriters would have confidence in.

b. Can we identify any entrepreneurs interested in entering the 22LR manufacturing market? Once again, if the Entrepreneur is legitimate/viable, but the issue is investment capital, a solution similar to (a) above is worth considering.

c. Can we identify any existing Import businesses that can bring in 22LR from Mexico, Canada, Europe, Australia, or even the Godless Commie Chinese? If capital is an issue, consideration of (a) above as a mechanism to finance is a thought.

We can continue to grouse about the lack of 22LR, complain that the vendors/manufacturers are not meeting our needs, or seek to identify and implement solutions.

9.3X62AL
01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
I would submit that the net effect of the ammo hoarders/strippers/flippers differs little from rationing during WWII--only now it isn't for a war effort, but to service the addictions of people that cost our country dearly already.

I'm no fan of the ChiComs, but you can't deny that they got a firm and lasting handle on drug addiction when they took the place over.

jcwit
01-09-2014, 11:11 PM
Aaaaaayup!

dragon813gt
01-10-2014, 07:23 AM
I would submit that the net effect of the ammo hoarders/strippers/flippers differs little from rationing during WWII--only now it isn't for a war effort, but to service the addictions of people that cost our country dearly already.

I'm no fan of the ChiComs, but you can't deny that they got a firm and lasting handle on drug addiction when they took the place over.

Are you saying it's drug addicts that are flipping ammo here. And that there is no drug addiction in China?

Uncle R.
01-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Are you saying it's drug addicts that are flipping ammo here. And that there is no drug addiction in China?

:popcorn:

Uncle R.

9.3X62AL
01-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Yes, to the first question. This is certainly the case at least once locally that I'm aware of, and I feel certain that the trend isn't limited to the High Desert in CA. The manipulating, grasping, thieving nature of drug addiction--especially methamphetamine dependance--lends itself to courses of conduct of this nature. And NO, I'm NOT saying that a majority of the strippers & flippers are drunks & addicts--but I feel certain that some portion of these parasites are engaged in diverting ammo into resale scams. It is a lot less work and a lot more time-profitable than stealing copper wiring, a favorite money source of meth heads nationwide.

As for the PRC currently, I have no idea and even less interest. What I do know is that at the time Mao Zedong and his cadres assumed power in the late 1940s, a point of emphasis by that lot was to liquidate known opium addicts whenever and wherever found. They made no bones about doing so, and believed that they were cleansing society through their actions. NO, I am NOT advocating that American government pursue a similar line in dealing with drug addiction. Hell, just the cash-flow interruption to the criminal defense legal community from such actions would shake the nation to its very foundations. Can't have that, now, can we?

Yeah, Uncle R--I know the post was baiting and antagonistic. That has become part and parcel of Cast Boolits, just the price of expressing an opinion in this way-station of the perpetually indignant and reflexively antagonistic.

oldred
01-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Yes, to the first question. This is certainly the case at least once locally that I'm aware of, and I feel certain that the trend isn't limited to the High Desert in CA. The manipulating, grasping, thieving nature of drug addiction--especially methamphetamine dependance--lends itself to courses of conduct of this nature. And NO, I'm NOT saying that a majority of the strippers & flippers are drunks & addicts--but I feel certain that some portion of these parasites are engaged in diverting ammo into resale scams. It is a lot less work and a lot more time-profitable than stealing copper wiring, a favorite money source of meth heads nationwide.

As for the PRC currently, I have no idea and even less interest. What I do know is that at the time Mao Zedong and his cadres assumed power in the late 1940s, a point of emphasis by that lot was to liquidate known opium addicts whenever and wherever found. They made no bones about doing so, and believed that they were cleansing society through their actions. NO, I am NOT advocating that American government pursue a similar line in dealing with drug addiction. Hell, just the cash-flow interruption to the criminal defense legal community from such actions would shake the nation to its very foundations.

I wish I could argue with the point about druggies and the lengths they will go but unfortunately from what i have seen here you are spot on in your assessment and yes at least one locally is at the flea market every weekend selling RF ammo in plastic sandwich baggies, he's the culprit I had in mind when I posted that license thing. These damned meth heads here will steal anything that's not nailed down and even that's no guarantee, but woe be onto you if you hurt one of the scum if you catch them in the act!

Just a comical side note, a few years ago we still had satellite internet and late one night before bed I thought I heard something outside, we live on a farm way back in the boonies with no close neighbors so there was absolutely no reason for anyone to be within hearing distance. I took my Marlin lever rifle and went out the back door to see one of these scum bags trying to remove the satellite dish from it's post, I sneaked along a row of hedges, all the while trying to decide how to confront him, until I was within 10 ft or less behind him. At that point, with his back toward me and him completely unaware of my presence, I took one more step and quickly fired a heavy load 45/70 round up into air just as he bent over to pick up something from the ground. I don't know if meth gives a person bionic strength but that scum bag came up so fast he finished knocking the dish loose with his head and then hit about 60 MPH running down the hill through a blackberry thicket, I don't think a Jack Rabbit could have gone through those briars as quickly! I still get a laugh at that idiot running through those briars every time I think about it!

Garyshome
01-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Well 1 wal mart gets 3000 22lr x4,170 =1,251,000 rounds per dayx365=4,566,150,000/year that's over 4 billion!

oldred
01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Well 1 wal mart gets 3000 22lr x4,170 =1,251,000 rounds per dayx365=4,566,150,000/year that's over 4 billion!

Not exactly sure what your point is but if you saying it's ridiculous to think that 2 guys at each Wal-Mart is buying up all the 22 Ammo then you're right about that but what's wrong with what you're saying is that it's not just two guys, it's always a long line of people and at the Wal-Mart here locally that's EVERY Saturday morning! The same two guys (or 5 or 6 or however many) may be there every time and usually at the head of the line but there are always a BUNCH more lined up with them! The sporting goods workers simply cut open the containers, scan each box/brick and hand them out while another rings them up until there are usually none left, any that does make it to the shelf disappears quickly! This is not rumor and it's not BS I, and a lot of others here, have both seen it and been in that line!

It's not just two people at each store it's a BUNCH of people and if you haven't seen it for yourself all you have to do is ask the counter person!

jcwit
01-10-2014, 02:42 PM
It's not just two people at each store it's a BUNCH of people and if you haven't seen it for yourself all you have to do is ask the counter person!

And you know this for a fact that your statement is true nation wide at all Wal-Marts and big box stores. Man alive you've been a busy little elf.

oldred
01-10-2014, 02:48 PM
And you know this for a fact that your statement is true nation wide at all Wal-Marts and big box stores. Man alive you've been a busy little elf.

What the dickens is it with you man, you damn right I know it for a fact and so do most other people! Get off your butt and go see for yourself or at least ask the people in the store, IT'S A FACT GET OVER IT!!

jcwit
01-10-2014, 03:01 PM
What the dickens is it with you man, you damn right I know it for a fact and so do most other people! Get off your butt and go see for yourself or at least ask the people in the store, IT'S A FACT GET OVER IT!!

No I do Not know it for a fact, and neither do you, but it is your opinion and nothing more!

Now I see you seem to have the need to revert to slightly vulgar language.

Thanks for telling a Disabled Vet to get off his butt.

ridurall
01-10-2014, 03:16 PM

It just so happened that north of Altus Oklahoma about 3 months ago a coworker of my wife died from cancer. His wife thought he only had about 4 guns but they had several tables of guns and ammo set out for the estate auction. He had 30 or 40 bricks of .22 LR and one guy got the bid for $87 and his choice on what boxes he wanted. He said he would take them all so he purchased 30 to 40 bricks of .22 LR for $87 each. He couldn't be a reseller because there would not be enough profit in it.

Now for the big BUT, about 3 days later I stopped in at Walmart and they had the Winchester 525 round bricks available for $22 a brick. Limit of 3. So I purchased 3, 525 round bricks for $66. It is still hard to find .22 LR on the shelf at our Altus Walmart but every so often I see a few 50 round boxes for $3.27 and I purchase my limit of 3. My best friend is in the process of making a trade of a S&W Model 76 9mm machine gun for an American 180 .22 LR Machine gun. I used to think that it was a great idea because I found it hard to reload for machine guns but at 1900 rounds per minute that American 180 sure eats up the .22 LR.

NewbieDave007
01-10-2014, 03:22 PM

No I do Not know it for a fact, and neither do you, but it is your opinion and nothing more!

Now I see you seem to have the need to revert to slightly vulgar language.

Thanks for telling a Disabled Vet to get off his butt.

Group hug? No? How about we all grow up, respect each other's personal opinion, and move on?

Alvarez Kelly
01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Or just ignore jcwit. That's what I did months ago. I see by the quotes in reply threads he's up to his old tricks. Every dog has a bone to chew I guess.

jcwit
01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Here's what I replied to oldred about E-Bay in the thread titled "Oh for crying out loud!!!"

Right you are oldred, I have had the same experience with E-Bay, As you say I also don't win many, but then I do win a few and it definitely makes watching worth while.

One case in point, I happen to like priming with the od style Lee hand primers with the screw in shell holders, I watched E-Bay and now have a dedicated Lee Primer for each cartridge size group I reload for. Saves screwing the shell holders in & out of the pot metal hand piece.

At times I also just use the "Buy It Now".

That sound like I have an axe to grind with him? I happen to disagree with him regarding the availability of .22 rimfire ammo. Nothing more.

I'm entitled to my opinion as is he.

Plus oldred can't be all bad, far from it IMO, after all he obviously likes cats and that is a plus.

9.3X62AL
01-10-2014, 04:46 PM
Liking cats IS a good thing.

MUSTANG
01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
I like cats too. We get 2 to 5 every year from those citified folk who want to dump them in the country. We like them around to keep the mice down around the houses/barns (Moapa NV and Kalispell MT); but.. these are not house kitties as they fend for themselves, except for a bowl of milk on occasion. They add to the cycle of life in Moapa because the Coyotes have to eat too. Something (unknown species) is dining on kitties here in Kalispell also, but they seem to be faring better here in Montana despite the winter than in Moapa (tougher Kitty Species?).

9.3X62AL
01-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Bah--coyotes got nothin' comin'. Light 'em up, on sight. Best idea Our Maker ever had, in terms of an arms target.

9.3X62AL
01-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Group hug? No? How about we all grow up, respect each other's personal opinion, and move on?

At Cast Boolits?? Verily, thou jests. The only exercise some posters ever get here is from jumping to conclusions.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-10-2014, 07:33 PM
That's good 9.3X62AL. I hadn't heard that one before.

waynem34
01-10-2014, 08:06 PM
happy new year.

waynem34
01-11-2014, 03:58 PM
I only buy what i can use.I use some and hoard some.I keep it dry and value it.I do not sell it.My wal has 3 box limit and never see people standing in line.I pick moms scrips up there so I always hit sportinggoods dept.Unemployed bum.

9.3X62AL
01-11-2014, 09:05 PM
"Unemployed" does NOT equal "bum". At all.

I'm curious, for those that actually ARE able to find and buy 22 LR ammo at ChinaMart--does "3 box limit" mean 3 50-round boxes--or 3 500-round bricks?

NewbieDave007
01-11-2014, 09:25 PM
"Unemployed" does NOT equal "bum". At all.

I'm curious, for those that actually ARE able to find and buy 22 LR ammo at ChinaMart--does "3 box limit" mean 3 50-round boxes--or 3 500-round bricks?

The answer is generally yes, but some seem to like to change rules to suit themselves at times. One tried to make a rule about anything 225 count or more being a limit of one. I've also seen 3 - 50 count being bought as that was the limit.

starmac
01-11-2014, 10:08 PM
The wallmart here is one brick limit. It doesn't matter if it is 333 round or 525 round. Sportsmans has the same limit. I never look at 50 round boxes, so don't have a clue what the limit is on those.

Recluse
01-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Or just ignore jcwit. That's what I did months ago. I see by the quotes in reply threads he's up to his old tricks. Every dog has a bone to chew I guess.

Yep, that's the only way I can see his stuff is when someone else quotes him.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how someone whose military hitch was spent in the Pentagon became a disabled vet. . .

:coffee:

jcwit
01-12-2014, 12:39 AM
One doesn't go from the induction center to their duty station do they?

Hit by a duce & a half during AIT. Fort Dix, New Jersey, summer 1965.

I suppose its possible because of my medical profile was why I was stationed at The Pentagon. Who knows, I sure don't. Do you think less of me because of where they put me?

Obviously you do because of my opinion if the shortage.

A little info about who I answered to. http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/Biographies/Display/tabid/225/Article/107221/lieutenant-general-harold-cooper-donnelly.aspx

Now if someone will paste and copy so Recluse, who I highly respect, can read my reply.

merlin101
01-12-2014, 12:50 AM
I stopped in at my local wally world and asked (again) for .22s and was surprised to hear a YES! They had 3 (50rnd) boxes left, I took one and the guy behind me with his son took the last two. Who ever said I was heartless? :)

9.3X62AL
01-12-2014, 07:27 PM
I won't go into WalMart unless absolutely necessary. Thanks for the insights into the 22 LR sitch therein.

In speaking with the folks at the LGS, most of what they are getting in 22 LR is the Rem Thunderbolt stuff. That ammo isn't worth getting excited about, and sure as hell ain't worth standing in line for. I have no idea where the CCI products have all disappeared to, it has been ~16 months since I've seen any locally. One exception--a brick of CCI Standard Velocity was on hand at a Palmdale pawn shop--for $100, in November. Get stretched, cabron.

jonp
01-13-2014, 09:46 AM

No dog in what seems to be a long standing feud but I know that I have been in several different WalMarts in NC and have seen several people waiting in line for ammo. The stores here also have a 3 box limit but don't specify what size box.
Of course the possibility remains that someone is paying all of those people to buy ammo for them to flip but the guys I talk to in line are just guys wanting some 22lr.

jonp
01-13-2014, 09:50 AM
Yep, that's the only way I can see his stuff is when someone else quotes him.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how someone whose military hitch was spent in the Pentagon became a disabled vet. . .

:coffee:
Someone could be on active jump status while stationed there and get injured in a jump. Thats one way that immediately comes to mind. I can think of several others right off hand. You don't need to be in a war zone to become disabled.

dragon813gt
01-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Couldn't you be hit by a car in the parking lot? Lots of non military become disabled this way.

AK Caster
01-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Pretty easy actually. Military disability is based on what is wrong with you when you depart military service. It does not have to be combat related nor related to something that happened while you were working.
If you fall off a ladder at home changing a light bulb while on active duty you could end up with disability if the injury affects you for the rest of your life. You could shoot yourself in the leg while hunting, be injured in a car wreck, etc. The only thing that matters is that you are on active duty when the injury occurs and that the VA considers it a disability.
And yes, you could be hit by a car, or even a shopping cart, in a Wal Mart parking lot while on active duty and end up with disability if the VA says so.

Ickisrulz
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Pretty easy actually. Military disability is based on what is wrong with you when you depart military service. It does not have to be combat related nor related to something that happened while you were working.
If you fall off a ladder at home changing a light bulb while on active duty you could end up with disability if the injury affects you for the rest of your life. You could shoot yourself in the leg while hunting, be injured in a car wreck, etc. The only thing that matters is that you are on active duty when the injury occurs and that the VA considers it a disability.
And yes, you could be hit by a car, or even a shopping cart, in a Wal Mart parking lot while on active duty and end up with disability if the VA says so.

And this is a serious problem with the system. I have seen people with high blood pressure and sleep apnea because they are obese get disability. In fact 75% of the TAP briefing I attended was about how to get disability at the highest percentage possible.

jcwit
01-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Mine happened while on active duty training, AKA as AIT--

Advanced Individual Training | goarmy.com
www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/...a.../advanced-individual-training.html‎
ADVANCED INDIVIDUAL TRAINING. Preparing You For Your Army Job. After you complete Basic Combat Training, you're ready for the next step. Advanced Individual Training (AIT) is where you will learn the skills to perform your Army job.

Recruit hit me with a duce and half and drug me over a 100 feet before he got it stopped. I still carry the scars and problems with joints. Didn't try to get released and served my country for another 8 years.

Didn't run to Canada either.

Tap briefing? Been so many years ago I'm not sure they even did that back then.

Hope Recluse reads this so he can stop scratching his head. Always thought highly of his posts even tho it does not seem to go both ways.

9.3X62AL
01-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Mine happened while on active duty training, AKA as AIT--

Advanced Individual Training | goarmy.com
www.goarmy.com/soldier-life/...a.../advanced-individual-training.html‎
ADVANCED INDIVIDUAL TRAINING. Preparing You For Your Army Job. After you complete Basic Combat Training, you're ready for the next step. Advanced Individual Training (AIT) is where you will learn the skills to perform your Army job.

Recruit hit me with a duce and half and drug me over a 100 feet before he got it stopped. I still carry the scars and problems with joints. Didn't try to get released and served my country for another 8 years.

Didn't run to Canada either.

Tap briefing? Been so many years ago I'm not sure they even did that back then.

Hope Recluse reads this so he can stop scratching his head. Always thought highly of his posts even tho it does not seem to go both ways.

Seems pretty justified to me. None of my business, though.

Old Dawg
01-13-2014, 04:26 PM
What is even more frightening is that they are probably all High School graduates.

KCSO
01-13-2014, 05:38 PM
A dealer??? at the local gun show who was selling 22's at 85 a brick was telling me about the 5 guys he has running the wal marts for him buying bricks at 25-27 dollars and about the 11,000 rounds he has horded away. There is no shorage only greedy people.

9.3X62AL
01-13-2014, 05:52 PM
There is no shorage only greedy people.

This may ultimately be the case. If $85/brick isn't greed, then I don't know its definition.

AK Caster
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Its not greed. NO ONE HAS TO BUY IT.

9.3X62AL
01-13-2014, 08:02 PM

Disagree. I don't and won't buy at that price. But it remains filthy, slimy, disgusting, and rapacious GREED to even attempt such rip-offs.

jcwit
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Greed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed

dragon813gt
01-13-2014, 09:19 PM

Just because no one has to buy it doesn't mean the seller isn't greedy. I won't call them gougers because they aren't selling a necessity

jcwit
01-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Just because no one has to buy it doesn't mean the seller isn't greedy. I won't call them gougers because they aren't selling a necessity

Doesn't look as if "being a necessity" is really a factor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_gouging

RogerDat
01-13-2014, 10:16 PM

Sure it's greed, even if I won't buy from them they are still being greedy. I'm just not into enabling bad behavior when I can avoid doing so. I'm not buying. Matter of fact when a person who's wife does dog training in the same class as I do said her husband had decided to finally splurge and buy the AR he had his eye on but couldn't get any ammo so was going to try a gun show, I offered to sell him some of mine at what I paid back before the shortage. I don't have some huge supply but could spare him 150 rounds so he could at least try out his new toy without paying scalper prices.

I have no problem with folks picking up a "little extra" just in case they need it but my personal hope is as many of these scalpers as possible get caught with as large of supply as possible once supply catches up with demand in the stores. It's not hate it's righteous anger and poetic justice.

NewbieDave007
01-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Sure it's greed, even if I won't buy from them they are still being greedy. I'm just not into enabling bad behavior when I can avoid doing so. I'm not buying. Matter of fact when a person who's wife does dog training in the same class as I do said her husband had decided to finally splurge and buy the AR he had his eye on but couldn't get any ammo so was going to try a gun show, I offered to sell him some of mine at what I paid back before the shortage. I don't have some huge supply but could spare him 150 rounds so he could at least try out his new toy without paying scalper prices.

I have no problem with folks picking up a "little extra" just in case they need it but my personal hope is as many of these scalpers as possible get caught with as large of supply as possible once supply catches up with demand in the stores. It's not hate it's righteous anger and poetic justice.

I understand your desire but I don't understand how getting "stuck" or "caught" is going to happen. Assuming that the person is buying it at fair market (I.e.: Wal-Mart prices). Sure if they are flipping something that has already been flipped to them.

starmac
01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Them 30 dollar bricks at wallmart, might just be 20 dollar or less a year or two from now. If anybody is buying tons of it (don't see how that is real possible) it is possible they wil lose money eventually.

NewbieDave007
01-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Them 30 dollar bricks at wallmart, might just be 20 dollar or less a year or two from now. If anybody is buying tons of it (don't see how that is real possible) it is possible they wil lose money eventually.

I hear what you are saying, but since they are flying out the door for more than double right now they would have to be complete moron to keep buying at $30 if they start selling for minimal increase. Plus, I personally doubt that Wal-Mart 22lr are going to ever go down. Locally, bricks are going for around $25 at Wal-Mart so with people still buying at $60-100/brick (or more) they have plenty of time to sell.

starmac
01-13-2014, 11:21 PM
I see people advertising ammo for 60 pretty regular, but actually know no one that has paid even close to that, so I really don't know how much they are selling.
At the last two gun shows we had there were two vendors asking 50 a brick, but they didn't have a lot when the show started, and had the same amount it looked like late the second day. our wallmart is getting a little over 30, but I think once it gets back on the shelves to stay, that will drop to 20 or even less.

Slow Elk 45/70
01-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Good one Hard Cast ! That explains a lot of problems.....

9.3X62AL
01-14-2014, 09:26 AM
The persistence of these shortages is an annoyance to most shooters, but we MUST NOT EVER deal with these vermin doing the ammo flipping on Facebook or Craigslist, or at gun shows, or at range/shooting sites. RogerDat did a good and decent thing; I hope the guy with the new AR-15 returned the brass for ya.

Boolit casters are uniquely situated to ride this storm out. I am able to load centerfire handgun ammo for less than the cost of scalped 22 LR, and same story with a lot of my rifle calibers. Kids and grandkids can comfortably shoot the 25-20 and 32-20 rifles, and 32 ACP or 32 S&W Longs are docile and friendly for these same folks.

I think the flippers have figured out that ammo supplies never were deeply inventoried, and that the whole distribution system is built around "normal" usage and consumption levels. There seems to be a "new normal" in place these days--unfortunately, the ammo makers either haven't grasped that or refuse to do so. I no longer expect any assistance from that quarter. If we wish to keep shooting, we will need to supply our own ammunition in the ways we always have, and if we ever expect to see normalization of ammo supplies we will need to provide any and all disincentives possible to the piracies now being perpetrated. Let loose your imaginations and creative energies. STARVE 'EM OUT. Install some risk into their low-life business model--maybe some unforeseen costs, as well.