PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Moly spray... any good?

medicstimpy
12-02-2007, 01:42 AM
I picked up a can to try on those little 105gr LSWC's from Lee that we are having major leading problems with. Just wondering if anyone else uses it and if it's any good to use on all lead booliits?

I switched powders to Titegroup and sprayed some boolits to try that were already band lubed with Lee NRA stick lube. They still left a little bit of fouling but no where near to what we had before. Now I have to try it the proper way... spray and then resize/lube.

Is it worth trying the Lyman tumble lube Moly stuff instead of or along with the spray?

Thanks...

leftiye
12-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I used to use it. I think it helped, can't be sure. Cost too much to continue to use at almost $20 a can. You could buy a lee mold for the cost of a can. I went to a lyman mold with sufficient lube grooves. You could also dip your boolits in Castor wax, or LLA.

mastercast.com
12-03-2007, 03:07 AM
Moly coating is falling out of favor. Reason? Moly under magnification, looks like a bunch of little plates stacked on top of one another. If the moly is not totally cleaned out of a gun, moisture collects under those little "plates" and creates RUST/CORROSION.

I can have at least 12 LEO snipers tell you about the effects of moly that ruined some VERY EXPENSIVE barrels in the past few years due to the above. Have you noticed that there are several cleaners available now guaranteed to remove moly?