PDA

View Full Version : Passing of the Greatest Man I Know

NVcurmudgeon
12-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Yesterday my best friend, mentor, and example I occasionally lived up to passed away. He was 95 years old and his passing was gentle. Bill, ever humble, would have been the first to say that he wasn't anybody special. I beg to differ. Bill grew up on a sheep ranch near a very small Nevada town. his first real job was traveling all over the eastern Sierra with his pack mule, Pete, supplying his uncle's sheepherders. He got in a lot of fishing and hunting and saw unspoiled country before it was heavily occupied. Later on he worked in the banking business. Bill's banking career was interrupted by "air and naval forces of the Empire of Japan." Before Christmas of 1941, at age 29, he was on a train headed for San Diego. He never said he volunteered, but the time window implies that he couldn't have been drafted. Bill was fortunate to be stationed at the torpedo shop at Pearl Harbor, and he must have done a good job because he eventually became a Chief Torpedoman. After the war, he went into the boot and shoe and sporting goods business, and was also the local Western Union operator. (It was a very small town and one had to diversify to stay in business.) Bill married and raised three children. I met him when he was 51 and I was a wet behind the ears 27. We hit it off pretty good and I was highly honored, for a lowly prunepicker, to be invited on hunting trips all over northern Nevada with Bill and several other friends I met through him. Sure, Bill taught me how to hunt deer, and showed me a lot of good fishing spots, but mostly he taught me, by his example, how to be a better man. I remember the quiet times grilling steaks in the pasture, or just hanging around his store, and the big times when we laughed our way from one side of Nevada to the other. I will always be indebted to Bill for giving me the state of Nevada and for improving my character. I will miss him, but not mourn him. Remember Bill, his kind is getting rarer all the time.

rugerman1
12-02-2007, 01:23 AM
My deepest condolences to you and Bill's family sir.The relationship you two shared is one that many only dream of. 2 people sharing their passion for shooting and hunting over the course of decades of fellowship is priceless.I would imagine he thought the very same level of friendship with you as you felt with him.

Bigscot
12-02-2007, 01:40 AM
I offer my heart felt sympathies to you in your loss of a dear friend and mentor. I logged on tonight to (hopefully) post a pic of my son and a kill from today. I hope my son will look back on our times in times in woods, fields, lakes and streams together with such fond memories.

Bigscot

mstarling
12-02-2007, 01:52 AM
My heart goes out to you and Bill's family ... feeling the joy of having been blessed with such a fella in your life and remembering the sadness of losing such a one. Is one of life's most challenging events for such folks are deeply missed.

S.R.Custom
12-02-2007, 01:58 AM
I am blessed with friends like that... and you're right, there is no point in mourning. The world is much better for the presence of men like that, and we should be thankful to know them at all.

Char-Gar
12-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Thank you for that story. It is good to hear of a life lived fully and with meaning.

When all of us have finished our run here on earth, the only thing we will leave behind is our influence on other people. For some of us that is a postive influence, for others a negative influence.

Your friend, left you and others behind to carry on the tradition of being a good man. May his tribe increase!

Bret4207
12-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Count yourself lucky to have known someone like that. Too many us never seem to connect to a mentor. I've had a few and have lost them all. Treasure the memories.

felix
12-02-2007, 08:54 AM
We should all strive to be such a mentor as Bill was by using that unique ability the good Lord has instinctly provided each and everyone of us. Hopefully, we can recognize that ability within ourselves in our time alloted and use it strictly for His glory. ... felix

HollandNut
12-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Try to fill his shoes for someone else , is what he would want I am sure ...

That generation spawned a bunch of "regular guys" with high values ..

Dad wudda been 98 this year , and he was one of 'em too ..

Phil
12-02-2007, 10:37 AM
My most sincere condolences to you on this sad occasion. We are all lucky to have had someone in our lives to guide us the way Bill did you. May you meet again at heavens gate.

Phil

Lucky Joe
12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I have been fortunate to have had several mentors, much like Bill. Me being on this forum is the direct result of one of them. Now I find my self in contact from time to time with a younger people who need guidance. I did not know your Bill, but have met people like him and I appreciate the way you remember him. At my age I don't feel old or young and I don't believe mentoring has an age limit. Many of you here are wheather you know it or not are my mentors. And I thank you all.

beemer
12-02-2007, 10:58 AM
A friend like that is a gift from God. I consider myself fortunate to have one. My thoughts and prayers will be with both families.

beemer

Bass Ackward
12-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Nice tribute Bill.

sundog
12-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Words lack meaning sometimes, mine not yours, Curmudg. So, from me, a simple 'Hooah' is in order...

Dale53
12-02-2007, 11:28 AM
NVCurmudgeon;
My condolences. Thank you for the very moving story. Bill was part of the "Great Generation" and I doubt that we will see their like again for a long time.

Dale53

blackthorn
12-02-2007, 11:28 AM
My wife and I extend our heartfelt sympathy for your loss. Friends such as yours are sorely missed, but although gone, they remain very close in our memory.

45nut
12-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I have been fortunate to have had several mentors, much like Bill. Me being on this forum is the direct result of one of them. Now I find my self in contact from time to time with a younger people who need guidance. I did not know your Bill, but have met people like him and I appreciate the way you remember him. At my age I don't feel old or young and I don't believe mentoring has an age limit. Many of you here are wheather you know it or not are my mentors. And I thank you all.

Lucky Joe, that "mentoring spirit" was the why this forum exists, I know I may never meet up with some of the finest here so sharing the pixels here will have to suffice.

Bill , I echo the sentiments above. Your friend may be gone and will be missed but his spirit will live on.

cobbmtmac
12-02-2007, 03:29 PM
It is wonderful that you have shared your relationship with your friend Bill! I like many have a hard time finding comforting words for your great lose. I feel privileged to know you personally, because, you my friend are a reflection of your friend Bill. Condolences to his familey and to yours.

Bill, I will call you in the next day or two.

9.3X62AL
12-02-2007, 04:08 PM
A moving tribute to a life well-lived, Bill. Thank you for sharing it here.

Many of us have looked on or remarked about our Greatest Generation, and there is zero doubt that the people of the Depression/WWII era are a cut above. I am bound to say, though--after a considerable time spent in the company of young men and women with whom my daughters, my nephews, and their friends associate--that we may well be in the midst of yet another such generation of Americans. As time goes on, the great disconnect between what the mainstream media reports and how the world really is becomes more sharply focused and obvious. The New York Times whines about the Iraq situation, while young relatives and their friends volunteer for service in large numbers, and often do a second or third tour in these danger zones. Slackers? Not hardly.

willy
12-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I would tell you that I was sorry to hear about your loss
BUT -It seems that the ones that lost the most from your friends passing is those of us that never got the chance to meet him.
Seem as though you met one of the few of his kind.
Count yourself lucky.

Willy

The Double D
12-03-2007, 09:24 AM
I think Bill might have set a standard that all us should follow...that when we pass someone thinks of us in the same way.

PatMarlin
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't think we will ever get to see guys like that again Bill. Like my grandparents- those from the greatest generation are now all gone. Will we ever be like that again?

Kind, couragous, and tough... they took care of us and America. :drinks:

1Shirt
12-03-2007, 09:35 AM
They say you are very lucky to have one or two friends, real friends in life. You it appears have been one of the lucky ones to have known such a man that called you a friend.!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Topper
12-04-2007, 08:59 PM
That generation spawned a bunch of "regular guys" with high values ..
It will be up to us to pass on what we learned from the generation Bill belonged to.

Newtire
04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
NV,

Great story.

I think you hit it on the head with the idea that these kinds of folks teach us to be better people.

I had a feeling about that when my Mom passed on. I know now that if it weren't for her, my own kids wouldn't be the people they are today.

So, I don't have to tell you that what we do does make a big difference. Nice that you got to share that and thanks for sharing with us.