PDA

View Full Version : What die for my 308 cast boolits

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-06-2014, 02:14 AM
I recently got a Tikka T3 hunter with a 1 in 11 twist and am ready to start loading my cast boolit from a NOE RD 311165 RFPB siezed to 309.
The Lee sizeing die is too small and it shaves a sliver of lead off the cast boolits.

Looking at the Lyman site i see a M die that will flair the mouth but im not sure it will size the throat enough to not swag the boolits down.

RCBS makes a 309 die that would not swag the boolits but dosen't flair the case mouth as far as i can tell.

So what one should i order for my boolits ?

For load work ups i'd like to get around 1600-1800 FPS and have a crony to check with but dont have a feel of how much powder to start with.
My alloy is preety hard for target shooting [18-21 bhn] and can add pure lead for the hunting loads to soften it up.

I have Varget, IMR4064, IMR8208XBR, Ramshot Enforcer,and Unique.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Steve

What would your recomendations be for starting loads for both applications.

Mostly looking for target loads at 100 yds but would like to also develop a load for deer hunting in Oregon

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-06-2014, 09:46 AM
A Lyman rifle M-die in the caliber you are using would probably do the job you're looking to do. You may also want to look at Redding's bushing die sets.

Wayne Smith
01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Lyman makes M die inserts for both condom and cast boolits. When you call Lyman be sure to specify cast bullet insert.