PDA

View Full Version : primer size for .44 magnum

NavyRedneck
12-01-2007, 09:24 PM
My Lyman's reloading book tells me large pistol but I have a friend who has used large pistol magnum for all of his .45 acp and .44 magnum loads.

Other than being more expensive, is there any other reason to use magnum primers when the manual says regular primers?

My total reloading experience to date is 75 rounds of .44 magnum so any help is appreciated.

iron mule
12-01-2007, 10:13 PM
howdy redneck no need to use the mag primers standard primers will work just fine save the money after you have loaded for a while got all the kinks out and start to work on some pet loads you may want to try a few rounds using them see if they will give you a better load to play with //// for now till you get some experience under your belt i strongly suggest that you get you a couple of reloading manuals and follow thier instructions on what to use/////mule

44man
12-01-2007, 11:36 PM
I get 3X better accuracy by using standard primers even with 296 or H110. You have to test for yourself.

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2007, 07:29 AM
like iron mule said get a manual it will give you primer recomendations for every powder and bullet combo.

35remington
12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
It's been widely cautioned to use standard pistol primers with 2400. Works for me so far, but I confess to using magnums w/296 because I do some cold weather shooting. I haven't found much accuracy difference between the two but others may have more accurate loads or revolvers than I do. Or maybe they just shoot better.

MtGun44
12-03-2007, 02:51 AM
I get fliers with mag primers with Unique or 2400. I normally use mags for
H110/W296, but have had good luck with std primers used a few times with
the latter powders, by accident -sort of, had already primed cases and changed
my mind on the powder to test with.

Bill

oldfart
12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
cci 350

Jon K
12-05-2007, 12:01 AM
WLP primers..................

Jon

9.3X62AL
12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I use very few Magnum primers--pistol magnums are used with WW-296 and H-110 in magnum revolver rounds, and Federal 215 rifle magnum primers are used with the 45-70 and that "Filler With Attitude" WC-860 that I duplex with IMR-4198. That's it.

One experiment I tried involved WC-820, a ball powder with very small kernels that I thought might benefit from a magnum primer's increased heat and brisance. Jacketed and cast, in 357 and 44 Magnum--I couldn't see a bit of difference between the CCI 550 and the WSP, or between the CCI 350 and CCI 300.

lovedogs
12-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Another big controversial subject! Most manuals suggest mag primers with slow powders and hard to light numbers, such as 296 and H110. Those who are experiencing poor results using mag primers with 296 and H110 are an exception rather than the rule. In fact, I'd suspect just the opposite in most cases. Where I live you will experience problems if you don't use a mag primer in the winter with the slow and ball powders. I don't like having different loads for summer and winter so I work up a good load with the mags and these powders. It has always worked for me. I don't think I could expect more accuracy than what I get with mag primers and H110 since I can shoot groups just over an inch in my Contender .44 mag and just under an inch in my Marlin .44 at 100 yds., so I have trouble understanding the claims of inaccuracy. If you think regular primers will work with the slow powders in cold weather all you have to do is shoot some over a white sheet or over snow at zero degrees and you'll get the point.

Three44s
12-14-2007, 02:31 AM
Lovedog,

That's a good tip about shooting over a white sheet or snow.

I find many manuals wanting for good advice on which primer ...... standard vs. magnum to use.

Speer with number 13 seems to have finnaly gotten "fully cooked" on their recommendations.

They show H110 and WW296 suggested to be lit by magies.

And "land sakes" they have finnaly realized what Elmer and many others have been saying for decades ......... "Use Standard" primers with 2400!!!!

I see that with AA#9 Speer 13 suggests standards.

I don't know about spreads with Unique and magies but it sure cleans things up to use magnum primers with Unique!!!

Sure hard to have your "cake" and "eat it too!!!"

Three 44s