PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Thread, dont you just love it. He he

AlaskanGuy
01-05-2014, 10:49 PM
To all my fellow alaskans.....

Dont you just love it when most of the state is warmer then most of the lower 48 states???? Temps here have been around +40 while most of the lower 48 is where we should be, near 0... Yeee haw.... Serves them lower 48'ers right... :) Even starmac in the freezer section of the state is hovering around 24 above....lol

We have had temps above freezing for several days here in my part of the state.... A great deal of he snow has melted off after days of rain and warm wind.. Heck, at church the parking lot was down to bare gravel and starting to feel down right mushy... A mini breakup...

Perfect weather for heading to the range tomorow... The range will be over ripe for picking up purty, once fired clean jacketed bullets... They get shot into the snow and ice and are largely undamaged... I will keep the ones that are in good shape and the right size for the cal's that I shoot, and the rest will be remelted.... I will post with pics my haul tomorow..... Snow will probably be down to just a couple of inches, and a lot of water... So i will done the rubber boots, ice cleats, rubber gloves, and raingear.... Needle noose pliers work best for picking them up, and your fingers dont get cold that way...

Blessing to all from the banana belt state of Alaska... He he... We try to send some of this alaskan weather to the lower 48 every year... We call it a Chinook Wind...

AlaskanGuy

btroj
01-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks buddy

AlaskanGuy
01-05-2014, 10:52 PM
He he... Your welcome btroj

nhrifle
01-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Let us know how the mosquitoes are after they hatch up there!!! :mrgreen:

Beagle333
01-05-2014, 11:19 PM
It's pretty far reaching. We are going to hit 9 degrees here in really far South Alabama tomorrow night. 8-)

olereb
01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
82 and sunny here today,it was only 65 yesterday and I personally loved it.

trochilids
01-05-2014, 11:21 PM
LOL. I was thinking the same thing at 39 degrees this afternoon, but didn't want to rub it in. But since you opened the door, I'll pile on!

Cheers!

btroj
01-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Let us know how the mosquitoes are after they hatch up there!!! :mrgreen:

I was going to say something similar.

Alaska Guy doesn't post much in the summer, he is to weak from blood loss.

starmac
01-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Hey our 24 is warmer than your 40, and we ain't wearing any raingear. lol It looks like a mess across a lot of the lower 48, but the last few days have been downright beautiful here.

bhn22
01-05-2014, 11:41 PM
It'll straighten back out pretty quickly, then you Northwest guys can chill out like the rest of us.

AlaskanGuy
01-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Yea, well.. I welcome the break.. and the chance to pick bullets.. :D It is a very nice break.... tomorow will be flannel shirt day in alaska.... lol

Reg
01-06-2014, 12:04 AM
At 8.55 it's one below ( 14 below with wind chill ) and dropping like a rock. At 10 we will be serving margaritas on the lanai.
Actually rather typical for us.

mnkyracer
01-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Personally I'd rather have Alaska type weather than the up and down that we are getting now. Teens and snow to mid 30's and rain/drizzle, and back to single digits tomorrow.

Keep me at 25 and I'd be happy. Snow is easier to throw when it stays powder!

MaryB
01-06-2014, 12:36 AM
-20 in MN in Jan is not unusual... and when it happens AK is usually warm

Teddy (punchie)
01-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Yes up and down and all around. Close 43 today, by tomorrow evening calling for -10 that's 53 deg drop. Making my bones hurt and cold feeling thinking about it.

I was just getting ready to post it is going to be colder in the lower 48then in AK .

randyrat
01-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Deep freeze here.-31 tonight with possibly-60 windchill factors and high of -16 tomorrow... Only inside work tomorrow.

Back in the 80s we had Airborn Rangers drop in on us in Northern MN for training they were from AK....It hit -40 in MN and never got above-10 for 2 weeks..they said it was 30 or so in AK and real pleasant. I specialized in winter training, we suffered that year. The toughest thing to do is keep enough water in you and going to the bathroom the first time when your in that kind of weather. Dehydration is common in extreme cold.
Still I had it made, I never was expected to fight in the jungle or desert, that would kill me.

AkMike
01-06-2014, 04:24 AM
I talked to a "Homeroid" buddy today and he said it was +46 out East End Road. Kind'a weird weather.

jonp
01-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Supposed to be below 0 windchill tonight here in NC. I can't wait to pull my 8hr outside shift. Yippee!!!!

AlaskanGuy
01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
If you think back AK Mike, you will remember that we always get a chinook wind sometime end of dec or first part of jan..... Happens every year long as i been in alaska....... And damm glad to get the chinook.... Let them poor folks in the lower 48 have a taste.... Its nice to share...lol

You guys in the lower48 can always blame Bullshop Jr...lol fairbanks weather followed him right down into the dakotas and such... He must have been going purty fast to drag all that cold with him.... I for one, appreciate his fast driving.... :kidding:

Thanks BS Jr......

AlaskanGuy
01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh, and to all of those mosquito posts, i have actually seen that happen... When we get a chinook that lasts more then a couple weeks, i have seen mosquitos hatch out... I love it when that happens... Kill them suckers off.... Makes for a longer bug free spring...lol... But I do not suffer from blood loss in the summer.... I am too busy fishing and building nets to mess around here with a buncha old farts... :happy dance:

myg30
01-06-2014, 02:08 PM
This morning had to thaw out the water pipes here. Temps dropped over night and tonight even colder. Leaving the water dripping this time. 9' now at noon. -10 wind chills and tonight -15 or so. I guess the northern temps found their way to Tenn and Ala. This weekend when the temps get into the high 50's, I'll check the temps up north and remind y'all bout this !!

Keep yer powder dry, stay warm n safe

Mike

MtGun44
01-06-2014, 05:31 PM
-9 in KC this AM, warmed up to a balmy 3F so far.

Bill

Pb2au
01-06-2014, 05:34 PM
I think we hit a whopping 6 here!

AkMike
01-06-2014, 05:46 PM
AknGuy,
Back in the early 70's a remember finding tiny purple and yellow flowers blooming next to the foundation of the house in January after a real blow that came in from Hawaii, The Pineapple Express. There's very little wind here so I wouldn't call it a Chinook.

I just talked to a friend that went down to Wisc. for the big football game with his son. It's -40 inc. the chill factor there now!!! LOL

RugerFan
01-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Yup loving the warm balmy 30s. Wish it would last.

castalott
01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I was going to say something similar.

Alaska Guy doesn't post much in the summer, he is to weak from blood loss.

The ones here in Illinois carry you off and eat you later.....

jcwit
01-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Dream on you guys up there, forecast for Fairbanks this coming Fri. is -19, for here in No. Indiana 37 with a low of 36. hehehehe

We can tough it out for 2 whole days.

starmac
01-06-2014, 06:47 PM
-19 = swimming weather here. lol I saw an article this morning that claims the average temp in the U.S. is 21. something today. lol That is pretty good when you consider florida and some of the other states are in that average.

AkMike
01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
A couple of years ago we wandered up your way at -40 and went swimming! It was wonderful at the `Springs. Frost on your hair (if you have any left) and toasty warm everywhere else.

kayak1
01-06-2014, 07:00 PM
We were in the mid 50's today. My street has blacktop again, the snow isn't going to stick around for much longer. It's only dropping to 24F tonight.

btroj
01-06-2014, 07:09 PM
I would love to see the AK guys if they got a week of 95 plus temps with 60 plus percent humidity. Maybe cool overnight to 80 or so. Let's see how funny that is. Bet their lack of AC kills em.

AkMike
01-06-2014, 07:09 PM
We were in the mid 50's today. My street has blacktop again, the snow isn't going to stick around for much longer. It's only dropping to 24F tonight.

And where might you be at? Your profile doesn't show it.

prsman23
01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Leave the mainlanders alone!

AKbushman49
01-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Hey Cordova (Ak Guy) Ya wanna git in on the Palm tree pool? HA HA. bushman

AkMike
01-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I would love to see the AK guys if they got a week of 95 plus temps with 60 plus percent humidity. Maybe cool overnight to 80 or so. Let's see how funny that is. Bet their lack of AC kills em.

That's a fact! The heat and humidity wipes us out pretty fast.

AlaskanGuy
01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Lol.... I see green grass sprouting up all over the place... But no palm trees..... And BT, i been there, and yes, i would melt like frosty the snowman... I have a hard time with the matsu valley in the summer, it sometimes goes 85 ish...

By the way you hippys, looky what i found.....92849
Those are all the re-shooters that i have pulled out of the PILE of bullets that i picked out of the snow... These are all of the ones that i picked that are still good and round, ready to be sorted into cal's... Anything with messed up tips or other deformities go back into the smelt pail....

The other nice thing is being able to recover many of my own cast boolits... You can tell a lot about your casting methods and lube pratices by closely examining your shot boolits.... By shooting them into the snow, they are mostly undamaged... I do NOT re shoot cast... But got no problem shooting jacked bullets that are in good shape...

Look at my cast boolits.... Notice anything???? You new folks take a close look .....

What you should notice is that there is still a bit of lube in the lube grooves... That is when you know your lube is holding up.... And also, there are still gas checks on lots of them.... Another good thing. Rifling groves are well defined... Another plus... Even the 9 mm tumble lube lee boolits have a bit of alox still on them.... Another good sign... Even some of the 22 cal that LTC Wayne sent be held up very well, but I see that most of his the gas checks did not stay on.... Gunna have to talk to him about at one...lol.... Seems he better step up the discipline on some of his troops...lol. But i was happy to see that the little bators held their pants on....

One of my favorite things about alaskan warmups here is the bullet picking... In the spring you can still pick them, but they tend to be all muddy... But these are just sitting on top of the snow....

AG

AlaskanGuy
01-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Hey AKbushman49 ..... Where you at???? I aint seen you around the neighborhood before... Welcome...

**oneshot**
01-06-2014, 08:45 PM
I don't mind the cold but these up and down swings are killing me. Just this past weekend woke up to -6 on Sat to a high of 41/43 on Sunday followed by 36 at day break this morning to -2 predicted for the bus stop low. It's been crazy. I feel like I'm back at Ft Lostinthewoods, That was the only place I saw all 4 seasons in one day until this year.

bhn22
01-06-2014, 08:48 PM

Yup, yup. I'm constantly amazed at some of the guys who can't handle a normal Nebraska summer day. We had over a month last year where the temps hovered around a balmy hundred degrees, and the humidity made the uninitiated complain about having to do the Australian Crawl to get from building to building. Wusses! Even my brother from Florida complains about it when he visits. He cracks me up, her complains if it gets hot during a visit, and really complains if it gets below 70 or so. We're a hardy breed, here in the bush.

On the lighter side... we're expecting a high of 41 here in paradise tomorrow.

AlaskanGuy
01-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Hey.... I was at ft lost in the woods..... Got a reminder right here on my right arm...lol ... Of course it was over 30 years ago.... Prolly what inspired me to move to alaska to get away from it all....lol

starmac
01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
I don't wait till 95 to start melting, the ac runs pretty constant at 70. lol

Hogdaddy
01-06-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm in N/E FL, tomorro will be 19`F & sat high will be 80.. Now that's a stretch ; )PS anything below 50` is cold to me
H/D

Teddy (punchie)
01-06-2014, 11:16 PM
80 's baling hay is warm but good hay weather, now 85 is getting too warm. 90 we slow down and watch. 95 we take a lot of brakes. 100 is not common but we don't work in the hay fields. Hottest we baled in was around 102 just too hot.

Last warm day we baled was about 97 and we had two groups trading wagon time. The old AC D-19 was so hot that you could not touch the trany or any metal is was all hot .

Yesterday high was 43 right now -8 just nuts !! 51 deg. change in 24 hours.

Firebricker
01-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Yep to cold here told my daughter time to move to Alaska! But she aint buying it lol FB

kayak1
01-07-2014, 12:07 AM
And where might you be at? Your profile doesn't show it.

In one of the North East anti states.. I hope to move to a free state soon.

bhn22
01-07-2014, 12:33 AM
VICTORY!

I finally got my kitchen water lines flowing again! Stupid house, it happens at least once a year.

btroj
01-07-2014, 12:36 AM
VICTORY!

I finally got my kitchen water lines flowing again! Stupid house, it happens at least once a year.

We have a drain line that has frozen in the past. New garage doors seem to have eliminated that.

At least heat doesn't seem to affected the plumbing......

ACrowe25
01-07-2014, 01:15 AM
I felt like I lived in Alaska today when I came in from snow blowing mine and a few neighbors and had ice sickles from my nose! Was -8 at the time here in MI and keeps dropping lol.

AKbushman49
01-07-2014, 02:31 AM
AlaskanGuy- Bout 1/3 of the way to Fairbanks on the Parks from Anchortown. Didn't have internet till 2 yrs ago, as dial up was really bad. Then they finally ran new cable. Welcome to the wide world of speed ha ha. Was gonna ask you bout your 375 H&H load looked real good. Looking to do something along those lines, with the H&H, and my Whelen but got to finish the man cave first.
Little woman doesn't appreciate me doing this stuff in the cabin. And casting at -25-35 just aint getting it. Anyway, do ya mine the berm at the AVSUPFAC? Was a good source a few yrs ago. bushman

AKbushman49
01-07-2014, 02:41 AM
btroj- Been there done that, left AK it was -35, got to Austin at 1 am +99 (ugh) Must of sweated a gallon waiting for the refrigerator truck to pick me up. Ha Ha. bushman

bhn22
01-07-2014, 11:08 AM
We have a drain line that has frozen in the past. New garage doors seem to have eliminated that.

At least heat doesn't seem to affected the plumbing......

At least not the houses plumbing... [smilie=1: