PDA

View Full Version : Share one thing you did to keep the shooting party going?

WILCO
01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
One time, we needed a silhouette for a moving target. There was no time to get some. I laid down on a piece of cardboard and had someone trace my outline. We cut it out and painted it black. Everyone but me, hit it while moving......
I waited until the carrier stopped to tie his shoe. [smilie=1:

Artful
01-06-2014, 04:19 PM
When I was range office on the indoor pistol range - got tired of just bullseye shooting - started a few games of skill

Mano-el-Mano Balloon shoots - nickel a try winner got 3/4 club got 1/4 of the pot
(course that's when 50 38 reloads cost ya $1.50)

Poker nights were also big - 52 card faces to the wall - you get to shoot 5 times and collect your cards to pay your hand.
Got smarter later and had legal paper printed with deck of cards then you would put them face to the wall and change
orientation so you couldn't memorize where to try and shoot.

Zymurgy50
01-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Eggs,,,,, Took 3 dozen eggs and hard boiled half of them. Dollar to shoot, if you miss you either pay another dollar or ya eat your egg. Only problem here is the shooters dont know which eggs are cooked, and which are raw...........

jonp
01-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Ran out of targets and my buddy kept bragging how he could outshoot me with pistols so i took a quarter out if my pocket, jammed it in a pine tree, paced off 75ft or so and said lets have at it. I still carry one of the 3 i hit in my pocket. He didnt hit one and i never let him forget it

27judge
01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
my grandkids and I give ritz crackers and those multi colored candy wafers a fit at 20-35 yards . when we are done walk away no cleanup the local birds chip monks squirrels clean everything up. Oyster shells are great and make great breakable targets. Again when done walk away lots of fun with AR15, in 300 blackout , handguns and 30-06 rifles all shooting low vel. cast bullet loads tks KEN

RED333
01-06-2014, 09:31 PM
I have giving my ammo away to a dad and his son when I over heard them say
they were out and could not find anymore 22.(it really bothers me to hear this knowing what scalpers are doing)
Clays for a family that forgot targets, dug the trash for targets for me when I forgot targets.
That started a trend.

Artful
01-06-2014, 09:31 PM
my grandkids and I give ritz crackers and those multi colored candy wafers a fit at 20-35 yards .

Oh, how many of those Necco Wafer's I ruined.
http://www.sogoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/necco.jpg

rockrat
01-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Don't forget "sweet tarts" too. Use to shoot those with my pellet gun, in the hay barn

TXGunNut
01-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Buddy used to get bored and shoot my bobber when he got tired of fishing. Started sneaking bobbers out of his tacklebox, couldn't have him running out of targets, could we?

DIRT Farmer
01-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Empty 22 cases. never seemed to run out of targets, nowadays would be a problem.

WILCO
01-07-2014, 07:26 AM
All great replies! Thanks Gentlemen.

bobthenailer
01-07-2014, 09:48 AM
i like to use animal crackers , mini silhouttes.

**oneshot**
01-07-2014, 10:10 AM
We set up bowling pins at various ranges. Got tired of resetting them so I made a few into swingers. I used a set of steel pants hangers and bent them around the neck of the pin and then heavy chain attachment. They are awesome and last a long time.

Easy/simple swinger target frame. piece of pipe with holes drilled for eyehooks, 4 2x4's (I cut 2 of them in half) with a hole slightly larger than the pipe at one end(hole saw). 2 2x4's per side with the pipe threaded into the holes. Make it look like a saw horse and then shift the feet away from the target area making the bottom of an A-frame. /\ /\ Surprisingly sturdy. This also comes in handy if your buddy thinks he can shoot the swinger but shoots the leg out instead.

Wayne Smith
01-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Well, let's see. It is routine for me to get a novice shooter shooting something he/she never thought they would. This last time it was a young couple with their first guns, 9mm autos. She ended up shooting my 45 S&W and he ended up shooting both my target reloads (44 Special level) and full bore hunting reloads in my pastor's SBH. Yeah, I was shooting with my pastor.

Whenever I shoot the 44-40 in BP I get a crowd and many end up shooting their first BP.

Our range shooting positions are covered. I have introduced several people to shooting in the rain with paper plates with a target dot. Paper plates shed the water.

Artful
01-10-2014, 12:04 AM
I used to live in Oregon - for your Target Cardboard protectors - visit the neighborhood dry cleaners - the thin plastic bags they use fit over IPSC tombstone and most standard target frames and are inexpensive to boot and you can see the target pretty well.

texassako
01-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Grasshoppers are a bonus target for us during the summer and fall. A few always seem to jump on the targets, and you get bonus points for hitting one. Tough because you never know when one will show or which target.

steg
01-10-2014, 01:49 AM
+1 on the Hoppers

Artful
01-11-2014, 11:53 PM
for plinking by a creek it's always fun to have moving/floating targets - use dried broken branch's or in the fall floating leaves.

C. Latch
01-12-2014, 12:19 AM
I once bought a big bag of golf balls in a junk store. Toss a handful of them out into the yard, shoot at them and they'll move around a bit if you hit anywhere close; hit them just right and they'll fly out of sight.

jonp
01-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Oh, how many of those Necco Wafer's I ruined.
http://www.sogoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/necco.jpg
You should be strung up for that! :roll:

Artful
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Why? I paid for them, company happy to sell them, Biodegradable and was consumed at least in part by critters who no doubt appreciated the refined calorie intake.

I also know of a melon patch that had gone wild by an old homestead - wonderful targets and critters always cleaned up the mess with a day or two (only shot when large and ripe)

DRNurse1
01-12-2014, 07:40 PM
I use watermelon and cantaloupe as ballistic reactive targets for demonstration. fill with water first then shoot with 22LR RN and follow rapidly with 45ACP HP. Visual demonstration of hydro-static force....the folks never forget it.

DIRT Farmer
01-12-2014, 09:39 PM
I still remember being at a 4-H summer camp and the C O teaching firearms safety held up a head of cabbage, said this is your head, tossed it in the air and shot it with a 12 ga, said this is your head on 12 ga, watch your muzzle. Still remember the object lesson more than 50 years later.

bear67
01-12-2014, 10:45 PM
I have had great fun shooting pumpkins with the grand kids the last 3 or so years. The church that charters our Boy Scout troop holds a pumpkin patch and sells pumpkins for their youth group funds. At the end we get all their leftovers for the cost of loading and hauling off. Last year there were several hundred "mini-punkin's" about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and what fun.

I also get golf balls from the local college HPE department for $1/ 5 gal bucket--I supply the buckets. I weld a frame with some scrap 1" x 1" x 3/8 angle iron making a trough facing up. 80% of the ball is above the metal and .22 RFs don't do damage to the thick iron. We get yellow and white golf balls and the kids line them up alternating colors and the challenge is to shoot all the balls of one color and not knocking off the other color. They love it and keep score carefully and brag about being the best "Golf ball killer".

bear67
01-12-2014, 10:47 PM
One thing I did forget is that we get pumpkins coming up volunteer on the backstop berm and in front of the target stands. Just more things to shoot if the coons leave them alone.

jsizemore
01-13-2014, 12:30 AM
I carried some smallbore rifle silhouette targets to a regional pistol silhouette match. I started giving the kids 22lr ammo for tips for resetting targets and then others joined in.. When the big kids got done with the match, us kids got to work on the hunter pistol and smallbore rifle targets. Had more fun then eating deep fried turkey and shooting the big boy game. The club took up a collection to buy my set of targets.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2014, 12:57 AM
using a 5" steel disc (1/2" thick) with a fairly heavy chain welded to the top of it, then bolt the chain to a target holder of some sort.

Using 22LR pistols, shoot the right or left edge and the steel disc will twist the chain and expose the back side of the steel disc for about a second...try to shoot the back side of the steel disc. it helps to have a can of spray paint to easily show the hits.
This develops double tap skills.

WILCO
02-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Really enjoyed reading the replies.