PDA

View Full Version : Ever Seen One of These?

Bent Ramrod
12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
At a gun show recently I got this pair of presses (third photo) and several dies and punches for a very good price. I'm always fascinated with human-powered machinery anyway. The seller said he bought them from the RCE company but I didn't see anything of the sort on their web site. The seller said he used them for cutting wads, and there were punches, strippers and dies (first and second photo) for .357, .44, .45, .55 and .615. The first photo shows the relationship of punch and die in the press. I've used the .44 and .45 sets to cut cardboard wads for black powder .44-40 and .45-70 loads and it works very nicely.

It seems to me that these presses ought to be adaptable to a stripper and a cupping die rather than a straight cutoff die, i.e., a gas check maker for use with thin aluminum. I'd at least like to see if whoever made the presses recommends them for this or offers dies for this application before I consult my diemaking book and start experimenting. Has anybody ever seen anything like these presses or know who makes them?

Thanks in advance.

Bent

floodgate
12-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Dave:

Send the photos to Richard and see what he says. This swaging machinery is all-new to me, and I find it fascinating!

Doug

Bent Ramrod
12-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks, Doug. (Why don't I think of these solutions?:roll:)

Bret4207
12-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Appears to be an oversizes paper punch. Betcha it works great!