PDA

View Full Version : Student of the Boolit: Its To Cold and To Much Brass!

Cag40Navy
01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Well, over the past few months, the help I have received is awe inspiring while I was in Flordia. Anyways, I may not be in Flordia for to much longer for electing to probably come back sooner than most think to be closer to the "Training Facility" (AKA: Brassmagnet's place of residency). Also... No pictures in the thread yet, im tired and lazy to be quite honest. Will be uploaded at a later date.

Anyways, you probably have come to read more about my adventure in casting/loading. Well, no casting, all brass prep. About 1205 reasons to want to hate the gold colored metal called Brass. This adventure started when I got back home with a box full of fun stuff (Look for my Christmas thread.) which was of huge help! After a while, and the purchase of a new battle rifle, came prepping brass for the gun.... a box full... 1205 pieces of 7.62x51 GI brass to be specific. The first 2 1/2 days alone was on uniforming flash holes. Though it was drilled into me "this is the most important part of the process". It was here I got a real appreciation of how if you do things right, this will help you get where you want to be.

After uniforming all the flash holes, it was time to pick 100 of them for actual loading prep began. We sized each neck with a Lyman M die and did this on a Lyman All-American press. Pretty sweet if I must say myself! Anyways, after neck resizing, it was time to primer them... and I got to meet the pocket swagger. This would "help" the process of putting primers in their place but man my thumb was really sore after that job. Using the Lee primer, I got'er done.

Soon, it was powder time and I got to use and learn how to use my new powder measure. I like it, pretty consistent sucker to say the least! We did 2 different loads in which both had different powders and boolits. These were pre-casted boolits that BM provided for use in my ishapore. It was through the usage of a electronic scale, my powder measure, and my hands that we filled them all.

Finally, the shining moment.... Putting the boolit in the brass and make loaded ammo. It was here I earned how to use a seating die and how to adjust it. I got good at it, and was easier than I thought. After 100, we had 2 different loads loaded and now came the moment of truth.

Will they fire without killing me or BM. After finishing the last batch, we went the range with my Ishapore and fired of about 15-20 rounds before we decided to say screw it because we couldn't feel our fingers and it was just way to cold. Though the ammo seemed accurate at 50 yards but we really need to stretch this rifles legs before we make any assumptions.

Anyways, with the many dinners I have had at his place, I will be heading back to Florida on a much more temporary basis to get things taken care of. Anyways, like I said, ill get photo's up soon.

This experience was more to really learn the basic's of reloading and how to do it. We will have a lot more to learn when I get back so the next chapter of SOTB will be coming soon! We should be prepping 32 Win Special brass next time after we swag, primer, powder, and load the remaining 1105 pieces of brass... Oh wait did I say we, I meant me. :grin:

BrassMagnet
01-05-2014, 09:02 PM
CRACK!

Faster Student of the Boolit!

CRACK!

Faster Student of the Boolit!

CRACK!

What is going to wear out faster? Student of the Boolit or Bullwhip of the BrassMagnet?

CRACK! CRACK! CRACK!

BrassMagnet
01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Load all winter and shoot all summer!

plmitch
01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Slave driver....

DRNurse1
01-05-2014, 09:10 PM
that's what I need, a whip in my reloading room!

BrassMagnet
01-05-2014, 09:16 PM
that's what I need, a whip in my reloading room!

Trainees, too!

It worked when I was little!

freebullet
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Congrats!

If your fingers are just sore but not hurt/throbbing it may be a sign you need larger batches of brass to play with.

vintagesportsman
01-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Ha...I am dreading the same. My son-in-law left on deployment - but before he did he brought me a box FULL of 7.62x51! Must be 1000 rounds of brass to clean and prep :killingpc

BrassMagnet
01-06-2014, 07:41 PM
The Student of the Boolit ran off to college again.

Do you think he was afraid of the brass pile?

I have heard that perfect practice makes perfect.

I volunteered the Student of the Boolit for lotsa perfect practice.

Crack! Crack! Crack!