PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use one of these crimp removers?

PB234
01-05-2014, 06:28 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221348076508?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

AlaskanGuy
01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
No but they look interesting... Might have to order one.... And there are cutters on both side so looks like you get 2....

AG

Sweetpea
01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Same basic design that RCBS has for their prep center.

I've used it, and I prefer to swage.

Brandon

WallyM3
01-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Unless there's some compelling reason to do otherwise (I haven't yet encountered it), I prefer not to remove metal from the primer pocket area. For those who don't mind, it looks like a well made tool, nicely finished.

Any hand held approach is likely to remove metal "off axis" if you get what I mean. Kind of like sharpening a knife blade w/o a fixture.

zuke
01-06-2014, 11:11 PM
over engineered

dudel
01-06-2014, 11:34 PM
You have two options as I see it, swag or remove metal. I'd rather swage than remove metal. If I was going to remove metal, I'm not sure I see much advantage over a regular chamfer tool.

kd185
01-07-2014, 06:38 AM
i have all 3 from this seller small, large and bmg
ive had good luck with them
buy with confidence
you can adjust how much metal you care to remove
i take a little of the crimp out then i run the brass through the rcbs press mounted swager
good thing i don't deal with much crimped brass

mdi
01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Well, That looks like a well designed/engineered/built tool, and will prolly last a lifetime of deburring brass, but for a new reloader it may be overkill. Unless you're a "tool nut" like me, you can get by cheaper and easier.

As a lifelong machinist/mechanic my first encounter with primer crimps led me to a "normal" solution; a countersink. Common sense tells one to just remove enough metal to enable new primer seating and not reshape the sides of the pocket (just a couple twists by hand are all that's necessary). I have done a lot of crimp removals with a plain old 60 degree countersink on 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56, and 30-06 (I shoot a lot od mil-spec brass in my M1) and I have never had a primer fail from too little support due to using a counter sink. But it boils down to what you would like to use; countersink, reamer, or swage, they all remove the mil-spec crimps...

Char-Gar
01-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Unless there's some compelling reason to do otherwise (I haven't yet encountered it), I prefer not to remove metal from the primer pocket area. For those who don't mind, it looks like a well made tool, nicely finished.

Any hand held approach is likely to remove metal "off axis" if you get what I mean. Kind of like sharpening a knife blade w/o a fixture.

People have been sharpening knife blades "off axis" for centuries with good results and no disasters. People have also been removing primer crimps "off axis" for as long as people have been reloading cases with crimped in primers, again with good results and no disasters.

The tool in questions looks like it would work just fine. Here are many other and cheaper methods that will work equally well.

I have swaged and cut out the crimps and have no strong preference of one way over another. Moving the crimped material back won't make the case any stronger than cutting it out. Once that metal has been moved it will never go back the way it was. It is only a matter of which method you choose to use to get it out of the way of a new primer.

WallyM3
01-07-2014, 03:16 PM
"People have been sharpening knife blades "off axis" for centuries with good results and no disasters. People have also been removing primer crimps "off axis" for as long as people have been reloading cases with crimped in primers, again with good results and no disasters."

That's perfectly true, Char. So is my statement.

wallenba
01-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Not sure if those were meant to remove crimps. They look like regular primer pocket uniformers to square up the pocket, to ensure uniform seating depth and squareness. Probably would cut through a crimp though, but I would prefer to move the brass in that area of the pocket through swaging, than remove it.

MtGun44
01-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Quick twist with a standard case deburring tool does the exact same thing with
no need for another tool.

I prefer to swage out the crimp rather than remove metal from a critical area of my
brass. I have done both ways and stopped cutting years ago. Does it work? Yes.

Bill

deadarrow
01-07-2014, 10:53 PM
Dillon Super Swager 600..... best $100 I ever spent. I actually enjoy removing crimps with this unit. Easy to use... works with any cartrage.... I bolt it to my bench using wing nuts and remove it when I'm done...

PDshooter
01-11-2014, 06:15 PM
This is how I do it..........

bhn22
01-11-2014, 06:19 PM
A ten dollar Hornady crimp reamer chucked in a cordless drill knocks out mass quantities of military brass in short order.