PDA

View Full Version : First try at homemade tumbler

Themayor
01-05-2014, 04:31 PM
First attempt at something I saw online. 84 bucks for the motor, 2.99 for rollerblade wheels, 12 bucks for bucket lid and screws at home depot. Used leftover wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5a12c60mXo

dsbock
01-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Nice job! That is an elegant solution. I may have all the ingredients in my workshop to put that together.

Just a few questions.
How are the rollerblade wheels attached to the supports?
What is the horsepower of the motor?
Are you using wet or dry media?

Thanks.

David

Themayor
01-05-2014, 04:57 PM
How are the rollerblade wheels attached to the supports? Wood screw actually. Because they have bearings we used a wood screw because we had them.
What is the horsepower of the motor? 1/2 HP. I would have gone with 1/3 but harbor freight didn't have it.
Are you using wet or dry media? Stainless steel media, runnign it now with 1 gallon of water 5lbs media, 5 of brass

Johnny Boy
01-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Nicely done! I'm going to have to give this a spin. (Sorry, that was very bad.) Wet tumbling with SS media was a topic of conversation as a hunting buddy and I were on the drive back from the deer processor Saturday afternoon.

jonas302
01-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Looks like its getting it done nice job

mdi
01-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Lookin' good! I would think I'd want it to run a bit slower, but if it's working for you and your brass comes out clean, perfect...

Themayor
01-07-2014, 05:51 PM
My only issue right now is the wheel touching the motor is getting hot so I need to find something else to alleviate that. I am trying a nylon bushing first and if not a better wheel.

CastingFool
01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
My only issue right now is the wheel touching the motor is getting hot so I need to find something else to alleviate that. I am trying a nylon bushing first and if not a better wheel.

The "drive" wheel may be slipping, or maybe the other wheels are dragging. Make sure the drum rotates freely and easily. Also, you could be overloading your drum. Just a thought

44Vaquero
01-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Themayor nice job! It's great to see people building things at home. A wider contact patch is needed at the motor, not enough grip at the drive shaft.

For future builders: Used/broken clothes dryers are a great source for motors and the mounts are usually bolted to the unit.

dsbock
01-08-2014, 12:37 AM
If you have another rollerblade wheel, try mounting it on the motor shaft for better coefficient of friction.

David

Themayor
01-08-2014, 09:52 AM
No it isn't slipping its just the cheap wheel against the motor isn't working well. I couldn't get the nylon spacer I wanted at home depot so will try ordering it online. I am going to try that over the shaft with some jb weld to hold it unless someone else has a better idea.

Themayor
01-08-2014, 09:54 AM
If you have another rollerblade wheel, try mounting it on the motor shaft for better coefficient of friction.

David

I don't have a way to make the wheel fit the shaft.

44Vaquero
01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
No it isn't slipping its just the cheap wheel against the motor isn't working well. I couldn't get the nylon spacer I wanted at home depot so will try ordering it online. I am going to try that over the shaft with some jb weld to hold it unless someone else has a better idea.

So is the motor shaft slipping against the cheap wheel?

The skate wheels are made of urethane or some other quality plastic I might not worry to much. It will eventually wear down that's all, unless the drum stalls and stops the wheel from turning, in which case the shaft will melt it!

Themayor
01-08-2014, 02:37 PM
More like the wheel is getting super hot and melting into the plastic after running for an hour if i stop it.

dsbock
01-08-2014, 08:41 PM
A small section of surgical tubing that's a press fit over the motor shaft might work.

David

Themayor
01-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Tubing didn't work. Ordered a skateboard wheel which will be harder and have my surface area to try next.

lead-1
01-19-2014, 06:47 AM
Themayor nice job! It's great to see people building things at home. A wider contact patch is needed at the motor, not enough grip at the drive shaft.

For future builders: Used/broken clothes dryers are a great source for motors and the mounts are usually bolted to the unit.

I agree with this statement.
I just tore down an old dryer and robbed the motor, wiring, controls and limit switches from it. Just couldn't bring myself to tossing it out, lol.

Themayor
01-19-2014, 11:43 AM
If I had access to an old dryer I would have tried it. I'm hoping the new wheel alleviates the friction issue with the shaft.

44Vaquero
01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Lead-1,

I have trained all my family members to let me know about discarded washers and dryers! My son and I now have a back-stock of 5 or 6 units. It even paid off an unexpected dividend when the motor on our own dryer failed, I just walked out in the garage and pulled one off the shelf. One big plus for the dryer motor is they have out put shafts on each end!

Themayor, scraping and up-cycling is a back burner project all the time. When you see the opportunity for salvage you have to take it, even if you do not have a current need.

Themayor
01-19-2014, 08:12 PM
I don't really have space for a spare equipment that big. I live in an HOA and my garage is pretty full.

Bored1
01-23-2014, 12:53 AM
NICE!!! Got a few motors and all the other parts I believe sitting around here that would work for that!!! Thanks for sharing.