PDA

View Full Version : Mystery lead

bushwack
01-05-2014, 02:54 PM
A friend of mine asked me if I knew anything about this lead, I can't find any information on the internet so I was hoping somebody might know what it is. It has a ring to it when it is dropped also any ideas on lead, tin, and antimony content in it? Here are two pictures of it.
Thanks for your help bushwack

Dusty Bannister
01-05-2014, 07:01 PM
Sometimes it helps to show the surface of the ingot that was not in contact with the mold. Then it also helps if you can break the mold in half. A clear photo of the grain structure at the fracture can give a clue too. Softer lead will not break. If you are not willing to do that, grab an old ingot of WW alloy and squeeze a ball bearing between the mystery metal and the known WW ingot or pure lead ingot and compare the size of the indent. Just looking, it could be anything with low tin content or just left in the weather a lot. Update the information and maybe someone can help.

Sometimes folks use about anything to cast ingots, so just the name might be misleading.

bushwack
01-05-2014, 10:50 PM
thanks for your help. I will have to give the ball bearing test a try tomorrow. thanks, bushwack

jsizemore
01-06-2014, 08:54 AM
If it weighs about 5 lbs then I'm guessing it's plumber's lead.

WILCO
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
I know some of the other members have mentioned going to the scrap yard for help identifying mystery lead. A lead hardness tester will tell you a lot. All of my "Mystery Lead" goes into a seperate pile for later use.

zuke
01-06-2014, 10:58 PM
My mystery lead will be cast seperately and used up that way.Probably in the 45-70

merlin101
01-10-2014, 05:06 PM
My mystery lead will be cast seperately and used up that way.Probably in the 45-70

My mystery lead got cast into 100lb wheel weights for my tractor:) If I ever run out of 'good' lead I know where to find a couple hundred pounds.