01-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Stock is in very nice condition

So is safe to shoot?

Or is it better to fix it?

So what is the best way to fix it?

Thanks for any help

w5pv
01-05-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't think I would shoot it until the crack has been repaired,There are several on this forum that does this type of work,they could stir you they correct route to take.

Dan Cash
01-05-2014, 03:45 PM
I believe I would conduct a complete and careful inspection of the rest of the rifle as such a crack comes from a great deal of lateral pressure on the stock. Is the barrel bent?

Gtek
01-05-2014, 04:17 PM
The crossbolt in stock serves two purposes. One is being the shoulder for receiver lug, and second is strength in stock in thin area. I would guess that weapon was laying on right side and it was either stacked or sat or fell against to create that 90 degree break to grain line. The forces when fired are trying to push the barrel/receiver group straight back. I would strip stock, clean as well as you can in cracked area chemically. Epoxy together with pressure to bond area. Then I would get two WWII brass threaded repair screws and run through at 45 degrees or so top and bottom of lug area in right wall. It is broke, going to be hard to hide. Fix, make solid or replace stock. Gtek

DCP
01-05-2014, 05:24 PM
The crossbolt in stock serves two purposes. One is being the shoulder for receiver lug, and second is strength in stock in thin area. I would guess that weapon was laying on right side and it was either stacked or sat or fell against to create that 90 degree break to grain line. The forces when fired are trying to push the barrel/receiver group straight back. I would strip stock, clean as well as you can in cracked area chemically. Epoxy together with pressure to bond area. Then I would get two WWII brass threaded repair screws and run through at 45 degrees or so top and bottom of lug area in right wall. It is broke, going to be hard to hide. Fix, make solid or replace stock. Gtek

I believe a fix is the only option.
Only the right side has a crack.

This is a 1941 Portuguese Contract K98k in 90 to 95 percent condition. Its all matching

If I want to shoot it I need to repair it or put it in a donor stock to shoot.
Then store it in the original stock.

I don't want to refinish it.

or

Just don't shoot it and leave it alone.

Thanks for the help

country gent
01-05-2014, 06:10 PM
I would repair it. Does the crack run thru to the mortise in letting on the inside? If you can flex it enough to open crak a little a good glue pushed in with a rubber tipped blow gun and light air pressure then clamped in place straight and true. Oiginal clean stock you dont eant to be adding screws or dowels unless you really have to. I would use a good thun wood glue ( gorilla glue) puch it in with a rubber tipped blow gun at about 30 psi pressure. A rod down the barrel channel and some clamps. Let cure and when gue is starung to cure wipe down smooth. If using one of the new "expanbding" glues check every so often to make sure its not pushing out if so wipe as it easier to wipe soft glue than trim cured glue. I have fixed furniture and other cracks in this manner. Put the rubber tip of the blow gun tight to stock and hold pressure and work along crack using air pressure to force glue into crack. If it thru to inletting you can see when crack is filled.

DCP
01-05-2014, 06:44 PM
I just bought it. The buy it now was just to good even with the crack

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=386118583

Link to photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/106778507377288493651/1941Portuguese?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOTt1LmN2vmkvwE&feat=directlink

jonk
01-05-2014, 06:50 PM
If it were a less rare piece, I would say just to drill a few holes through the crack, insert some dowels with epoxy, and call it done.

That said, that will devalue the piece a bit.

If it were mine I'd remove the crossbolt if possible and go from there; but yes, I would repair it. But do so in the knowledge that it will slightly devalue it.

Another option- there are professionals I've seen do this that do it so well you can't see the crack, but their work isn't free- or terribly cheap. But it might be worth it.

SciFiJim
01-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Here are three stickies that might help! Good info!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?81133-Lost-your-toe-Make-a-new-one!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?80483-From-Firewood-to-a-Gunstock

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?43989-Repairing-restoring-cleaning-up-or-refinishing-a-rifle-stock

If you decide to repair it, please post before and after pictures. It will be interesting to watch the process and see the final result.

BCgunworks
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
There are many ways to fix this one. A combo of pinning and quality glue/epoxy will take care of it.

Fixing cracks in a stock is pretty common. The only time I normally think of a cracked stock as possible un safe is when the pistol grip portion is cracked. Don't want that thing coming apart in your hands!

madsenshooter
01-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Gorilla glue was mentioned above, I find it expands quite a bit. I fix cracks in Krag stocks by drilling into them then inject epoxy until it flows out the crack. Clean up any excess, good for another 100+ years. Best if you can drill in an out of sight place on the inside of the stock, but not always possible.

nekshot
01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
If the gun is not valuable glass bedding the action and fixing that crack would be sufficient for messing with moderate cast shooting in my book.

Multigunner
01-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Remove all oil from the crack, then drill a small diameter hole from inside the inletting at an angle to reach the inside center of the crack. Inject accra glass till some runs out of the crack all around it.
You can follow up by running a threaded brass rod into the hole to hold the crack closed. With care it shouldn't show much.

When it comes to a broken or badly cracked stock, especially in an area that carries this much load, repairing the stock does not bring down its value as much as leaving it un repaired. If you don't repair it now the crack can only grow larger, even if you don't shoot the rifle changes in humidity can cause a crack to spread.

gnoahhh
01-12-2014, 11:39 AM
The thing with gluing a crack like that is you are hoping for a good bond in an end grain-to-end grain joint. 'Taint no way to get a decent bond in a scenario like that. The best you can hope for is about 10-20% of the integrity of a long grain-to-long grain joint. I would use a good epoxy, as described above, and hope for the best- but don't be surprised if it fails sooner or later. That spot takes a beating from recoil being transmitted to the cross bolt and that will surely exacerbate the issue.

Another thing to take into account is whatever crud and corruption might lay inside that crack. If it's a fresh break with good clean wood you have better chance for a bond of some sort. If it's an old break and the crack contains dirt, oil, or other crud, it needs to be excavated to expose clean wood or no matter what you infuse into it won't bond worth a tinkers dam.

If the gun is meant to be a shooter, the only recourse is a new stock, or a significantly sized wood dutchman put in place.

7s&8s
01-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Sorry, but haven't visited the post in a bit. Traveling overseas. From the pictures, this looks like a collectible piece at a great price. I would think that a visible repair may detract from collectible value. I would consider a replacement, with the original safely kept nearby...
Best Regards,
Tom

DCP
01-18-2014, 11:52 AM
UPDATE

All inspection was done with magnification.

After receiving rifle I inspected crack
You can’t see crack on the inside
You can’t see movement in crack with or without recoil lug in place. When flexing the stock
Very clean inside stock with no evidence of repair
Again crack has no movement.

Maybe glued long ago?

gwpercle
01-20-2014, 05:14 PM
Don't use Gorilla glue on the stock, that stuff expands when drying , not the best for stock repair. Use good old fashioned two part Epoxy, the slow curing stuff is better than Quick drying kind .

flounderman
01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
It probably was glued if the crack won't open up. Pictures look like it was. The thrust on the crossbolt from the recoil lug is straight back. I doubt that shooting the gun will open the crack. shooting didn't cause the crack. I would use it like it is and if there is movement in the crack, then you can try to repair it. If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Looks like a repair has already been implemented. I'd leave well enough alone and shoot it as it is now. If it has a problem later, then repair as needed with the suggestions about drilling and epoxy. Acraglas gel is a very good epoxy for this purpose and can be colored to match the stock fairly closely.

Gunnut 45/454
01-27-2014, 07:11 PM
DCP
So the seller never showed the crack in his pictures? He never mentioned it is his discription! I do see it in pic #3 on gun broker -but if someone wasn't looking it could be missed. For $900 you got screwed- report the seller so he can't sell anymore. When a seller says "No returns" Run from that seller! If the gun isn't Serail # correct I'd find a nice stock to get it back into shape or do a repair.:roll:

DCP
01-27-2014, 07:51 PM
I just love posts like this one.

First
Seller did disclose the crack

"The stock shows the normal handling marks and a hairline crack at the recoil lug"
You apparently Have no Idea What these sell for 1500.00 to 2000.00

Last I wrote Its all matching. He wrote its all matching (you must be speed reading)

FYI
I found a nice Portuguese stock a few hundred #s from this stock. I will use it to shoot the Rifle

DCP
So the seller never showed the crack in his pictures? He never mentioned it is his discription! I do see it in pic #3 on gun broker -but if someone wasn't looking it could be missed. For $900 you got screwed- report the seller so he can't sell anymore. When a seller says "No returns" Run from that seller! If the gun isn't Serail # correct I'd find a nice stock to get it back into shape or do a repair.:roll:

pretzelxx
01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Nice buy! Good to see these pieces still in pretty good condition!