PDA

View Full Version : Ideal/Lyman name transition...

weakhand luke
12-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Anyone know when Lyman started stamping "Lyman" on the former Ideal moulds?

floodgate
12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Luke:

According to Tom Griffin at Lyman: '"..I believe the switch to the Lyman name occurred in 1964. I have seen change notices on old prints referencing this change as being in 1964."

This would, of course, apply to the manufacturing date, and not necessarily to the date at which inventory stock was actually sold, which - for less-popular designs - might be several years later.

floodgate

weakhand luke
12-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks! I've recently picked up an Ideal 358432. It's in great shape and casts good boolits (ww+2%tin). One thing I noticed, though, is that the block faces are smooth ie. lacking the vent lines. Doesn't seem to hamper the performance.

floodgate
12-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Luke:

More from Tom Griffin: "I do not have a solid answer on when moulds were firsrt vented. My estimate would be the early to mid '50's. This is because vented moulds are pictured in our 1st edition Cast Bullet Handbook, which as published in 1958."

This jibes with my experience; the first few Ideal moulds I bought in the early 1950's were un-vented. It may be just me, but I've never had any problems casting with unvented moulds. But then, I work strictly with lead-tin mixes, from 16:1 to 40:1.

Tom has been most patient and helpful to me on inquiries like this; but before pestering him any more, we've got a "sticky" somewhere that has answers to these and several other Ideal /Lyman questions - but I don't know where to look for them.

Doug

45nut
12-01-2007, 09:59 PM
Stickies and Classics ,,,, in there. :)

weakhand luke
12-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all that. This is brand new stuff for me. I did do a search here, within the forum, and via google. I have read tons of stuff in "Classics", THE Lyman Handbook, and the book offered thru the cast bullet assoc. I consider myself fortunate to have you all "out there" and especially lucky to have a local mentor to ask the really dumb questions.

I guess what I've learned from this is that a quality mould is a lifetime investment.