PDA

View Full Version : Need LLA Recipe,

Tomuchiron
01-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Going back to tumble lubing and 45/45/10 type lube. So how do I make Lee L Alox. and Or How can I convert Ben's Red to Tumble lube Mix. Pan lubing is not working out for me.
I tried hot tumble lubing with Ben's Red. Don't recommend it.
I need a thinner for Ben's Red that will evaporate out and leave the tumble coating. It seems that beeswax will not let Ben's Red disolve like LLA will.
Mike

Airman Basic
01-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Just a suggestion:
http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=31

leftiye
01-05-2014, 08:31 AM
"Lee Liquid Alox" Heavy on the LEE. White label lubes sells something like it too (alox with solvent).

Tonto
01-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Maybe a little clearer...
LLA is a product sold by Lee Precision, tough to "make" Lee Liquid Alox on your own
45-45-10 is 45% LLA, 45% Johnson's Paste Wax and 10% Mineral Spirits
Some I suspect substitute Carnauba Wax in various ways to substitute for the Johnson's Paste Wax
As mentioned, White Label Lubes, a great contributor to this site sells bulk Liquid ALOX that works as a substitute for LLA (used like the original or in the recipe above) as well as selling finished 45-45-10 Lube by the quart. Good stuff, what ever you decide.

randyrat
01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
This may be a solution for some boolits or some situations. Nothing will replace the speed of tumble lubing though.
Check this out if you failed at pan lubing:
Dip lubing lead boolits

For a long time I didn't owned a lube sizer, so I dipped all my lead bullets to lube them. Here are some simple tips to make dipping easier.
Using an already sized gas or no gas checked bullet
1) Melt your lube and have plenty of old news paper or paper towels handy. Use low heat so you don’t ruin the lube quality. A simple home made double boiler works great.
2) Heat your lead bullets so they are HOT to the touch 150-175 Deg F.
3) Using a needle noose pliers dip your bullets to the point where there is no more lube grooves let drip for a few seconds.
4) wipe the bottom of bullet on a paper towel and set on Wax paper to cool
* Hotter the bullets the less lube will stick to them when dipping.
* Need more lube on your bullets, cool your bullets a little before dipping them, more lube will stick.
* These bullets will be ready to load in 10- 15 minutes

bhn22
01-05-2014, 11:38 AM
LLA was originally automotive rustproofing compound (allegedly Ziebart). Not undercoating, but the stuff the dealers would squirt inside your cars body panels. If you want a spray on version, Cosmolene is now available in spray cans, and it certainly smells & acts the same. I thought LLA was cool, until I had to dig it out of my bullet seating and crimping dies a few times. The short version is that Lee doesn't make it either, they buy it and package it. Their MSDS will give you some information. http://dragonbulletlube.com/data/ALOX-R-606-55HF-MSDS.pdf

fryboy
01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
simply put - buy alox , thin with mineral spirits until desired viscosity

not sure what type of solvent lee uses but the above is pretty darn close , the hint is lee states to use mineral spirits to thin or clean their LLA

of note * room temp and warmed alox behave very differently ( room temp is more umm solid so to speak )

Tomuchiron
01-05-2014, 07:55 PM
I've used 45-45-10 quite a bit but find I have finally run out of those little bottles of LLA. I've read quite a few recipes here and I assume most of them are for sizers and pan lubers. None have specifically stated for tumble lubing. I like the Ben's Red some what. It sticks better to your fingers than the bullet grooves though. But Beeswax has Me stumped as to what it actually is. I'm guessing that it is not petroleum so exactly what is it and how to thin it for tumble lubing.
with a liquid that will evaporate back out. Some of the solvents that I have tried the beeswax has clumped back out of the mixture.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-05-2014, 08:17 PM
recipe for 45-45-10
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

I've used 45-45-10 quite a bit but find I have finally run out of those little bottles of LLA. I've read quite a few recipes here and I assume most of them are for sizers and pan lubers. None have specifically stated for tumble lubing. I like the Ben's Red some what. It sticks better to your fingers than the bullet grooves though. But Beeswax has Me stumped as to what it actually is. I'm guessing that it is not petroleum so exactly what is it and how to thin it for tumble lubing.
with a liquid that will evaporate back out. Some of the solvents that I have tried the beeswax has clumped back out of the mixture.

Beeswax is a natural product made by honey Bees to encapsulate their Honey in little Hexagonal cells

jonas302
01-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Pan lube and tumble are 2 very different things they have no relation to on another as far as the recipes go
The link in post 2 is your best bet cheap easy and many years supply in that bottle or you can buy xlox from him (same as LLA) and mix your own but I can't see any reason to

Airman Basic
01-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Try this:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

cbashooter
01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
just use Planet Waves "step 2" liquid carnauba wax.Works as well or better than LLA.No need to mix your own.

I had Ziebart on my old Chevy from the late 70's it was thicker but did sure smell similar to Lee alox as i remember.

http://planetwaves.com/publish/pwProductDetail.aspx?ActiveID=4115&productid=533&productname=Protect___Liquid_Carnauba_Wax&sid=5911aeb0-48f0-4c06-b5f9-fb5aafcf51d4

Tomuchiron
01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Still need a recipe for LLA. Surely somebody has figured out how to Duplicate it.
Thanks for all the good response guys. I've learned a lot from this site. Thinking back to a lot of the older methods i used to use, the internet has been has been an outstanding source of nearly immediate information.
Mike

btroj
01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
It isn't to be duplicated. It is a product you can't replicate. Just buy it from White Label.

bhn22
01-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Lee doesn't make it either. They buy it, and package it.

fryboy
01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
in essence , as stated , lee buys it , cuts it with a fast drying solvent to their desired viscosity and packages it , as i stated before they may not use mineral spirits per say but it's assuredly a similar solvent , in essence it's thinned down alox , in order to make the thinner stuff first you have to get the thicker stuff , f.w.i.w. even lee ( and various folks on here - including myself ) suggest to further thin down lee's product for better drying , since i found recluse's excellent recipe i no longer use LLA straight ( or thinned down ) but i usually have a bottle of the recipe handy

http://www.hgsitebuilder.com/files/writeable/uploads/hostgator322638/image/liquidx-loxdescription.jpg

the liquid stuff is Alox 606-55HF ( thinned down to a usable consistency )

here's a link lar's msds on them

http://www.lsstuff.com/msds

deerspy
01-30-2014, 04:44 PM
ok I am confused is 45/45/10 for tumble lube or pan lube

saphelps
01-30-2014, 09:37 PM
tumble

Shiloh
01-30-2014, 10:37 PM
These are the folks who make ALOX. LEE buys it from them and repackages it.
I think they only selll it in drums.

http://www.lubrizol.com/WebSearch.aspx?searchtext=alox&folderid=0&searchfor=all&orderby=id&orderdirection=ascending

Shiloh

Ben
01-30-2014, 10:39 PM
Beeswax has Me stumped as to what it actually is.

Not me,I'm not confused at all about it.
It is Beeswax, the bees make it.

btroj
01-30-2014, 10:48 PM

That response is the bees knees!

Beeswax comes from bees? Who'da thunk it.........

DLCTEX
01-30-2014, 11:26 PM
I thought he was joking, but maybe not. I forget some people live in citys and don't know about the birds and bees.

frankenfab
01-30-2014, 11:30 PM
"too much iron".

RoyEllis
01-30-2014, 11:34 PM

That ? was absolutely epic, wasn't it Ben! Me thinks someone needs learn "google is thy friend".

dromia
02-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Not even worth thinking about making Alox when White Label sell it at as Xlox at such a good price.

I buy my 45/45/10 from them too.

wmitty
02-16-2014, 08:43 PM
If tin whistles are made from tin, what do they make fog horns out of?
\

runfiverun
02-16-2014, 09:51 PM
I wish tin whistles were made outta tin.

alox is a calcified oxidized version of Vaseline.
you could spend a lot of time grinding up tums and mixing it with a jar of mineral oil [or a mix of mineral oil and Vaseline] then cooking it until it's burnt to figure out the asked for alox recipe but some things are just best purchased.

btroj
02-16-2014, 09:55 PM
I tried squeezing oil out of a baby once.....

Kosh75287
01-07-2024, 08:36 PM
I tried squeezing oil out of a baby once.....

LMAOROFL!!! And how'd that work out for you?

BentSprings
01-07-2024, 09:12 PM
And the thread necropsy award goes to Kosh for the valiant 10 year dig up.