PDA

View Full Version : External adjustment target scope question

nitroproof
12-01-2007, 12:23 PM
This falls into "there's no such thing as a dumb question" catagory:

I have a Leatherwood Malcolm scope with the primitive rear scope mount:
http://ironsightinc.com/images/large_malcolm_short.png

Here' my question... If purchased a target quality mounts, it would be necessary to remove one eye piece to get the front mount off, wouldn't the nitrogen gas escape?

This question has been bugging me...

Scrounger
12-01-2007, 01:26 PM
The nitrogen leaks out anyway in a short time. And I never heard of a scope mount that required a lens or eyepiece to be removed in order to mount. I take it you're not familiar with scopes so I'd recommend taking the gun and scope to a gunsmith for mounting.

nitroproof
12-01-2007, 03:01 PM
Scrounger,

The front mount consists of two pieces, a solid ring section with the base clamp and a split ring that clamps to the scope tube and allow the mount to flex up and down.
Had to have been installed when the scope was assembled. The rear mount may slip over the eyepiece if the screws and plungers are backed out.

No plans to upgrade mounts at this time, just curious about the nitrogen.

4060MAY
12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
you may want to ask on this site
http://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/yabb.pl
most there use external adjusting scopes.
I have four, 2 Lymans, 1 Unertl, and 1 MVA
looks to me the rear eyepiece has to be removed.
I have never replaced external mounts.
let us know what to find out

Scrounger
12-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I have read that the nitrogen almost always leaks out. I can't imagine anyone designing a mount like that. There has to be a better way.

felix
12-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Art, only the very high dollar scopes use glass with no lead/tin, glass etched cross-hairs, and seals that don't leak for many, many years. Folks on this board typically don't want to pay the price for these quality components. ... felix

crossfireoops
12-01-2007, 07:25 PM
That Leatherwood system bears NO resemblance to the classic mounts.....NONE.

And the chinamen that build it wouldn't know a target rifle from a Twinky.

The ones I've looked at are riddled with soft parts, ....their screws are a joke.

GTC

nitroproof
12-01-2007, 09:03 PM
It's working for me... the scope cost under $300 and gunsmith charged me $40 to drill and tap the four holes.

It's my .38/55 cast boolit plinker, definitely not a Schuetzen/BPCR setup but I'm having fun with it.

crossfireoops
12-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I reckon the optics OK.

The mounts definately SUCK.

Are you changing yours out cuz' your bored with them?

GTC

nitroproof
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
GTC-

Having a ball shooting the rifle just the way it is. Just wondering what options are out there when/if I get bored/frustrated with it.
Can't justify spending $250 or more on a better rear mount, been watching Fleabay for used Unertl style mounts.

nitroproof
02-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Guys~

I visited the NRA's National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, VA today. One of the things I took special note of was the early scoped rifles. A Winchester 1885 single shot had a rear scope mount exactly like the one that came with my Malcolm "short" scope. I've read several negative comments about the Malcolm mounts compared to the micrometer mounts from the Unertl/Lyman/Feckler Golden Age of target/varment scopes.

Considering it's a 1890's reproduction scope, mounted on an 1880's vintage rifle, it's period correct. BTY~ Leatherwood is introducing a 6X version of the 16" short scope this year. My Poor Man's Schuetzen :mrgreen:

They have an engraved Remington Rolling Block that was truely awsome... left a wet smudge on the glass for the custodian :twisted:

Craig