PDA

View Full Version : Grinder Pedestal and Dillon XL-650

monadnock#5
01-04-2014, 10:19 PM
I read in a thread some time ago the suggestion to use a grinder pedestal as a press mount.
I would like to know if anyone here has employed a pedestal mount for use with a Dillon XL-650.
I have the press, and figured it would be a lot easier to set it up so that I can walk around it to see what's going on. Especially during the learning curve stage.
Thank you for your consideration!

Jailer
01-04-2014, 11:23 PM
Seems to me it would be a bit top heavy and unstable. Of course that all depends on what you have for a grinder stand and how large the base is.

gunoil
01-05-2014, 12:22 AM
If ya want it solid put plate on front. You can figure it out/few holes/hardware.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps72e7194a.jpg

The cargo spreader (going to floor) from wal mart does not get in the way. For those who have loadmaster get the shake brake kit from mikesreloadingbench.com Great price w/hardware.

Shiloh
01-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Seems to me it would be a bit top heavy and unstable. Of course that all depends on what you have for a grinder stand and how large the base is.

Weld or bolt a larger base in it. Or bolt it down. You want things solid.

Shiloh

Guardian
01-05-2014, 12:36 AM
All the grinder pedestals I've seen were bolted to the concrete. I don't think it would be unstable if properly installed.

My concern would be that the pedestal would be too short, not allowing full stroke of the handle without bending over or dropping the shoulder. It would likely be too tall for sitting. A steel top plate large enough to accommodate a strong mount might get it up to a good height.

Have someone measure how far the palm of your hand is from the floor when standing naturally. Then measure how far below the bottom of the 650 base plate the top of the handle is when fully down. Add the two measurements and you should be really close to optimal height. I find adding another inch usually suits me.

I think the height is much more critical on a progressive because of the need to maintain a rhythm during the process. Take your time to get the setup right.

monadnock#5
01-05-2014, 03:22 PM
OK, so I need to call the local fabricator to see what he's got for "remnant" diamond plate. An extra brace in the front between the pedestal top and the base. A strong mount to prevent a debilitating and long term back ache.

Thank you gents! The chrysallis is forming.

VHoward
01-05-2014, 04:18 PM
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25695/catid/3/Dillon_BFR_Mounting_Post
Dillon sells a mounting post for the BFR, but you could use it for the XL650.

bangerjim
01-05-2014, 05:25 PM
My 3 grinder peds are industrial and heavy, but are designed for a GRINDER....not a lot of side/down force you will exert with a press. They would wobble and be unwieldy.

Bolt it to the floor if you can and you will be good to go!

banger

W.R.Buchanan
01-05-2014, 07:23 PM
A normal grinder pedestal like you can buy a HF is not going to work very well for you. The main problem is that unless it is bolted down the three leg configuration is going to be tippy.

Franklin Arsenal makes a pedestal stand specifically for a reloading press, but the base is a circular piece like a disc from a disc harrow. When sitting on a level floor the thing contacts all the way around the discs perimeter. This type of base doesn't tip,,,Period!

I made one for one of my grinders a long time ago out of a disc from a harrow and it is difficult to move around,,, Which is kind of what you're going for.

IF you are looking for this type of pedestal then go to Midway USA and look there. It is already done and it is a lot cheaper than you can make it.

Look here. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155024/frankford-arsenal-portable-reloading-stand

Randy

monadnock#5
01-07-2014, 10:24 AM
I think I would prefer to stand using this type of press. OTOH, the lower center of gravity does make a lot more sense.
You've all been very helpful and I thank you for your expertise.

fguffey
01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
I do not have a reloading bench, I have pedestals, one has 4 presses mounted on it, another has two, one is a RCBS Rock Chucker, the other is a Dillon 550.

If I decided to make a stand I would use a wheel and axle, the larger the diameter of the wheel the more stable. If a side gear was available from the differential a table for mounting could be welded to it for a changeable top, or the table could be welded to the axle with supports.

I went to the city dump, I got lucky, I treaded my junk for their junk, they had a pedestal stand with a flange on top, perfect for adding a a small work surface for mounting a press.

Then there was that time in Omaha, a truck was hauling iron and metal to be sold for scrap, long story, anyhow I made him a deal but it was up to me to get the cast iron base separated from the rest of the metal. The table was the base for a lathe made around 1880, it was one of those old machines that was run off a line shaft. Whole I was digging, he went to a restaurant, while there he found this lady panicky liking for her husband. He asked her to describe her missing husband, sure enough, he was able to put it together. He explained he made a deal with me on the case iron base, he then asked her how I planned to get it off his trailer, she responded with something that sounded like “If it is junk and he wants it bad enough he will not need any help”.

I walked into the restaurant, you could have heard a pin drop, I started with “Hunn, you are not going to believe this....”, no one could keep a straight face. I did not interrupt her, handling case iron works up an appetite.

F. Guffey

fguffey
01-07-2014, 01:32 PM
tippy legs, most pedestal bases have round bases that are stamped with a 'convexed' top.

F. Guffey

MtGun44
01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Better bolt it down! Personally, I sit in a normal chair, height would be wrong.

Bill

fguffey
01-07-2014, 08:09 PM
Better bolt it down! Personally, I sit in a normal chair, height would be wrong.

Bill

I have three stands, I use folding type chairs, there are times I bring one of the stands in and set it up next to the Kitchen table, when I load at the kitchen table I use a ladder back chair. Bolting the stand down works, putting my feet on the base also works. Bolting the stand to the floor changes the description from portable to permanent.

F. Guffey

monadnock#5
01-09-2014, 10:34 PM
I've been looking at the Frankford Arsenal stand and checking out the reviews. I'm not willing to take a chance on it for this particular application. I'm going to custom make something using the suggestions made here. Sit down height.

Hey Mr. Guffey, if you have some pics I'd like to see them.

country gent
01-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Disc cholers work good for a base but are hard on flooring. We have made several stands using old ones from the disc for the farm. The edge is somewhat sharp on them and bear the wieght. A heavy base helps to lower center of gravity and make more stable. A rubber pad on the bottom will help to keep it from sliding. Both of these also make it harder to move. Think thru what you want actually make a list then draw it up on paper. A card board model can be made to see if there are questions. Cheaper than steel welding and materials.

David2011
01-10-2014, 01:10 AM
I measured the height of a press on a strong mount and just built my entire bench at that height thus saving the cost of 3 strong mounts. The presses on that bench are a SqDealB/550/650. The bench top is 42" high and I can put good pressure at the bottom of the stroke without bending at the waist on all 2 presses. I can't say that's the perfect height for someone else but it's a close starting point even for a pedastal mount.

Good luck!
David

fguffey
01-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I've been looking at the Frankford Arsenal stand and checking out the reviews. I'm not willing to take a chance on it for this particular application. I'm going to custom make something using the suggestions made here. Sit down height.

Hey Mr. Guffey, if you have some pics I'd like to see them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155024/frankford-arsenal-portable-reloading-stand

My opinion, the material listed is plastic, my two stands have stamped steel bases with post that are at least 6" in diameter.

F. Guffey

truckerdave397
01-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Use a semi truck brake drum for the base of your pedestal. They are about 100 pounds. I do not use them under my reloader but they are very stable under a 10 inch grinder.