PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me program an Auber SYL-1512A PID?

igolfat8
01-04-2014, 09:38 PM
I have wired up my Auber SYL-1512A and a RS1A40D25 25 Amp SSR w/ heat sink and a Type K thermocouple. It lights up and displays the ambient temperature. I have not tried it with a pot yet because I am stumped on how to program all of the modes.

I have downloaded the instruction manual here - http://auberins.com/images/Manual/SYL-1512A2instruction%201.0.pdf

When I get to Page 2, section 4. Parameter Setting I have no clue what to do next. Table 1. lists all of the system configuration parameters but I am not sure where they should be set? I can toggle my way through the codes but don't know what to set them at.

I wired the unit up following the schematic on page 4, figure 12. I hope that is the correct one? I will be controlling a 120 VAC Lee Pro 4-20 pot. Can someone lend a hand to an idiot?

el34
01-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Interestingly it doesn't appear they show a hookup using a thermocouple and an SSR.

A type K thermocouple will hook up like fig 11 and 13, terminals 6 and 7, pay attention to polarity.

The SSR and AC circuit will hook up like in fig 12 'red' AC lines and PID terminals 9 and 10 to the SSR control terminals, pay attention to polarity.

Looks to me like all the Table 1 parameter settings are defaulted ("Initial Setting") to what you need-

Input Sensor Type = K type thermocouple
Control Output Mode = option 2 - Relay J1 as alarm output; SSR PID control output (in Note 2)
Hysteresis Band = 3, means it'll go 1.5deg hotter than setpoint, turn off, and not turn back on until 1.5deg below setpoint. Or maybe it turns off at setpoint and turns back on when 3deg too cold, dunno where the band is centered. This prevents it from continually cycling on/off.
Autotune Offset - I'd just trust this one for now.
Input Offset = 0, this is where you can program a correction factor if your tc is inaccurate. Leave this one alone unless you use a trusted thermometer and discover an error in pot temp.
Control Function = 0, yep, you're controlling a heater, not a refrigeration system.
Display Unit = 1, it'll read out in F. Change to 0 if you prefer Celcius.

Looks to me like you're good to go once the wiring is right. Good luck! Post an update when you have one!

Jailer
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Yup the default settings is what you need. The only thing you will want to do is set the auto tune (At) to 2 and let it do it's thing.

Frozone
01-05-2014, 01:21 AM
FYI
"Autotune Offset - I'd just trust this one for now."

You can set the autotune to a few degrees cooler than you have the operating temp.
Auto tune mode works by heating the controlled device above the set point and seeing how quick it cools.
Example: set point @ 700º in training the unit will heat to (~)710º turn off and record the over shoot ( to say 725º).
Then it will record how long it took to cool to 690º. after a repeat or to it has calculated the PID values.

However, Certain things don't want to be any hotter than the normal control point ( say you're boiling off alcohol and don't want a 20º over temp )
so with this parameter you can prevent any overheating while training.

You can safely ignore it for our purposes.

el34
01-05-2014, 12:59 PM
FYI
"Autotune Offset - I'd just trust this one for now."

You can safely ignore it for our purposes.

I agree with that. Autotune tuning and PID parameter tweaking is an advanced level.