PDA

View Full Version : What's a S&W 14-2 worth in good condition but no box or papers?

Fire_Medic
01-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Hello all,

Have happened across a S&W 14-2 locally, and the gentleman is asking $600. From looking at the pictures it looks pristine, but I want one as a shooter. Is his asking price on par? He says it's a 14-2 "Target Masterpiece" with a 6" barrel.

Just looking for some input, I know how much fun these can be and many folks speak to their accuracy. Has the diamond grips and all not sure if they're original but they're the ones I like.

Thanks
FM

Westwindmike
01-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a fair price these days. I just bought a 19-3 in the box with papers for $575 here in TN. I'd think the 14 would be a little more expensive.

marvelshooter
01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Somebody looking for a gun for NRA distinguished revolver matches would jump all over a 6" model 14 in pristine condition for $600.

Fire_Medic
01-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Here's a pic:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2014/01/04/2524493_01_smith_wesson_14_2_k_38_target__640.jpg

fecmech
01-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I bought my 14-3 in 1975 new for $135. so with inflation and the devaluing of the dollar $600. of today's dollars is almost exactly equal to $135 in 1975. See "what's it worth" http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/relativevalue.php

If you want it buy it, mine will never be sold.

Fire_Medic
01-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I bought my 14-3 in 1975 new for $135. so with inflation and the devaluing of the dollar $600. of today's dollars is almost exactly equal to $135 in 1975. See "what's it worth" http://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/relativevalue.php

If you want it buy it, mine will not be sold.

Thanks brother, kind of info I was looking for. Made him an offer a bit shy of his asking price waiting to see what he says.

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 10:57 PM
HMMM. I bought a few for $300, but they were not really that pretty and the PD had
electropenciled an inventory number on these sideplates. . . . sad to say! Doesn't hurt
the shooting, but . . . . . . .

Pretty pistol, and it will probably shoot very well.

Bill

Fire_Medic
01-04-2014, 11:01 PM
HMMM. I bought a few for $300, but they were not really that pretty and the PD had
electropenciled an inventory number on these sideplates. . . . sad to say! Doesn't hurt
the shooting, but . . . . . . .

Pretty pistol, and it will probably shoot very well.

Bill

Thanks MTGun44,

We have come to an agreement and will be meeting up tomorrow afternoon. Never thought I'd be so happy about getting a wheel gun. So the wheel gun sickness begins. :grin:

Now I need to research molds to cast for this puppy and what powder to use for loads with said bullet. My first endeavor into casting will be for this fine revolver. Gentleman says it was his grandfathers pistol but he's not into revolvers and wants money for a rifle, so we will see.

Can't wait to get it and shoot it. If time allows I will try and shoot it tomorrow. We are meeting at a range for the transaction.

FM

MtGun44
01-05-2014, 01:31 AM
Not much research required. . . . 148 gr wadcutter, soft alloy, sized .357,
over 2.8-3.0 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup. If you can find a box of Fed
wadcutter target ammo, bring it to the range if you want the real test.

End of experimentation.

Bill

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 01:44 AM
Not much research required. . . . 148 gr wadcutter, soft alloy, sized .357,
over 2.8-3.0 grains of Bullseye or Titegroup. If you can find a box of Fed
wadcutter target ammo, bring it to the range if you want the real test.

End of experimentation.

Bill

I was pleasantly surprised because last week I came across some TG locally at a price I could live with and bought 16 pounds of it. TG is new to me I just recently started loading 40SW with it for minor in IDPA, and I have been very pleased with it thus far. More economical round for round than the WSF I had been using before, less recoil, and just as accurate.

The debate for me will be to see how it works with lead, as on another forum I was told TG with lead in a Glock is a smoke machine so we will see……… the folks who said that also don't cast their own so who knows. I have a custom G35 upper on order and it will be coming with an aftermarket barrel that is lead safe, and you better believe I plan on testing it out.

This revolver for me is just something I have wanted for a while, the older I have gotten the more I have been drawn to guns of the past, and it's for pure range use for me, the wife has never shot a revolver, and I would like to use some light loads to teach my kids how to shoot. I really do enjoy shooting and reloading, and hopefully will enjoy casting as much, and want to get the family more involved with it. I also like the revolver idea to not have to chase brass around on the floor anymore. That has gotten old as time has gone by.

Thanks for your input MT, let's see what tomorrow brings. I'm saying bye to a reloading press and hello to a nice model 14-2…..

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Ok fellas,

What should I be on the look for with the wheel gun today when I meet the seller? From what I read there might not be any warranty coverage on this revolver because of it's age?

Thanks
FM

dubber123
01-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Look for a huge barrel cylinder gap, check timing by lightly holding some finger pressure on the cylinder while cocking it to make sure it makes it to full lock. Look down the top strap/barrel rib to make sure the barrel is screwed on straight. On a 60's 14-2 I doubt you will find any of these issues, but... My 14-2 prefers the now discontinued BRP 150 gr. RF. More accurate than any wadcutter once ranges get to 50+ yds. Mine will shoot under 2" at 50 with iron sights. Enjoy yours!

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Look for a huge barrel cylinder gap, check timing by lightly holding some finger pressure on the cylinder while cocking it to make sure it makes it to full lock. Look down the top strap/barrel rib to make sure the barrel is screwed on straight. On a 60's 14-2 I doubt you will find any of these issues, but... My 14-2 prefers the now discontinued BRP 150 gr. RF. More accurate than any wadcutter once ranges get to 50+ yds. Mine will shoot under 2" at 50 with iron sights. Enjoy yours!

Thank you now I know what mold to try and find.

Can't wait, hopefully the range has a box of 38 special so I can "test" it out today :grin:

Petrol & Powder
01-05-2014, 11:11 AM
The model 14 is a 38 Special K-frame with adjustable sights. Most of them were sold/used as target guns with a majority having the 6" barrel. The LAPD used them and the shorter barreled Model 15. It's a solid K-frame and the lack of a .357 mag. cylinder is a good thing.
The examination of a revolver involves looking at the gun overall for defects, blemishes, rust, etc. Look at the screws, they should have clean slots that haven't been marred up by a poor fitting screw driver. Buggered up screw heads is a sure sign some idiot has tinkered with it. The sideplate should fit perfectly with a clean, almost imperceptible line at all edges. The cylinder should open without binding and when shut, the gap between the crane and the frame should be even and very narrow. The ejector rod should be straight and not bind when operated. With the cylinder open, rotate the cylinder and watch the ejector rod, any bends will show up as lateral movement as you turn the cylinder.
Look at the forcing cone at the breach end of the barrel. The 38 Special K-frames rarely have problems but you should look anyway. A cracked frame or forcing cone is a No-Go for purchase.
With the gun empty, close the cylinder and slowly cycle the trigger in double action. The cylinder should lock before the hammer falls. This test ideally should be performed with empty cases or snap caps in the charge holes.
If you cycle the action too fast, the inertia of the rotating cylinder will allow the cylinder to lock before the hammer falls even if the gun is slightly out of time (slow timing)
Using your thumb, bring the hammer to full cock and then with your finger off the trigger, apply pressure to the hammer and see if it will "push off". Don't apply a huge amount of force. You're not trying to break the gun you just want to test the single action sear. The hammer should not push off. If it does, some self appointed gunsmith probably filed on the sear.
Check the strain screw at the bottom of the front strap if it's visible. It should be tight.
Look down the bore. the rifling should be clean and crisp. The bore should be bright with no dark spots or rust. If you have a bore light, look at the bore from both ends or if you don't have a bore light, use a light colored scrap of paper to reflect light into the bore.
The charge holes (S&W speak for chambers) should also be clean and rust free. If the seller will allow you to remove the grips, take them off and look for rust under the grips. Most sellers don't want people disassembling guns and I'm with them in that regard.
If you have a "range rod" (brass rod that closely fits the bore) you can check to see if the charge holes line up with the barrel by slipping the rod down the barrel and all the way through the cylinder. It should pass through without catching on the front face of the cylinder.
There are some other checks like cylinder gap and firing pin protrusion but they are generally not important when buying a revolver.
A Model 14 that has good bluing and a clean, bright bore will probably have been well cared for.
Good Luck !

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks P&P,

Will report back later time to get ready to go. Drop off press, pick up wheel gun, gun show to sell my 8# of Longshot, and then maybe a range trip :)

Will report back later.

Petrol & Powder
01-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Oh, And I'm with MtGun44 on that 148gr wadcutter thing. A good K-frame (particularly a 6" Model 14 :wink:) and big box-O-Wadcutters, makes for a good day.
Those things shoot like laser beams. :drinks:

FergusonTO35
01-05-2014, 02:57 PM
My S&W 10-5 is dead on with any 158 grain slug, especially the Lee 358-158-RF. I can imagine the 14 would do even better.

waco
01-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Sounds fair to me. I got my well used 14-2 for only a bit cheaper, box and papers included.

rintinglen
01-05-2014, 07:29 PM
400-600 is what I've seen them go for here out west. That picture looks like the top end to me. I can fully endorse MtnGun44" load recommendations, though if you have Red Dot, 2.8 grains is also nice "and will suffice."

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Well……..

I met with the guy, he was a younger man than myself in his early twenties, and just acquired Grandpa's Colt 1911 and the Model 14-2. Grandpa clearly took care of his revolver. Locks up tight, looks in great shape for such an old pistol and I got it for $575 and the drive out to meet him. Coincidentally, when I arrived with it at my buddy's house with whom I was going to the gun show and range with today, he had some 38 spcl ammo his dad gave him cuz dad sold his revolver. One box of 148gr DEWC loads from pops, and a box of 158gr as well. This thing is a tack driver, and I have NEVER felt a trigger so damn smooth in my limited experience with DA guns before, wow. To say I'm happy with my purchase is an understatement. I think the kids grandpa is smiling down on us happy that his model 14-2 found a good home. Kid brought it to meet me inside a sock, lol.

Now if I can only talk him out of Grandpa's Colt……..

On a side note my buddy scored a Ruger Mini 14 LE edition with folding stock and bayonet for $1K at the show. Retired officer had it there on consignment with a shop his buddy owns. The original cardboard box and all original accessories were with it, box matches serial number of the gun and doesn't have so much as a stain or scratch on the cardboard. I think he made out well.

Anyhow, my wheel gun addiction has began. I can't wait to start loading for this revolver.

Aslo, today was my first time shooting my Osprey 9MM suppressor on my G22 with a Lone Wolf 40-9 threaded conversion barrel. Man was that thing quiet and fun with some 147gr ammo. And the recoil, or lack thereof, wow….. I'm hooked there too.

I wasn't necessarily looking for a K38, but this deal seemed to good to pass up, and the pistol is in pristine condition and is a tack driver.

FM

Petrol & Powder
01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
Excellent ! Now go watch some old episodes of One Adam 12 :drinks:

DRNurse1
01-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Wow! I bought my 14-3 with the target hammer and trigger from a friend last year for $400. I guess I should send him some more $$$.

The longer story is he was moving out of state and needed cash more than this gun so he accepted $350, them I found one without the target hammer and trigger for $400 so I offered him more for it (I know, a deal is a deal but I can not live with me cheating a friend).

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Wow! I bought my 14-3 with the target hammer and trigger from a friend last year for $400. I guess I should send him some more $$$.

The longer story is he was moving out of state and needed cash more than this gun so he accepted $350, them I found one without the target hammer and trigger for $400 so I offered him more for it (I know, a deal is a deal but I can not live with me cheating a friend).

According to gun broker, arms list, and shops in my area what I paid is not the cheapest end of the spectrum but not the highest for the condition of the gun either. It was a number I could deal with so I went for it. I have seen many in much worse condition sell for the same or more around here. I wasn't looking for a safe queen, but I got better condition than I was expecting for what I paid with what I have seen around my parts.

I will be calling S&W Monday to see about any info they can provide me on the pistol. I appreciate everyone's input. :drinks:

Petrol & Powder
01-05-2014, 09:07 PM
You did well at that price for a mint 1960's vintage M-14 that shoots well. I wouldn't have any buyer's remorse with that gun.

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 09:11 PM
You did well at that price for a mint 1960's vintage M-14 that shoots well. I wouldn't have any buyer's remorse with that gun.

The only remorse I have right now is it will be a bit before I can load for it, lol……. I couldn't put the revolver down as my Glock and new suppressor were sitting there jealous of all the fun me and Mr. Smith were having, lol. Never thought I would see the day where a revolver from the 60's would have me ignoring a semi auto with a suppressor on it. And this was my first time shooting this suppressor, just recently got the paperwork in, lol.

Now to find a nice 4" GP 100 or 3" SP 101 that's gonna make a trip to a shop for some extras………

Was a fun day, and a weird feeling (in a good way) enjoying a pistol that is at minimum 12 years older than I myself am :Fire:

Petrol & Powder
01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
The only remorse I have right now is it will be a bit before I can load for it, lol……. I couldn't put the revolver down as my Glock and new suppressor were sitting there jealous of all the fun me and Mr. Smith were having, lol. Never thought I would see the day where a revolver from 1960 would have me ignoring a semi auto with a suppressor on it. And this was my first time shooting this suppressor, just recently got the paperwork in, lol.

Now to find a nice 4" GP 100 or 3" SP 101 that's gonna make a trip to a shop for some extras………

Was a fun day, and a weird feeling (in a good way) enjoying a pistol that is at minimum 12 years older than I myself am :Fire:

And thus the revolver addiction starts......

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 09:36 PM
And thus the revolver addiction starts......

Funny thing is,

Back in 2008 (yes I got into guns late, family wasn't anti gun, but didn't go shoot much either, the males had a revolver in the closet with a box of ammo and that was it) when I took my CCW class and shot for the first time, I shot a Colt 1911, Ruger 44 magnum 8" barrel, K38 S&W, and a G19, and I was most accurate, even doing drills on the clock with reloads, with the 38spcl S&W, so I guess in a way today an old friend and I were reunited.

Damn you old timers and your evil influences…….. :guntootsmiley:

fecmech
01-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Damn you old timers and your evil influences……..

Glad to see you're happy with your purchase. Like I said mines from 1975 and been shot a bunch in PPC well over 50K rds. Sent it back to S&W they turned the barrel in one turn, recut the forcing cone and did a general tune up about 1990 for the princely sum of $42. I evidently got someone at S&W who knew his stuff because it came back more accurate than before and it is my favorite gun. I was 32 when I bought it, I'm 70 now and that gun is still going strong and it there isn't a week goes by that it doesn't get shot. It will outlast me. Enjoy yours.

Fire_Medic
01-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Glad to see you're happy with your purchase. Like I said mines from 1975 and been shot a bunch in PPC well over 50K rds. Sent it back to S&W they turned the barrel in one turn, recut the forcing cone and did a general tune up about 1990 for the princely sum of $42. I evidently got someone at S&W who knew his stuff because it came back more accurate than before and it is my favorite gun. I was 32 when I bought it, I'm 70 now and that gun is still going strong and it there isn't a week goes by that it doesn't get shot. It will outlast me. Enjoy yours.

Well I'm 33 and just bought mine, hopefully I have the same life with mine as you have had with yours. I was having fun today at the range punching a ragged hole wherever I wanted at will lol. And like I previously mentioned the trigger is sooooo smooth, even in DA form. I am very pleased and it was nice not chasing the brass on the floor.

GabbyM
01-06-2014, 11:24 AM
You didn't fine on that M14. I paid $575 for a M15 a couple years ago. Mint condition made in around 1951, Serial numbers on the inside of grips didn't match the frame so collector value was down or I'd of paid more. Gave it to my daughter. My M15 is an old beater service revolver I paid almost $400 with charges. I've not been able to find a M14 in good shape. Every time I asked a gun shop abut one they always say, " had one in here just last week." Think I'll start to just not believe that story anymore.
I just found 38 Specials a few years ago at age 55. So sad I missed out all those years.

You'll shoot the M14 and carry the Glock.