PDA

View Full Version : my latest score

sandman228
01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
first off its been a while since ive bought any wheel weights from anywhere other than the little gas station up the road where I get my gas every week and he just gives me whatever he has a couple times a year . a couple years ago I went on a wheel weight buying and casting spree, I ended up with over 30k bullets of various calibers and about 350/400 lb of wheel weight ingots on hand so there wasn't a need to buy .so recently I went to a tire shop I used to buy from on a regular basis asked if he had anything he pointed to a bucket full and said 35$ back your pickup in and we'll load them up so I grabbed them . then on the way home I stopped for gas and ended up getting another half bucket full . so I decided to weigh them when I got home the 35$ bucket was 110 lb and the others were about 70 lb so minus bucket weights I was figuring 175 lb roughly for 35$ great deal !!! so I just got done melting them all down into ingots (I separate as im melting) this time I decided to save the unusable weights (steel and zinc) into there own bucket I was just curious as to how many there would be. and ive also been curious as to how close my ingots are to what there supposed to be I use 2 lee ingot molds there should be 2 one pounders and 2 half pounders per mold per pour . I counted them all up after I was completely finished there were 140 lb worth of ingots there suposadly . well heres what I found out I weighed everything when I was done I got 120 lb of ingots 3 lb of soft lead ingots from soww's 25 lb of unusable wheel weights zinc and steel . so this means 27 lb of clips and junk ?? does that seem right ? now to say this I used an old bathroom scale that im sure isn't 100% accurate but im thinking its not real far off either .funny thing after I was all done with this my daughter informs me that she has a nice digital scale in her bedroom that's 100% accurate (thanks for telling me now).another thing I wanted to try , I used to just throw the unusable weights in the bucket with the old clips and give it all to a scrapper guy up the street. but I decided to separate them this time and try a trade off theres been shops ive stopped at here and there trying to buy used wheel weights and they tell me they reuse them and don't wanna sell so im thinking if I have a bucket of unusable weights for me to offer to give them in return maybe they'll sell me what they have its worth a try I guess .

Sparky141
01-04-2014, 04:46 PM
Sounds like you did all right . Look for a Scrap Buyer that will trade you zinc/steel ww to . I have one here locally that will trade me lb for lb for lead ones . i sort the new ones at his place so only lead ones come home