PDA

View Full Version : Lee Cruise Missile

Echd
01-04-2014, 02:49 PM
I would very much like to purchase one of these molds, but Midsouth is out of stock. Does anybody know how often they have runs of these?

Alternatively, are there any other good molds one might recommend for the 6.5 Swede (I know I'm opening a can of worms asking that!)? I recently purchased a beautiful CG63, and it has a very long throat and a slightly slower twist than most Swedes (1:220MM instead of 1:200). Hoping it'll be a real honey with CBs- it's like a laser with the 140s I've been shooting from it.

I also am looking at the Lyman 266673, but I really like the looks of the Lee cruise missile, as well as the price, and I think a CG63 can best take advantage of long pills.

http://i.imgur.com/aQcDaRr.jpg

Larry Gibson
01-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Have you read http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?225398-My-test-of-the-6-5-Cruise-Missile ? I strongly recommend against the oversize cast CM.

Unless you can find a CM mould that casts at the correct dimensions I suggest, depending on the length of the throat in your CG63, The 266455, any one of the GB 6.5 Kurtz bullets, the BRP 2668469 or Lyman 266469, the NOE 269-145-FP or the mentioned 266673.

Larry Gibson

Beautiful rifle BTW:-D

geargnasher
01-04-2014, 03:29 PM
The Midsouth CM is indeed junk, and I have modified it in more ways and fired it in more guns than Larry has, so between the two of us you can take that statement to the bank. Don't waste your money.

Mihec is supposedly running a group buy of the correct CM design, but who knows when or if it will come to fruition or if it will be "correct".

In the meantime, get either of the Lyman moulds, lap them out to cast about .268" if necessary, and be happy.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Echd,
Lee is just starting to catch up with their custom stuff since this Obama craziness started Dec 2012. The midsouth Bator molds showed up last month and we should see the Midsouth cruise missile appear in stock any day. I bow down to the cruise missile experts (Larry and Gear)-as I am surely not an expert on these, BUT...
they or others, haven't answered my question I posed in another thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?223186-Lee-Special-Order-6-5-Swede-170-gr

It'll be interesting to see exactly what Lee does with the cruise missile with their new style blocks and their new CNC machining.
The Bator was plagued with an oversized nose (.225) on older Lee/midsouth molds, but it has been reported that the new ones are .220 and that is what the specs print says.

What if Lee's cuts the cruise missile correctly ?

Yeah, I am an optimist !

Dutchman
01-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Are you sure what you have is a CG63? The bolt is a standard m/96 bolt. Have you pulled the handguard and verified the barrel is a CG63 barrel? We have seen standard m/96 barreled actions, minus the rear sight base, fit into CG63 stocks. That doesn't make it a CG63. Does the action have the standard CG63 rune on the left side of the receiver?

This is a CG63 bolt. See the difference?

http://images9.fotki.com/v1393/photos/2/28344/157842/yr16-vi.jpg

Dutch

geargnasher
01-04-2014, 11:28 PM
JonB, the answer to the question you ask can no longer be posted or discussed on this forum. Read the Milk Jug sticky, the answer is there, near the end, although the photos are now gone.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2014, 11:39 PM
There's only one answer I will accept anyway:not listening:

Echd
01-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Are you sure what you have is a CG63? The bolt is a standard m/96 bolt. Have you pulled the handguard and verified the barrel is a CG63 barrel? We have seen standard m/96 barreled actions, minus the rear sight base, fit into CG63 stocks. That doesn't make it a CG63. Does the action have the standard CG63 rune on the left side of the receiver?

This is a CG63 bolt. See the difference?

http://images9.fotki.com/v1393/photos/2/28344/157842/yr16-vi.jpg

Dutch

Not knowing a tremendous lot about CG63s but doing what reading I can on them, the only abnormalities I can detect on this one is the lack of a rune and the slightly different bolt. Although I have read in several places that bolts may differ quite widely in how they are turned down, if at all.

This rifle was purchased from a friend who in turn received it from Sarco previously. The barrel ( no taper, heavy) is indeed the heavier cg63 barrel and the metalworking touches on it such as the design of the checkering on the safety and trigger guard are the same as most other cg63s I have seen.

The trigger is not the tunable type but is a 2 stage that is much
lighter than any military trigger would be. It is a husqvarna 1943 as the base. There is no huge amount of info out there, but I also gather that is unusual but not unheard of.

The sights are soderins, and the front accepts anschutz inserts.

I have had it about 2 months and just recently had a chance to shoot it. If it is a fake, the person who did it could put real gunmakers out of business. I am aware there is quite a bit of muddy history around cgs, and this one is a little different from some, but not radically so compared to some of the others I have seen. I saw one once with a bent bolt and threaded bolt handle!

Perhaps the bolt is mismatched? A lot of 63s were in civilian hands for a long time so I could buy it having found a standard older bolt or something at some point in time. Shortened cocking pieces and firing pins are available, though, so it would be an easy fix.

Dutchman
01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Ok sounds like you're good to go.

Forget about the CM. Go with 266469 or 266673.

Dutch

The Granville sling patent is a FSR target sling. You can make your own pretty easy from the image. Its very close to the m/41b sniper sling.

http://images12.fotki.com/v335/photos/2/28344/6456804/photo-vi.jpg

Echd
01-06-2014, 12:31 AM
I will be placing an order for a 266673 soon. I will shoot through a few hundred 140 HPs I have before I get around to using it, though, I think.