PDA

View Full Version : different kind of model 36

RU shooter
12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
Not a casting question but I am currently considering trading for a S&W model 36 I have never seen before and need a ballpark "whats it worth " guestimation on it if its not too much trouble its a blued Mdl. 36 with 3" pinned barrel and a square butt instead of typ. round butt I think he told me its a 36-1 model,gun looks basicly new just the typ. ring around the cylinder mark . Also comes with box and original paperwork. So would these fetures command a big premium over a typical Mdl. 36 ? Whats a fair value? Thanks , Tim

Scrounger
12-01-2007, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't feel bad paying $250 for it.

dubber123
12-01-2007, 12:49 AM
I have a mint one, I paid 250$ for it. It was probably 8 years ago, and prices have gone up a bit. Mine shoots very well, a bunch easier to hit with than a 1-7/8" Mod. 36.

eka
12-01-2007, 11:54 AM
98% w/ box and papers is $300.00

Keith

9.3X62AL
12-01-2007, 01:03 PM
In the 1970's and 1980's, most 3" or 4" J-frames of any caliber--22 LR, 32 Long, 38 S&W, 38 Special--got square-butt frames. The 2" barrelled variants usually got round-butt frames. 3" barrel lengths did not sell well--buyers wanted 2" for concealment or 4" for "Kit Gun" venues--the 3" was neither fish nor fowl. Whether this translates to greater "collector value" at a later time due to relative scarcity--who knows. Quite often, the term "collector value" translates to the faux mystique a seller can weave in the mind of a buyer. Think "E-Bay Mould Pricing" in that context.

In actual usage, the 3" barrel/square-butt frame arrangement can be easier to hit with than the 2" barrel/round-butt frame can be. I had a Model 31 in 3"/square-butt for a time, and I could get Pachmary Presentation grips for it, as well as the far more common Compacs. With the larger Presentation grips, I could actually hit things with the M-31, a thing I cannot do well with a Chief Special. These same grips allowed me to hit things with fair frequency using a Model 34 Kit Gun x 4" that came along later. J-frame revolvers are conspicuous by their absence in my gun safe--I can't hit well with the diminutive rollers, they and I do not get along. Same deal with a Colt Pocket Positive I have in 32 S&W Long x 6", hell for style with its original nickel finish, but in my hands it is comprehensively handicapped. It takes a Colt D-frame platform or larger for me to hit things well, it seems--and aftermarket grips are a good idea, too.

Dale53
12-01-2007, 02:01 PM
I have a Model 60 (?) Chief Special "Target" with 3" barrel and adjustable sights. I can do amazingly well with it at 50 feet and 25 yards. 95's or better at 25 yards on the timed fire target shooting, standing slowfire. This makes a VERY nice "Trail Gun" using HBWC's (or solid base WC's) with 2.7-3.0 grs of Bullseye or equivalent.

Dale53