PDA

View Full Version : Is this leading???

Doc_Stihl
01-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Picked up a toy from a friend. Going to clean it up and shoot it some to see if it needs to stay with me.
Pulled the barrel weight/compensator off of it and I think I may have a contender for the worst leading in a comp EVER.

There was carbon the whole length of the barrel. There's lead plated on a quarter inch thick on the muzzle.

I've never seen anything like it. I'm going to soak it in kroil and then toss it in the ultrasonic to see if I can get a start on it.

dilly
01-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Wow. Your friend ought to be careful as that much leading might cause some nasty pressure problems. Good thing you got to him.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-04-2014, 12:14 PM
I have a leading story, early 1980's I purchased a new in the box Ruger Security-Six stainless 4" to carried it on duty as a uniformed peace officer. I took it to the qualification my law enforcement agency was holding as quarterly qualification and fired the modified PPC course twice, 50 rounds each course and we shot the course two times. My brand new gun seized up on my and I couldn't pull the trigger. I left the range and went to a local gunsmith. He called me back and said he fixed the problem. My new gun was just leaded up. He said he'd never seen anything like it before. I couldn't even pull the trigger when I dropped it off at the gunsmith, he said all he did was clean it and he showed me a chamber reamer he used. Within less than 100 rounds that ammo had seized up a Ruger revolver. The loads were .38 wadcutters.

Forrest r
01-04-2014, 05:18 PM
What you're seeing is typical for lead bullets in compensated barrels. Had a couple revolvers with fixed comps on them & got rid of them for that reason.

Yours hasn't been cleaned in awhile, the longer it's left the quicker it builds up, snowball effect. After it's clean keep it oiled, it helps & clean it after every outing so it functions properly. The comp on my marvel conversion kit for the 1911 fouls quickly, a couple hundred rounds & it starts to build up.

Magna-porting & comps are ok but I perfer muzzle breaks when I can use them. Any bbl that can use a silencer can be fitted with a muzzle break.

The boys fitted with muzzle breaks.

bhn22
01-04-2014, 06:06 PM
I once bought a used 686, and took it home to inspect my prize. The first thing I noticed was that match range rod wouldn't fit in the barrel. I inspected the barrel, and it looked really good, bright and clean with strong rifling. However it did appear to have a tight barrel. Not really expecting to gent anything out of it, I put my Outers "Foul Out" on it and it did indicate there was lead in the barrel. I checked it in an hour because the Foul Out indicated that the rod was grounded to the barrel. Of course the bore was packed with loose lead that had been removed from the barrel. I dumped everything out, ran a patch through it, and hooked it back up. In another hour I had to do the same thing, but in the hour after that the Foul Out signaled that it was done. So I patched the bore again, and filled it up one more time, this time with copper remover. That took several changes too, I even ran it overnight. Finally the Foul Out showed clean again, so I dumped the solution, patched the bore, then cleaned everything with Eds Red. Finally it was clean! And it only took two days with an electro-chemical bore cleaner. I've never had the Foul Out take so long to clean lead out since. It'll usually work in under an hour.

John Allen
01-04-2014, 06:13 PM
ok, now I have to go and look at the muzzle brake on my Smith 629.

Forrest r
01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
I once bought a used 686, and took it home to inspect my prize. The first thing I noticed was that match range rod wouldn't fit in the barrel. I inspected the barrel, and it looked really good, bright and clean with strong rifling. However it did appear to have a tight barrel. Not really expecting to gent anything out of it, I put my Outers "Foul Out" on it and it did indicate there was lead in the barrel. I checked it in an hour because the Foul Out indicated that the rod was grounded to the barrel. Of course the bore was packed with loose lead that had been removed from the barrel. I dumped everything out, ran a patch through it, and hooked it back up. In another hour I had to do the same thing, but in the hour after that the Foul Out signaled that it was done. So I patched the bore again, and filled it up one more time, this time with copper remover. That took several changes too, I even ran it overnight. Finally the Foul Out showed clean again, so I dumped the solution, patched the bore, then cleaned everything with Eds Red. Finally it was clean! And it only took two days with an electro-chemical bore cleaner. I've never had the Foul Out take so long to clean lead out since. It'll usually work in under an hour.

WOW!!!

I did the same thing with what was supposed to be a match grade bull bbl for a 22lr. Took 3 days to get all the junk out. When it finely came clean I lapped it putting a choke in the end of the bbl, now it shoots lights out and no more leading. I had no idea a bbl could hold that much lead1?

Doc_Stihl
01-05-2014, 07:19 AM
I finished cleaning it last night. Surprisingly the barrel was fairly clean. Took 2 hours to get the comp clean. Much more carbon fouling than leading.
When I shot pins I had several guns with comps and would clean them often and never had any build up. The comp in this revolver looked like the bullets were contacting the fouling near the muzzle. Was a quarter inch thick at the bottom.

zomby woof
01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
It happens with comps. My friends Ruger MKI 22 has an original Ruger open Comp/brake. It has the lead build up just like that.

Forrest r
01-05-2014, 01:17 PM
When you see that much buildup & the bullets starts to hit that buildup on 1 side, it makes ya wonder just how affective the crown is on some of these pistols.

Doc_Stihl
01-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Well the good news is, after cleaning, the pistol shoots well. I need to strip it down now and deep clean it. I don't think it had been shot for about 8 years.

bob208
01-06-2014, 08:39 AM
it is the compensator. back when I shot bull's-eye. I used a ruger mk.1 with the ruger muzzle-break on it and lead would build up inside it. that mite be why ruger only made the muzzle-break 4 years.