PDA

View Full Version : Ruger factory .44 Spl question

Piedmont
01-04-2014, 02:53 AM
I saw a revolver in a gun shop a while back that was a Ruger .44 spl single action, blued, 4 & 5/8". It was a new production gun. It was NOT a flattop. The rear sight was a normal adjustable one with the slightly elevated shoulders to protect it when elevating the rear sight. What exactly was this and does it have an aluminum grip frame or steel? Is the grip frame an xr3 or an xr3-red? It had the black plastic grips that are factory standard now.

I went on Ruger's website the other night and they list a couple of Blackhawks in .44 spl but when you click on them you get a picture of a flat top and I think the weights listed are for an all steel gun.

If I can handle the revolver, all my questions will be answered, but I did not handle it and am very curious.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Can you go back into the gunshop and ask to see it, then touch a magnet to the backstrap?

detox
01-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Is this it?
"This is a great shooting and good looking 44 Special revolver. It is in the style of the Flattop Blackhawk in that it doesn't have the protective ears on the side of the rear sight. This gives it a cleaner smoother look. The overall size is that of the old model Blackhawk, smaller than the current new model Blackhawk. This is just the ticket if one is looking for a slightly small revolver than the Super Blackhawk and since one will be shooting 44 Specials, the smaller size should be fine for most people."

Limited production run of 44 special. According to Ruger's website this gun has alloy steel grip frame. Other standard Blackhawks have aluminum grip frame for some odd reason.
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/models.html
http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/specSheets/5232.html

Fernando
01-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Sounds like a new breed if indeed was a special.
Or a mistake gold mine??
Was it new or used?
If used someone could've switched grip frames.

Piedmont
01-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Guys, It is new production and is not a flattop, as I said in the original post. If I can handle it I don't need a magnet. I am familiar enough with them to tell steel from aluminum just by looking and an xr3 from an xr3 red just by looking. It looked just like a regular 4 & 5/8" Blackhawk but it was on a shelf, and not a top shelf, the place was crowded, and I wasn't able to handle it. The Ruger website doesn't help because of what I said in the original post.

I thought someone must own one of these and know exactly what it is.

bhn22
01-04-2014, 04:48 PM
I've seen them with a 5-1/2 in bbl, but not a 4-5/8.

Fernando
01-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Time to go back and check it out - the super with 4 5/8 has a steel grip frame.
Possibly a super with special cylinder fitted - but the bbl would have to be set back into the cylinder window.
Or a mag cylinder short chambered.
Are you sure it was stamped .44 Special??
Or a smith done .357 conversion this could have alloy or steel grip frame.
Something is a miss

Piedmont
01-04-2014, 07:15 PM
The tag was .44 Spl. but I didn't handle it so I don't know how it was stamped. Was not a conversion.

Ickisrulz
01-05-2014, 10:00 AM
The tag was .44 Spl. but I didn't handle it so I don't know how it was stamped. Was not a conversion.

Maybe it was tagged wrong.