PDA

View Full Version : Did Lyman market any TC BP molds?

bhn22
01-04-2014, 12:29 AM
I have a 50 cal plains bullet mold that I bought long ago as a Lyman but I never cast with it. Anyway, I looked at it today, practically for the first time, and realized that its made of aluminum, and that Lyman didn't make it. However it did come in a Lyman box, that the label has now disappeared from. It sure looks like a TC anyway.

CastingFool
01-04-2014, 12:42 AM
can you post a picture?

bhn22
01-04-2014, 10:56 AM

Maven
01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
You know, this is something I've wondered about for years. I think Thompson Center marketed molds under their (TC's) brand name, but had them produced by others: Green Mt., Lyman, Ohaus, and maybe Shiloh. The only distinguishing feature is the shape of the sprue cutter such that the Green Mt. and Ohaus ones look exactly like the TC's (long, "squared" end) with the Lyman's being shorter with a round end. Shiloh, OTOH, I can't say. Btw, I sold a Green Mt. .50cal. RB mold (iron) and an Ohaus .440" (iron) RB mold last year. Both looked exactly like the TC "product."

Kylongrifle
01-04-2014, 11:06 AM
That's a nice mold, it looks like a maxi hunter? or maybe its just the way Im looking at it?

bhn22
01-04-2014, 12:22 PM
It looks a lot like the Hornady Plains bullet to me, but I've never cast with it, so I'm not certain. It could very well be a Maxi Hunter. I just sold my last muzzleloader, and am trying to identify it so it can be sold off at the next gun show. I suppose I best cast a few samples, since it's not a virgin. Any idea on what TC molds sell for? I've had a couple of TC molds in the past, and they said "TC" on them somewhere. This ones a bit puzzling.

ETA: the two bottom bands runs about .495, and the top band is .510, so it is tapered. My two rather uninspired cold casts weight about 340 gr out of range scrap, so 350 gr out of pure lead is possible.

bhn22
01-04-2014, 02:24 PM
You know, this is something I've wondered about for years. I think Thompson Center marketed molds under their (TC's) brand name, but had them produced by others: Green Mt., Lyman, Ohaus, and maybe Shiloh. The only distinguishing feature is the shape of the sprue cutter such that the Green Mt. and Ohaus ones look exactly like the TC's (long, "squared" end) with the Lyman's being shorter with a round end. Shiloh, OTOH, I can't say. Btw, I sold a Green Mt. .50cal. RB mold (iron) and an Ohaus .440" (iron) RB mold last year. Both looked exactly like the TC "product."

And Herters too. The blocks closely resemble some Herters molds I've had in the past.

Kylongrifle
01-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Im not an expert but I have several T/C molds and one is marked .50cal just like that.Not all say "T/C" either.Im thinking its a .50 cal maxi hunter mold..I could be wrong though..If your going to sell it let me know. Id be interested for sure.

Fishman
01-05-2014, 02:51 PM
I would also be interested if you choose to sell here. Looks very interesting

mooman76
01-05-2014, 05:59 PM
I have several T/C moulds or at least that's what they appear to me. None are marked with a caliber and the only marking is a number that means nothing as to what the mould actually is. Also they have vent lines on one mould block but not the other half. I have heard they were made by several mould companies so maybe it depends on which company. I also have an oddball one that has two cavities, one on top and the other on the bottom. A RB & conical combo.

Blammer
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
I have that mould and it cast's a Maxi hunter, a very good boolit for the muzzleloader if you ask me. :)

both of my 50's like it. :)