PDA

View Full Version : So - What Polymer Semi-Auto?

Uncle R.
01-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Hi all:
Lately I've been developing a hankering for a double-stack "wonder 9" high capacity pistol. This is more than a little surprising to me - until recently I didn't care about them at all. Nines or hi-caps or polymer - none of it. I don't know what's come over me...
:roll:
Sadly - my long period of disinterest has left me woefully ignorant of the "modern" pistol designs. What I'd like to have is a medium size pistol, likely with a polymer frame. Something roughly the size and purpose of a Glock 19 - although a Glock 17 might not be too big. I want to use it as a range gun for fun and plinking and CCW practice. It won't be used for serious target competition but even so I'd like it to be reasonably accurate - badly inaccurate pistols are just frustrating. I also want it to be a "Wisconsin winter" carry gun which means I want to be able to hide it under a substantial jacket. I don't want it to disappear under a T-shirt - that would make it too small. I want a gun that's big enough for enjoyable range use.
<
I want it to hold a lot of ammo - 15 rounds minimum but more would be better. I want a decent barrel length - let's say 4 inches minimum - so that it delivers true 9mm ballistics. I will probably choose one that's striker fired - I don't want a double/single action hammer gun. I despise what Colonel Cooper called "crunchentickers" and I hate the major change in trigger feel after that first shot. (Yes - I could probably learn to get used to that changing trigger with LOTS of practice. I could probably learn to shoot accurately while riding a unicycle and whistling Dixie too - but why would I want to handicap myself like that?) A DAO hammer gun might be OK but those I've seen weren't as "shootable" as the striker fired guns.
<
A trip to a local gun shop and examination of his wares left me pretty impressed with the Ruger SR9. (That surprised me too - I'm used to P85s and P89s and they always made me blanch.) When the salesman suggested I look at a Ruger I almost shut him off right there. I'm glad I didn't - I really liked that SR9. I liked the feel, I liked the looks, I liked the slim grip housing, wonder of wonders I even liked the trigger. I like that it has adjustable sights. I like that safety because it locks the slide shut while you're re-holstering in tight leather. Having that safety there doesn't bother me at all since I dang near cut my teeth on 1911s and I'm always feeling for the safety with my thumb whenever I pick up an automatic anyway.
<
Finally - my questions! Any SR9 owners here? Are they accurate? Reliable? Tell me if you like 'em - or not - and why. Also - if there are other pistols that I should look at please make those suggestions - and again tell me WHY you like them.
<
Thanks for your advice:
Uncle R.

22Scadoo
01-04-2014, 03:30 AM
No experience with the Ruger but I just recently purchased a Smith M&P9. Very happy with it, and it fits the criteria you laid out. Definitely give it a look. It was on sale at a local shop for $399. It fits my hand great, easy take down for cleaning, really nice trigger, and is more accurate than I am. I have only shot one magazine full through it, but fist size group at 20 ft off hand.

freebullet
01-04-2014, 06:06 AM
My choice would be an xd9(16rnds) or xdm9(19rnds). The m&p9 is a good gun, but the trigger is a little different and the accuracy is better on the xd in my hand. Glocks are good too but the grip angle didn't agree with me as well as the xd. You can get 30+ round mags for most of them. Have to hide the 30+ mag or the wife drains it rapidly. I would suggest you feel each in your hand and borrow or rent so you can shoot before buying.

The standard xd can be had for around 300$ used or 400$ish for the essentials package without the hokey holster/mag carrier. They are hard to beat unless a glock points true for you. Police trade in glocks can be had for about the same money, or less when the market isn't crazy. Both would be better then the sr9 imho.

pmer
01-04-2014, 08:57 AM
I had the same hankering about this time last year and walked out with a g19. G17 mags go right in for extra shots too. The gen 4 has additional back straps that I found useful. The G30 is a 10 plus one 45 acp of about the same size, can also use the 13 round magazine and is fun to use. There is a eight round option that makes it almost as small as one of their sub compacts.

To be honest Glocks need several boxes of ammo fired through them before the trigger comes around and feels better. Not that their triggers are bad but they do seem to break in and shoot better than compared to new. They have a few 45 ACPs but the 30 has a slide that is a bit wider that makes it easier to shoot for the weight of the slide. I'd probably sell my G19 before my 30 because it's a .45 and prints the same as the 19.

dragon813gt
01-04-2014, 09:25 AM
XD / M&P / Glock / PPQ
Those would be my choices. I own an XD and am selling it. Nothing wrong w/ it. Just moving on. Glocks don't fit my hand right. I like the M&P but never found a need to buy one. And I love the Walther PPQ. Well to be honest I love all Walther products. A buddy has a PPQ M1. It's the most accurate full size poly pistol I've ever shot. The M2 version is what's currently being sold but I prefer the paddle magazine release of the M1. You won't hear many bad things about the PPQ.

Finster101
01-04-2014, 09:34 AM
The XDm9 5.25 works well for me. As posted earlier a lot of fine choices out there, just find what fits you. The XDm and the S&W have changeable backstraps so you can fit them to suit you. I think they all come in compact versions that will hold 16 rounds as well. Not sure on that though. Happy shopping.

Lever-man
01-04-2014, 09:49 AM
You can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned so far. I don't have any experience with SR9 or the XD. My favorite Glock is the 19 and I have owned and shot all the different sizes. The Glock is simple, easy to take down and clean shoots more accurate than I can hold it. I've never had the problem with the grip that some seem to have. I've also shot the M&P 9, my wife has one that she loves. It shoots and handles very good, the big plus with it is that if you have small hands the grip is not as thick as the Glock. The best advise is to borrow, or rent all that you are interested in and pick the one that fits you the best. Shoot them first, then purchase the one you like best.

Angus
01-04-2014, 11:11 AM
I have an SR9 and really like it. I've got about 1000 down the pipe and haven't had a hiccup. The adjustable sights are a nice touch and they don't add any extra size or surfaces to snag either.

Jupiter7
01-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Personally I like hammer driven guns. CZ P07 or FNX9.

ReloaderFred
01-04-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm down to six Springfield XD's at the present time, since I just traded off one of my Sub Compacts for a Colt HBAR. The XDm will give you 19 rounds in the magazine, and with one in the chamber, gives you 20 rounds of ammunition. The trigger is great, and you can't beat the ergonomics. The standard, or Service, XD, will give you 16 rounds in the magazine, plus one in the chamber.

I've shot the S&W M&P pistols, and I was forced to carry a Glock the last year and a half before I retired, but I don't own any Glocks or M&P's. They just don't fit my hand and they don't point as well for me as the XD's do. I judge pointability by closing my eyes and bringing the gun up to the shooting position, and when I open my eyes, a good pointing gun will be at the same level as the target. The XD's will do that for me, every time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Smith's M&P is a nice pistol, and with some drop in parts or pistolsmithing, they can
have outstanding trigger pulls. I can't learn to like the Glock grip, grip angle
or Mattel trigger pulls, but find the M&P to be very good in all these departments.

Bill

crabo
01-05-2014, 02:52 AM
The M&P seems to sit lower in my hand than the others. However I would look at a CZ P07 as well.

Uncle R.
01-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks to all of you for your input. I noticed a couple of things - not only is there no clear consensus on which gun is best, there's no clear consensus on which gun is worst. No one has written "I'd avoid model XXX - mine was a jam-o-matic and required repair time after time."
<
At this point it seems reasonable to conclude that they all work well - and to go with the advice that many here have given to choose the one that fits your hand the best, with the best trigger feel and grip angle.
<
I will be haunting the local shops trying to familiarize myself with the different models, and reading as much as I can find on the subject. I plan to do my homework and to choose wisely. There's a shop with an indoor range some few miles from me and he rents pistols. He's a big Sprinfield dealer so I'm hoping I can try out an XD. After reading the comments posted here I also want to look at the M&Ps more closely, and since I've never actually fired one I want to try a G19 as well. I hope he has all of those models to rent.
<
Cheez - shopping for a pistol is a tough job but I guess I'll have to man up and get to it.
:wink:
<
Uncle R.

kweidner
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Wasn't there a recall on all XD's? I have the MP9c and regularly launch golfballs at 25 yards with it. Noe 135fp and tite grop is a great combo. Zero leading and never a hiccup. Tons of fun and with different backstraps you can make it fit you.

ReloaderFred
01-05-2014, 10:46 PM
There was a recall on the XDs, which is the new single stack pistol, but not on any of the other XD's. The regular XD and XDm, has had no recalls.

Hope this helps.

Fred

ColterB
01-06-2014, 01:56 AM
I personally have a pair of Glock 19s that are my go-to guns. A primary and a backup. The primary has just shy of 10,000 documented rounds down range and has been flawless except for a few failures to eject when using some Tulammo when it was still very new.

I can tell you from rentals at work that the S&W M&P series and Glock products will hold up in the long run. I can also assure you that Springfield XDs do not hold up in the long run. If you're just using it on the range the XDM series has some nice features, but I wouldn't bet my life on that level of workmanship. I don't own an M&P, but they are a good pistol and definitely worthy of being a personal protection gun. As far as Ruger goes... haven't had one fail yet, but they also don't get shot as much as the others.

I'd be making my pick between the M&P and the Glock. If I were starting over today, I'd be very tempted to go M&P. When I started on Glock, M&Ps were not as well established as they are now and at this point it is not worth undoing the investment in equipment and training to switch over.

Uncle R.
01-06-2014, 08:13 AM
I personally have a pair of Glock 19s that are my go-to guns. A primary and a backup. The primary has just shy of 10,000 documented rounds down range and has been flawless except for a few failures to eject when using some Tulammo when it was still very new.

I can tell you from rentals at work that the S&W M&P series and Glock products will hold up in the long run. I can also assure you that Springfield XDs do not hold up in the long run. If you're just using it on the range the XDM series has some nice features, but I wouldn't bet my life on that level of workmanship. I don't own an M&P, but they are a good pistol and definitely worthy of being a personal protection gun. As far as Ruger goes... haven't had one fail yet, but they also don't get shot as much as the others.

I'd be making my pick between the M&P and the Glock. If I were starting over today, I'd be very tempted to go M&P. When I started on Glock, M&Ps were not as well established as they are now and at this point it is not worth undoing the investment in equipment and training to switch over.

Thank you for this reply. This kind of "heavily used rental gun comparison" information is great to know when making a decision.
Again - thanks!
<
Uncle R.

PbHurler
01-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Just another vote for a Springfield XDM9. 19 rounds of accurate fun.