PDA

View Full Version : Alaskagurls Mauser 308 history?????

AlaskanGuy
01-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Hi guys....

AlaskanGurl's father died just before christmas. He is buch better with our lord after 2 strokes and a heart attack left him paralyzed and blind... When he passed, he left this mauser that was sportized.... It had been kinda forgotten about for about 20 years.... I soaked it and got everything freed up... Took it to the range and shoots nice... Wish it was mine... Very very smooth... Has the 3 position safety which was froze up hard, but works ok now... We are just wondering about the history of this rifle... We no nothing about Old Mausers, but would love to see if anybody around here could offer some history..... I took some pics, and they are not very good, but hopefully, something will jump out at the Mauser experts....

Just click on the pics for a larger version... If we can id it from what i have, i will dig out the laptop and the nikon and get some real pics...

AG

seaboltm
01-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Brno rifle, re-barrel. probably a vz-24. If it shoots, great rifle.

Pb2au
01-04-2014, 12:01 AM
Brno rifles were a fine weapon, as most mausers are. The bolt sounds like a vault door closing doesn't it? :wink:
If I understand the subject line correctly, the rifle currently is chambered in 308 correct? If it is a nice shooter, plus with the history in your family I would suggest giving it a nice clean up and continue making memories with it.
Here is a website that you can use to maybe cross reference the serial numbers to gain a little more light on it's history.
http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/indexen.html
Good luck!
Very sorry for the loss of your father in law. Please extend our condolences to Alaska girl.

Uncle Grinch
01-04-2014, 12:21 AM
Looks like it may be one of the many that Isreal converted from 7.92x57 (8mm) to 7.62x51 (308) for use during their fight for their nation.

junkbug
01-04-2014, 12:45 AM
It is almost certainly an Israeli Mauser, converted to 7.62 Nato in the mid to later 1950's. Many were imported into the USA in the 1980's and 1990's. The big 7.62, and Lion (BRNO) crest is a pretty good indicator that it is Israeli.

AlaskanGuy
01-04-2014, 12:50 AM
How can i know for sure if it is a v24... According to everything i have searched thanks to the provided links, there should be a v24 right under the manufacture stamp where it says bruno????

AG

Dutchman
01-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Vz24 means Model 1924. I agree it was probably an Israeli rifle. Czech Brno actions are top quality as far as metallurgy goes.

Dutch

AlaskanGuy
01-04-2014, 01:28 AM
So does that mean at the vZ24 was produced in 1924? Or just that the model is based on a design originating in 1924?

UBER7MM
01-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Nice looking VZ-24! The stocks of the original were thick and had sling mounts on the left side as well as underneath. They were sold all over the world between the world wars in place of German Mausers because of the WWI treaty restrictions regarding arms manufacture. Romania, China, Persia, and many South America countries just to name a few places they were exported. Many were pressed into Nazi service as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._24
Yours is in good shape and has the lion crest. The ones captured by the Russians have the lion scrubbed. No signs of Imperialism. Some of those old guns have seen better days. Also the ones I've seen have straight bolts. One other interesting point of trivia, VZ-24 the bayonets have the blade facing up when fixed. A soldier would be slicing up in stead of down on his enemy.
Here is a website that has manufacture data with regards to serial numbers:
http://rml1708.com/MyCzechWebpage/czdata.htm

I hope this helps,

Mk42gunner
01-04-2014, 02:41 AM
The vz-24 is a well made example of the basic Model 98 Mauser.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture of that big honking 7.62 stamp, was Israeli Mauser. I remember seeing those for sale at a gunshow in the San Diego convention center in 1988 for $69.00 + tax. Wish I would have bought a few dozen then.

Robert

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 02:43 AM
+1 on Brno, high quality Mauser and the big 7.62 has been seen on Isreali
converted from 8mm, in my experience.

Bill

mikeym1a
01-04-2014, 02:51 AM
That's a really nice looking rifle. Really neat markings. Enjoy!!

Gtek
01-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Lion crest was used from approx 1935- 1939 up to German occupation. Receiver forward ring and bottom of rear stock were marked when conversion completed by Israel. As said, they are nice receivers. Back in the dealer days were picking up for a hundred bucks and in my opinion are some of the tightest, smoothest there is in a military 98. I had to do one which has crest, Shilen in .308, laminated stock, German glass. Absolute tack driver, but as expected between parts and labor I could have bought a fat barrel Model 70. Gtek

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Lucky to have an intact crest- dont wipe it off!

kootne
01-04-2014, 03:37 PM
I remember looking at one of those about 20-25 years ago at Gibson's Discount store in Bozeman Mt. Seems it was 70 or 80 dollars at the time. Still in the original military configuration. I was all set to buy it untill I looked through the barrel and it had a good bore but 2 groove rifling. For some reason that spooked me, I guess I thought somebody must have Bubba'd a '03a3 barrel onto it. Was the 2 groove barrel an arsenal job or Bubbas? I seem to recall for some reason that it was Israeli and it had that big 7.62 overstamp. (Not trying to steal your thread Alaskaguy, you just jogged an old memory). Sorry for your loss, I lost my dad a few years ago, took me a while to get over losing him and strangely, for a while, I didn't even want to use any of the stuff he left me even though those are the last guns I'd get rid of.
kootne

AlaskanGuy
01-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Bless you sir.....

I just wish i could scare up one of those actions... I would love to have one.....

Gtek
01-04-2014, 05:12 PM
They have some on the GB site. Most were scrubbed for Romanian transfer, but still the same insides. About 99.9% of them I ever looked at the barrels were smoked, rounded lands on top of the moon surface was a goody. The bolts are usually still slick and tighter than a 98K, and forging the bolts was easy with the nice metal. Gtek

Multigunner
01-04-2014, 06:26 PM
I remember looking at one of those about 20-25 years ago at Gibson's Discount store in Bozeman Mt. Seems it was 70 or 80 dollars at the time. Still in the original military configuration. I was all set to buy it untill I looked through the barrel and it had a good bore but 2 groove rifling. For some reason that spooked me, I guess I thought somebody must have Bubba'd a '03a3 barrel onto it. Was the 2 groove barrel an arsenal job or Bubbas? I seem to recall for some reason that it was Israeli and it had that big 7.62 overstamp. (Not trying to steal your thread Alaskaguy, you just jogged an old memory). Sorry for your loss, I lost my dad a few years ago, took me a while to get over losing him and strangely, for a while, I didn't even want to use any of the stuff he left me even though those are the last guns I'd get rid of.
kootne

Some South American Mausers were rebarreled using two grove barrels made on U S surplus barrel making machinery.
Not sure if these were chambered in .30-06 or in 7.62 NATO. I think they chambered at least some in 7.62.
If so the Israelis may have obtained some of these barrels. That or a previous owner obtained one to replace a worn out conversion barrel.

A lot of WW2 surplus gun making machinery was gifted to cold war allies. Greece got a lot of this machinery to replace stuff the Germans had carried off or destroyed.

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Re: multigunner's comments - I have a Chilean 1916 Model 98 Mauser, made by Steyr in Austria,
and converted to .308 (7.62 NATO, actually) and it is a good shooter. I think the bbls were supposed
to be US sourced surplus bbls.

Bill

Nickle
01-04-2014, 11:20 PM
It might not say it's a VZ-24, but it does say it's a BRNO, and they're the ones that made the VZ-24.

Some odd things happen to the stamps sometimes. I have one, and the VZ-24 marking is upside down. Missing it completely wouldn't surprise me.

It's said they're the best of the 98's, and I don't doubt it.

Hang Fire
01-05-2014, 01:08 AM
It is almost certainly an Israeli Mauser, converted to 7.62 Nato in the mid to later 1950's. Many were imported into the USA in the 1980's and 1990's. The big 7.62, and Lion (BRNO) crest is a pretty good indicator that it is Israeli.

If it was a Israeli rebarrel, it would have the Star of David along with the large 7.62 stamped on top of receiver.

Caveat, at least the two I have is done as such and also others I have seen.

bob208
01-06-2014, 11:37 PM
that is a check. vz24 that was rebarreled by the Israelis. it is a good shooting rifle. now that it is drill and taped. I would get the bolt handle altered and the safety altered. so you can mount the scope low like it should be. when that is done you will have a rifle that will rival anything you can buy new.

AlaskanGuy
01-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Unfortunatly, i asked her about doing some work on it, and she want it to stay as recieved.... It shoots great though, as is... Although the safety is so stiff, she has a hard time operating it... I have no trouble with it...

starmac
01-09-2014, 02:31 AM
I kind of agree with her, if it fits her well enough, and it was good enough for her dad, it won't hurt to last another generation or two in the same configuration.
I am no mauser expert, but the safety on mine (same as hers) doesn't seem stiff, so I'm betting it loosens up with some use.

UBER7MM
01-12-2014, 12:08 AM
.... It shoots great though, as is... Although the safety is so stiff, she has a hard time operating it... I have no trouble with it...

AlaskanGuy,
If the we're talking about a stock mil safety, you can polish the end of the sear and/or safety cam where the two contact to perhaps make it a little easier to use. If you take the firing pin assembly apart, you'll see if the sear bearing surface is rough. You don't want take much off, just polish it a bit with a stone. Might do the trick. Hard to say without seeing the parts.
I hope this helps,

AlaskanGuy
01-12-2014, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the tip on the safety.... I will give that a try...

AG

David2011
01-12-2014, 01:43 AM
Congrats! Nice rifle. You might look for a faint Star of David cartouche on the stock, too. A friend and I ordered 4 Brazilian 1908s in 7x57 a few years ago. After 100 years three of the four had consecutive original serial numbers and Stars of David on the stocks.

David

Artful
01-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Sort of wish I would have jumped on
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MausVZ24
https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/product/resized/f3mausvz24a.jpg

Czechoslovakian vz. 24 8mm Mauser Rifles. One of the finest Mauser rifles produced utilizing the large ring 98 Mauser Action. Receiver Ring Crest was partially or completely removed during the Russian Post War refurb process. These rifles are in Very-good+ to Excellent condition as pictured. Please allow for minor stock and/or handguard repairs that are very common on these Rifles. Bayonet, Scabbard, Cleaning Rod, Sling and Pouch included. Does not include capture screws. SOLD OUT $289.95
But with the receiver ground - I passed...

I'm still deciding if want to go for
http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-mauser-24-47-bolt-action-rifle,-8x57-8mm,-bayonet,-vg-condition,-used.-p-59306.html
http://www.jgsales.com/product_thumb.php?img=images/59306-yugoslavianmauser24478x57boltactionriflewmismatche dboltreceiverwithbayonetvgconditionused-s1.JPG

Yugo Mauser 24/47 Bolt Action Rifle, 8x57/8mm, Bayonet, VG Condition, Used.
15-677xq
$259.95
These are Yugoslavian 24/47 8x57 bolt action rifles. They were refurbished by the Yugoslavs in the late 1940.
They have mismatching bolt and receiver and are in very good condition.
Includes bayonet and accessories similar to what is pictured. C&R eligible.
Choose from above menu for hand select for a nicer overall appearance.

AlaskanGuy
01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Wow... Me too.... Problem is, need a c & r to receive one... I just havent gotten around to getting the paperwork settled....

Artful
01-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Any dealer can order one for you - or you can get you C&R to have shipped directly to you.

starmac
01-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Just curious, does Cordova even have a dealer??