PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 52 info needed

DanWalker
01-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi guys. I am looking for some info on a couple of grand old rimfires. A friend of mine just inherited 2 model 52's with Lyman target scopes on them. These are the BIG long scopes in the externally adjustable mounts. Both rifles are in terrific condition. Would just like to know any info you guys have about them, and a possible price range they might be valued at. I know an accurate price is impossible to obtain without pics and documentation and expert hands on examination. I just haven't seen quality of this age outside of a museum before.

sbowers
01-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Having been a gunsmith for about 40 years and a Winchester 52 collector and shooter I would be glad to accommodate you but what you ask is not possible with out knowing the model of the guns and the model and power of the scopes attached and pictures. If you can provide these things I can give you an accurate value of the rifles.
Steve

uscra112
01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Might do some searching on Gunbroker, but be aware that asking prices there are usually astronomical. But the Lyman scopes alone go for $600 and up in good condition.

pietro
01-03-2014, 08:40 PM

To help you determine the rifle's model, look at their SN's - Model B has a "B" SN prefix, a Model C, a "C", and a Model D a "D", etc.

The scopes should have a model name (Like "SuperTargetSpot") and/or model number, and the magnification stamped into the metal of the main tube and/or lens bell(s).

square butte
01-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Barrel weight or profile is important in discerning value. Target vs Sporter can mean a huge difference in price. Sporters seem to bring top dollar. I suspect yours are target models if they have target type scopes mounted on barrel mount scope blocks

wv109323
01-04-2014, 01:03 AM
Many Winchester 52's were custom ordered by competitive shooters from the Winchester factory. You could do that before 1968.Tons of options were available and guns are widely varied. The most valuable is the original 52 Sporter. The major variations are Pre-A, A Model, B Model , C Model,D model and a few E Model or International. By numbers the B was the most popular. The scopes are extremely expensive in todays market ($300 to 800).

southpaw
01-04-2014, 01:47 AM
I was at gander mountain the other day and they have a 52 with a flip up rear site and blocks for 1200 bucks if memory serves me right. 70% condition on the gun would be generous.

It has been there for awhile and they seem to think that some guns are made of gold. I would check the gun auction sites and blue book to get a better idea of price.

Jerry Jr.

Bent Ramrod
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
At the gun shows around here the later Model 52s in good condition go for $900 or so. The early models with the barrel band and the cocking piece are maybe $200 less. I don't ever see a horde of eager buyers fighting each other to get them at these prices, though.

Target rifles are typically well cared for, so condition is pretty uniformly good. Even those that the owner has modified or customized typically don't have a lot of stock dings or blue wear.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
About 5 years ago, I took in an old mod. 52 Target on a trade for almost nothing...I figured it was worth a couple hundred dollars. I don't remember any other details about model number/letter suffix...ect.

I didn't really look at it close, but when I cleaned the barrel, I could see it had been shot so much, there was scant little rifling left... the last few inches of the bore was surely smooth and the crown was kinda tough looking...must have been cleaned alot. Bluing in poor condition, wood was well worn. no rust or pitting...just extensive use.

A few weeks after I traded for it, I realized I didn't want to keep it, so I brought it into Cabela's, they offered $500 cash. I took it. my next visit there, it sat in the glass doors of the Library with a $995 tag on it.

pietro
01-05-2014, 01:37 PM

"Double your money, double your fun" , which used to be the mantra of pawnshops, seems to have been espoused by many used gun retailers........... (gotta keep the lights on, ya know)