PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Cowboy Expansion Die Doesn't Like 38-Special Brass

Jeff82
01-03-2014, 07:32 PM
I've been using my RCBS Cowboy expansion die to reload 357 Starline brass for thousands of loads with no concerns. Recently, I also began reloading Starline 38-special brass. The 38-specials really don't want to accept the expansion head. I need to lubricate the inside of the case (using Vaseline) in order to keep the press from jamming. Has anyone else experienced this? I have never had to do this for 357 cases.

Alvarez Kelly
01-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Brand new brass often needs a little case lube to make the job easier. Starline brass is known to be a little extra heavy duty. I would lube them for your first sizing. After that, I bet you'll have no problems.

Dave C.
01-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Jeff, tumble the new shiny brass in corn cob or walnut shells and the problem will be gone.

Dave C.

ReloaderFred
01-04-2014, 01:05 PM
New Starline brass is known for sticking to the expander if not lubed. I've had them stick so hard the case was pulled in half when withdrawn from the die, with the top half of the case stuck tightly to the expander.

If you tumble them, or give them a light spray on the inside with case lube, that will solve the problem, but you might also want to see if any of that new brass has stuck to the expander. It will build up and cause problems. If it has built up, you'll need to polish it off. You can use steel wool, but I normally chuck it in my drillpress and polish it to a high sheen while I'm at it. I like Flitz Metal Polish for that job.

Hope this helps.

Fred

44Vaquero
01-04-2014, 01:58 PM
When loading new pistol brass I always slightly camphor the inside of the case mouth. Like AK says above Starline is known for this.

Jeff82
01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
The 38s stuck so hard in the expander that one of them stuck solidly that it pulled off the expansion head of my M-die. The RCBS die seems almost indestructible and with a touch of vasoline they go through smoothly. The problem with lubing is that powder sticks to the lube and really frustrates the process of periodically checking the powder charge. I'm hoping the brass loosens up after a few reloading cycles. I'll definitely monitor the expansion head to check for brass residue. I'm surprised I haven't run into this before. Starline is my go-to brass for 357 and 45-70.

ReloaderFred
01-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Once the brass has been fired, the residue left behind acts as a lubricant. When Starline finishes their brass, they wash it in a strong detergent solution to remove the case lube from forming the case. This leaves the brass metal completely bare, and brass against steel, with no lubricant, causes brass galling onto the steel expander.

To remove the stuck brass from the expander, you can use either a Dremel Tool or a sharp file. You very gently cut a line the length of the brass, but not all the way through it. You just want to leave a paper thin layer of brass in the cut. This will give you a weak spot and you'll be able to peel the brass off the expander with needle nose pliers.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Jeff82
01-04-2014, 05:22 PM
It helps. Sounds like my practice of ultrasonically cleaning the brass prior to tumbling might not be a good idea in this case.

bhn22
01-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Do you have a case tumbler? Car wax in tumbling media would make your cases really shiny, and provide a measure of case mouth lubrication.

Jeff82
01-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes, I tumble after cleaning. How much car wax do you use?