PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Venturino still a member here???

WILCO
01-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Could've sworn he was.

Last I rember reading of him here, he'd had some complications from a surgery.

Taylor
01-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Not read anything from him in a long while.

bhn22
01-03-2014, 08:55 PM
He hasn't been here in a long time, 2 years or so IIRC.

jumbeaux
01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Seem to remember him posting in the military rifle section in the last 12-18 months...

rick

bhn22
01-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Nope...

Mike Venturino Boolit Master 08-07-2008 421 01-22-2012 08:35 AM
Last visit was 1/22/12

WILCO
01-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Have marked as "Duly Noted".

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 03:22 AM
I just checked.

Mike has been visiting, just not posting.

WILCO
01-04-2014, 11:53 AM
I just checked.

Mike has been visiting, just not posting.

Thanks Bill. That's good to know.

jmort
01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
What is/was his member name? Would like to check out his posts. thanks

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Mike uses his own name.

No screen name.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?6145-Mike-Venturino

Right to what Mike looked at last.

jmort
01-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Actually, I doubt he is looking, as all those threads are from his "friends" and his member profile is on auto-pilot. Too bad he is inactive. His last post was 5-16-2011. Thanks for the link.

savagetactical
01-04-2014, 03:16 PM
I have always loved his articles, he and Lane Simpson were the only reason I used to read shooting times.

Maven
01-04-2014, 04:30 PM
I miss his presence here as well, but I believe he left after some less than respectful member or members questioned his expertise.

savagetactical
01-04-2014, 04:37 PM
I miss his presence here as well, but I believe he left after some less than respectful member or members questioned his expertise.

I was not a member then so I have no knowledge of it, however I think its a shame as there are very few gun rag writers I actually give any credit to as to knowing what they are talking about. He is one of a handful, David Fortier on the other hand I have zero use for. Most gun writers are simple shills , and not much else.

LynC2
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM

That wouldn't surprise me as on a high power forum I frequented; a NRA national champion in both hi power and small bore often added his perspective which was much appreciated. Then some know it all dumb butt gave him a ration of **** about what he had written. After a few episodes of that, he just stopped posting to everyone’s chagrin. :(

onceabull
01-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Maven has it right,& that's probably the reason we don't see much of Glen Fryxell around here either....Onceabull

jcwit
01-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Well it sure wasn't me even tho I sure can obstinate at times, I've always had the utmost respect for Mike and his writings.

BruceB
01-04-2014, 06:39 PM
There are some people in this world that seem to have an irresistible urge
to tear down, demean, or minimize anyone who has real accomplishments in any field.

In many cases, the accomplished person in question may well post under an assumed name..... I've seen this numerous times on various websites. This allows him to continue contributing, but also cancels a good deal of the "weight" he can bring to a discussion.

I don't know what solution there may be for the posters with the "dog in a manger" attitude, but it sure is unfortunate for those of us who enjoy a good dialogue with the people who work in the areas that interest us.

I too wish Mike was still posting here.

waksupi
01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
That's why we can't have nice things.

John Allen
01-04-2014, 06:51 PM
It is a shame. I genuinely enjoy his articles. I have a couple of his books and they are a good read.

Bad Water Bill
01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
I have followed Mikes articles back to the time WE both had a full head of hair.[smilie=1:

Mike is the only scribe that not only says what he did but shows his reloading shack,range AND collection of guns he owns and occasionally some of the trophies he has won. :drinks:

Mike we miss you, come on back to cast boolits,

Wayne Smith
01-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah, and since I've stopped buying Reloader I miss Yvonne's picts, too.

wv109323
01-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Mike is a Good ole West Virginia boy. He grew up in Williamson,WV and still has some family there. He actually taught school in a now closed high school about a mile from where I live. Williamson is right in the middle of the Hatfield-McCoy Feud area. That may have influenced his interest in early firearms.

Mike Venturino
01-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Mike is a Good ole West Virginia boy. He grew up in Williamson,WV and still has some family there. He actually taught school in a now closed high school about a mile from where I live. Williamson is right in the middle of the Hatfield-McCoy Feud area. That may have influenced his interest in early firearms.

Hello there from a fellow Mingo Countian. I actually am still a member but have not been active for a long while. I have been deep into a book project that has been near all consuming. It is in the final lay out stages and will go to the printer in a couple of weeks. It will be available from Wolfe Publishing. Also had some health issues that have knocked me down a bit but I seem to be licking it. Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Mike V.

btroj
01-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Well that answers that

Sweetpea
01-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Good to hear from you.

Always something to learn.

Brandon

MT Gianni
01-05-2014, 12:37 AM
i met Mike at the Bozeman gun show a few years back. Just as nice a guy in person as in print.

savagetactical
01-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Best of health to you sir , congrats on your new book. I will be looking for it at some point.

WILCO
01-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Hello there from a fellow Mingo Countian.

Thanks for stopping in Mike!!! It's great to hear from you.
Best wishes to you in 2014!!!

NWPilgrim
01-05-2014, 02:00 AM
Can't wait to see what the book is you wrote. I enjoy your articles, always.

Three44s
01-05-2014, 02:08 AM
Well that's great!

Thank you for dropping by Mike!!

I really have been missing your installments on some of your collection here at Boolits!!

Hope 2014 treats you well, health and otherwise and we get to hear from you as often as you like ......... !

Best regards and Happy New Year!

Three 44s

jmort
01-05-2014, 02:11 AM
Nice surprise. Ask and you will receive.

scarry scarney
01-05-2014, 02:16 AM
Mike - good to hear about the book. I always read your articles first. Good to hear you are a member here, which makes sense to me. Have a great new year.

Love Life
01-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Mr. Venturino's articles are what make handloader worth buying. I started casting thanks to his articles. Hands down my favorite writer.

youngda9
01-05-2014, 08:58 AM
My daughter got me the latest Lyman Cast Boolits (they spelled it wrong) book and I read it all over the last couple of days. Well done Mike !

Teddy (punchie)
01-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Best of health Mike , pray your health gets better.

762 shooter
01-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Mr. Venturino's articles helped me through a very difficult period in my life when I was waiting for my Shiloh 1874 to arrive.

dale2242
01-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Good to hear from you , Mike.
I love your articles.
Can you give us some insight into the subject matter of your new book?....dale

C. Latch
01-05-2014, 09:49 AM
When I started casting a year ago, I triple-read every word MV wrote for the Lyman manual that came with my casting kit. I also remember reading his articles as far back as the mid-90's in various publications.

Also, I'm a longtime member of another forum where some very respected 'gun people' have left in frustration when they were constantly challenged by mouth-breathing idiots who knew nothing but how to run a keyboard. I know how that stuff goes.

jcwit
01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for stopping by Mike, glad things are looking up health wise, and may you have the best of luck with the new book.

Happy New Year!

Moonman
01-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Mike, Good to hear, looking forward to the new book.

Don''t stay away so long, we need a little inspiration at times.

fouronesix
01-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Good to hear you're still kicking Mike, great news!

Mike V. is a straight shooter- both on the line and as a writer. Writing is a very tough, demanding and at times, stressful business.

nekshot
01-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Good to hear from Mike, I also get concerned when some of the "ole" fellas stop responding.

WILCO
01-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Good to hear from Mike......

Love your avatar Nekshot!

Mike Venturino
01-05-2014, 01:49 PM
Sorry I neglected to say what this new book is about. It is no secret. Wolfe already has it in their online catalog. The title is Shooting World War II Small Arms. Sure was fun to do!
MLV

danski26
01-05-2014, 01:53 PM
I was hoping that it was WWII small arms!! Thanks Mike!!! I'm getting in line for it now!!!!!!!

jonp
01-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Good to hear from Mike and that his health is improving.

It is easy to get brave from behind a keyboard and say things that would not be said in person. Even if you disagree with what someone is saying, if he/she has "been there done that and has the bonifides" you do well to hear them out and think on it before dismissing out of hand what they say. On several occasions I've read things that I immediately threw a flag on and wrote a blistering reply only to open a different screen before sending and actually looking up the subject matter and much to my chagrin and education found out what I thought was wrong.

jonp
01-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Sorry I neglected to say what this new book is about. It is no secret. Wolfe already has it in their online catalog. The title is Shooting World War II Small Arms. Sure was fun to do!
MLV
I'm in for a copy. Too cool

TXGunNut
01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Good to hear from you, Mike. Had the pleasure of visting with you and Steve almost 20 yrs ago in Raton. Seem to recall the article quite awhile back when you developed an interest in the WWII small arms. Not my cup of tea but when we met I had no interest in BPCR or casting boolits.
Thanks for all you do, you've been a huge help in my shooting development.

Wayne Smith
01-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Having a couple of 1895 Steyrs, K31's and an 03A3 I ought to get it, Mike. I hope there are Cast Boolits in it!

smoked turkey
01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
I too read any of Mike's musings that I run across. I also think Yvonne does an excellent job on her pictures. I think one of his best reads was a piece that did not have so much to do with shooting as such as it did with those folks we run into in the gun store, gun show, etc. It was titled something like "My Gun Culture". It was an excellent read and one that shows his expertise goes beyond simply reloading/casting/shooting. If you see this Mike, I thank you for being you. Glad to see the MV signature again.

Outpost75
01-05-2014, 05:05 PM
MLV

I look forward to this. Have you considered selling autographed copies of the first edition?

Char-Gar
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Good to see you post again. I will line up for a copy of your book. Don't let the idiots that we have here, get under your skin. They have made way to many of the informed folks move on down the line with their foolish challenges. You have the opportunity to help allot of folks here, and many will take your counsel to heart. Some will just want to display their ignorance, but blow them off and stay with us. There are allot of new folks "running ball" here, who need the steady hand of an experienced man.

That goes for Ed Harris as well, who shows up here from time to time wearing a wig, dark glasses and a fake beard. (-:

Shuz
01-05-2014, 06:57 PM
Mike--Glad to hear the health problems have diminished. Keep up the good writing and shooting. I've always enjoyed your writing.--Shuz

John Allen
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Hello there from a fellow Mingo Countian. I actually am still a member but have not been active for a long while. I have been deep into a book project that has been near all consuming. It is in the final lay out stages and will go to the printer in a couple of weeks. It will be available from Wolfe Publishing. Also had some health issues that have knocked me down a bit but I seem to be licking it. Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Mike V.

Mike, I am glad to hear you are alive and well. I look forward to the new book. I find I keep looking back on the buffalo rifles of the old west book. I keep buying new (old) stuff and it is nice to have an idea on it. I just picked up a nice Ballard for a sweet price in 32/40

See ya John

MtGun44
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Best wishes, especially on getting healthy. I always enjoy your articles and
Yvonne's pics.

Can you give us a hint about the book?

+1 on autographed copies for Cast Boolits folks, if you're up to it.

Thanks.

Bill

Bad Water Bill
01-05-2014, 08:33 PM
Put me and Girty down for one of those signed copies as well

John Allen
01-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Mike, if you decide to do them on the forum signed let us know I want one too.

01-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Welcome back, sir.

I'm in for a signed copy.

WILCO
01-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Best wishes, especially on getting healthy. I always enjoy your articles and
Yvonne's pics.

Can you give us a hint about the book?

+1 on autographed copies for Cast Boolits folks, if you're up to it.

Thanks.

Bill

Hi Bill!

Well said. Figured you missed this post from earlier:

MLV

myg30
01-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Welcome back Mike. I too enjoy your writings and miss the reading. I save some old mags and re-read from time to time.
Be safe n healthy. Keep us posted how you doing. Also in line fer the book.

Mike

shredder
01-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Of all the gun writers I have read. Mike is the one that comes the closest to my own ethics and thoughts on hunting and shooting. What a pleasure to find him here.

MtGun44
01-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Wilco,

Thanks - yes, missed that one. Should have guessed it, given that I have read a bunch of great articles
about WW2 guns in the last few years by Mike.

Bill

Mike Venturino
01-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Mike, if you decide to do them on the forum signed let us know I want one too.

Thanks again everyone. The plan so far is that the book sales are going to be from the publisher but perhaps we can arrange something so I can sell them on here. I'll let you know. Hopefully we will have copies next month. I have done the final edit on the first hundred pages of the layout. This is not my first rodeo but I sure am excited about this one.

Thanks again
MLV

missionary5155
01-07-2014, 05:11 AM
MLV

Good morning
Those articles in that monthy magazine were good reading. So much I removed them and added them to my Military Arms folder. If you want to start a sign-up list I would be happy to put my name in for one of those books.
Mike in Peru

GabbyM
01-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Count me in on a signed copy if it comes about.

Sounds like a dangerous book to read. Person may have to buy another gun cabinet after.

Mike Venturino
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Count me in on a signed copy if it comes about.

Sounds like a dangerous book to read. Person may have to buy another gun cabinet after.

Gun cabinet, hell! I had to build an underground gun vault.

nhrifle
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Mike, I probably speak for many folks here, but thanks for all you have done. I am indebted for all I have learned from your books and articles.

scarry scarney
01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Mike-Count me in for a signed copy as well. You sure make me jealous with some of your class three toys. I know, I know, move to a free state. But thank you for letting me just read about some of the toys you have. I sure enjoy your articles.

Bad Water Bill
01-07-2014, 07:17 PM

Years ago I was building a floor to ceiling stone fireplace (29' tall) in the GREAT ROOM of a log cabin.

The owner had a REAL gun room built into his home.

The foundation made up 3 sides of the room and there was 10" of double reinforced concrete for the ceiling.

Yes 50' X 10' with a bank vault door makes a sweet gun room.

I doubt that would be big enough for the collection you have at your bunker.

Down South
01-07-2014, 07:42 PM
It's good to hear you are around Mike. You can put me down for a signed copy too if you figure out a way to get er done.

44Vaquero
01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
The breath and depth of members here never stops amazing me! Defiantly will be checking out the new book too!

2AMMD
01-07-2014, 08:09 PM
We are all here to share our knowledge and learn from each other(I think that's the idea). Thats my story and i'm sticking to it.

Bobdep
01-09-2014, 11:04 AM
I'm excited for this book , can't wait for a copy , I have a lot to learn and I always enjoy Mikes work.

WILCO
01-09-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm excited for this book , can't wait for a copy , I have a lot to learn and I always enjoy Mikes work.

Welcome aboard Bobdep!

bhn22
01-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Yes, but shrapnel knows where it is. I'd move it in the middle of the night, if I were you.

Fishman
01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Way back before the internets was all that, I really looked forward to my monthly copy of Shooting Times. That would have been the early to mid-90's I believe. Mike, you were my favorite writer, and I did enjoy Layne Simpson's writing, and Rick Jamison's as well, although I didn't understand a lot of it (LOL). I am very excited to see this new book and would love to get a signed copy in the unlikely event that you are able to swing it to offer here to the membership. My original interest in WW2 arms came about because they were inexpensive and I was broke, but I quickly became fascinated with them and currently have more than I really need with no sign of stopping.

To those that are interested, I saw where Buffalo Arms already has it listed with a brief description:
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Shooting_World_War_II_Small_Arms_it-994502.aspx?CAT=4150

shdwlkr
01-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Mike it is good to here you are still with us, that your health is improving and that you are maybe back here on Castboolits. If you figure out how to get signed copies for us old folks here on Castboolits I would like one. Retirement sucks when it comes to buying things but I will find the funds somehow if you can pull it off.

Thanks for the all the knowledge you let us in on concerning casting, cast bullets and even shooting.

jonp
01-09-2014, 08:29 PM
I hope there is a list for people here to get a signed copy. I sure would like one. From the interest shown so far the first printing might be sold out on this sight alone

Bad Water Bill
01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Girty just informed me that if Mike sends her one she will gladly FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER administer her stamp of approval and send it back to Mike for HIS display case.

Gravel Girty is getting sentimental in her senior years

WILCO
08-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Bump to the top!

Bad Water Bill
08-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Once a member always a family member

UNLESS you are bad.:evil:

Mike is not a frequent visitor and his last posting was 1-7-2014.

osteodoc08
08-20-2014, 10:28 AM
I've always enjoyed Mike's articles. His and Brian Pearce among several other gun guys that are writers that I'm having a mental block on.

Bad Water Bill
08-20-2014, 10:32 AM
We just might have scared him on his last visit.

Some of us wanted to have a group buy for signed copies of his latest book.

Hardcast416taylor
08-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Mike and I used to PM each other every now and again about military weapons and such. The Pm`s and E mails got fewer and fewer after a surgery he had that saved his life. Haven`t gotten any PM`s from Mike in a year and more now, not even sure my PM`s or E mails to him are going to his computer.Robert

woodbutcher
08-20-2014, 02:22 PM
:drinks: Hi Mike.Glad to hear that you are doing well.Your articles are always a great read.Been following your writings since about the day after Noah grounded the Ark.Bet you remember a couple of fellas that went by the names of "Dirty Dean"and "Filthy Ritch".Hehehe.The best to you for a speedy and full recovery.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

crawfobj
08-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Tagging this with hopes that signed copies of the book will be available here. Always enjoy mike's work, and I'm sure the book will be no exception.

Mike took the time to respond to a question I sent him when I was a newbie caster. My wife was unimpressed, but I thought it was cool.