PDA

View Full Version : Tula SP vs Wolf SP are they the same primer?

fecmech
01-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Title says it all. Have any of our esteemed members had experience with either or both? Please comment.

OBIII
01-03-2014, 06:28 PM
I have used both and have experienced no problems with either. As far as I know, Wolf and Tula are manufactured in the same plant. They are mil spec, and both go boom reliably. I am sure someone will be along to tell us how horrible they are. :)

OB

01-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes they are the same, like Chevy and GM.

My Tula/Wolf primer failure rate is the same as Winchester's -- one each -- and will continue to buy them.

jonas302
01-03-2014, 07:05 PM
They have worked fine for me some reason the Tulas dont feed though my lee hand primer as smoothly as Federals even though Lee says not to use Federal primers not a big deal and I still buy them Wideners had them on sale for $23

felix
01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Like any primer, make darn sure they hit bottom when they are seated. Their skins might be a little tougher, or at least seem tougher because they might be slightly larger instead, so, again, make sure they hit bottom no matter what. ... felix

Ed Barrett
01-03-2014, 07:43 PM
I bought two bricks of wolf SP primers a year or two ago and they worked fine in 38 Spl and 22 hornet loads.

richhodg66
01-03-2014, 07:46 PM
I've used both and never had an issue. Seems I heard somewhere they were more sensitive to extreme cold than others? Can't remember where I heard it though.

sargenv
01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Being Russian primers, I'd think there would be no issue with cold weather.. it gets very cold over there...

altheating
01-03-2014, 07:53 PM
The only Tula that I had that failed to fire was one that went through the Dillon primer system bas akwards. Can't blame that on the primer!

Westwindmike
01-03-2014, 07:59 PM
The Tula's that I have are hard to seat in my Dillon. They seem to be just slightly larger in diameter. I normally use Winchester and they slide in with normal effort. I have set the remaining Tula's aside to use only in hard times.

fecmech
01-03-2014, 08:37 PM
The Tula's that I have are hard to seat in my Dillon.
I had noticed a slight increase in seating pressure with the Wolf's also in my CH Auto Champ but it wasn't excessive.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I have used the Wolf's with no problems and was contemplating a bulk order of Tula's. I was told they are the same so now I think I'll go ahead with the order.

bear67
01-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I have loaded 10K plus Wolf (sp and LP) through my Dillon SDB s, and 550s. Never a problem, but I have not shot all of them yet. I did have a LR primer fail to ignite in .257 Roberts, but when I pulled it down there was the look of, "gasp", oil in the primer. Don't know for sure if I did it on the press as I loaded these primers on a RCBS bench top primer or if I got it contaminated moving from storage to the primer tubes. Just another "aw, shucks" moment. I originally bought 30 K of these for around $12.90/K delivered from Powder Valley. They are higher now, but still a good buy.

I do still have lots of CCI and Rems for those bench rest quality loads. Wolf just allows me to shoot more.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
if they are just a little larger they might be just the thing for Remington cases , seems all my Remington 9mm cases seat cci primer very very easily then again they stay in and they work so , I will probably just use what I have but maybe wolf some day if the price is right.

hardy
01-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Well they range in price from $23.40 for pistol up to $29.50 for large Rifle.That,s a sight cheaper than the gougers have been asking even factoring in Hazmat and shipping.Get,em while you can..Good luck,Mike.

retread
01-04-2014, 12:53 AM
I like the fact they are all oriented right in the trays. Just flip over with the primer tray lid and they are all face up for loading Dillon primer tubes. Not so with any American brands. Still buy American though when I can!

myg30
01-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I've purchased many wolf in all sizes. No trouble with any of them. The prices back several years ago was a no brainer fer me on which to buy. As posted above, you'll read all the horror stories. I have nothing to add to them. Never any trouble. Clean your brass. If loading on a progressive then clean the pockets after 2-3 loadings.
I decap my brass before cleaning so pockets are clean before I seat them.

Be safe, Good shooting

Mike

Moondawg
01-04-2014, 12:48 PM
The only problem I have had is the occasional FTF in a couple of my revolvers shooting DA. No problem with semi-autos. I think they tend to have harder cups than Federal or even Winchester. They also seem to be a tiny bit larger around.

Wayne Smith
01-04-2014, 10:20 PM
The only problem I have had is the occasional FTF in a couple of my revolvers shooting DA. No problem with semi-autos. I think they tend to have harder cups than Federal or even Winchester. They also seem to be a tiny bit larger around.

Probably not harder - it is a design difference. American primers have the anvil slightly proud and it is seated as you seat the primer. Russian primers come with the anvil already seated. If you do not completely seat the primer your first primer hit probably seats it, the second sets it off.

felix
01-05-2014, 02:49 PM
True! ... felix

altheating
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Just received my order of Wolf SP primers today. I ran at total of 300 of them through the Dillon primer filler and then through the Dillon presses while loading 357's and 9mm's. Not a single issue with any of them.

Trey45
01-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Sorry I'm late to the party! From my understanding on the subject, both Tula and Wolf do not actually manufacture anything they sell, they slap their label on contracted products. The primers could be Barnaul and probably are, or they could be another manufacturer that has a contract with Wolf or Tula.

That being said, I bought a sleeve of Wolf large magnum pistol primers several years ago and every single one of them went bang. I did notice what a few others mentioned and that was a bit more pressure was needed to seat them.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Graffs must think they are the same, I ordered Tula and got Wolf. Fine by me, the price was right. I was getting 1-2 hard ones per 1000 (LP) that wouldn't go off even with a second strike. The pin indentions were obviously shallower than the rest.

km101
01-15-2014, 01:37 PM
I've used Tula primers for years without problems. I fired over 7,000 SPP last year and did not have a single failure. That's good enough for me.