PDA

View Full Version : Coast Guardsman save a life

DCP
01-03-2014, 01:52 PM
A rescue by Seaman Sasser - just four months out of boot camp:

I can say 1st hand 50 degree water mighty cold.

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2013/12/shipmate-of-the-week-seaman-stacy-sasser/

Bad Water Bill
01-03-2014, 02:15 PM
I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Congratulation little lady.

DCP
01-04-2014, 01:16 PM
I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Congratulation little lady.

:goodpost:

btroj
01-04-2014, 01:37 PM
I love it when training kicks in and people react appropriately.

Well done

DCP
01-05-2014, 12:22 PM
And while Blonn, a father of four, says he “can’t say enough thank yous” to Sasser for her bravery, the Tybee Island, Ga.-native herself remains modest.

cbrick
01-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Had to read this post to see what would make that a headline cause with the folks in the Coast Guard that's an almost every day thing but just out of training . . . Pretty impressive.

I feel the CG deserves far more credit than they get, there are a huge number of people running around enjoying life that wouldn't be if it weren't for the training, skill and bravery of our CG. They are a very special group.

Rick

Bad Water Bill
01-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Something no one else has mentioned is that she is as small as a mouse but did not hesitate one second about diving into that cold water and saving someone that probably weighed twice what she does.

Congratulations on a job well done sailor.

btroj
01-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Had to read this post to see what would make that a headline cause with the folks in the Coast Guard that's an almost every day thing but just out of training . . . Pretty impressive.

I feel the CG deserves far more credit than they get, there are a huge number of people running around enjoying life that wouldn't be if it weren't for the training, skill and bravery of our CG. They are a very special group.

Rick

Ain't this the truth!

How many members of the CG go into bad weather to save others who weren't smart enough to stay home?

The Coast Guard does an excellent job of saving fools.

AKbushman49
01-09-2014, 11:38 AM
btroj- Aint that the truth, been in that scenario, we've lost more Coasties trying to save/help people who shouldn't have been on the water, or in that position to begin with. More than a few in unforeseen circumstances. (WX, Fire, Mech troubles ect.) Alot of these were in WX that a duck wouldn't fly in. The unstated motto is "You have to out but not necessarily come back." Have lost a few friends that way.
Granted a lot of the work is preventive maintenance more or less, marking channels so the ship/boat would not hit the rock, or putting up "remote" (and I do mean REMOTE) electronic sites so they could communicate/navigate when the **** hit the fan. Stuck on a rock for a year or more in the middle of BFE , so people could know where they were (before SATNAV, and GPS)
My cudo's to you sailor you've lived up to an honorable tradition. I trust your command put you in for the Lifesaving Medal, you've earned it. bushman

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2014, 08:23 AM
another ex coastie that salutes him and all the men and women serving right now. Lots on tv about the dangers soldiers face in war but little is said about what the coast guards men and women face every day in war and in peace time.

vintagesportsman
01-10-2014, 08:36 AM
One of my son-in-laws is CG. 5 years now. Two deployments. Both in sensitive rolls guarding US naval vessels and interests in ME et al. Great man. Fearless. On a small boat crew. As a former Paratrooper I am very honored to have him as a SIL. Thanks for the article.

Ramar
01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
I was a civilian contractor for 7 years on a Coast Guard base on an island in the Atlantic and have witnessed many times where the Coasties have almost complete disregard for their own safety and venture out into the most unreal hazardous environment to save a life. It's rare anyone ever hears about how much they help to save lives. The military cut backs seams always to be hardest on USCG especially with all their base closures and living with the Navy "hand me downs".
Ramar

Bad Water Bill
01-10-2014, 10:52 AM
another ex coastie that salutes him and all the men and women serving right now. Lots on tv about the dangers soldiers face in war but little is said about what the coast guards men and women face every day in war and in peace time.

LLOYD

Go back and look at the size of the young lady that dove in the 50 degree water to save a shipmate.

Your grand daughter probably is bigger than the young C G shown.

crazy mark
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
As we were taught " semper paratus" in boot camp. The CG doesn't get a lot of credit for being military. Did and saw many coasties doing things that were dangerous. I was a 255 WHEC black gang member in the ealy 70's.

AKbushman49
01-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Crazy Mark- Which One? WHEC 68 here. bushman

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2014, 10:18 AM
255 sailors. Some of the rare bts and mms. I was a mm on the cgc taney for 2.5 years. probably isnt a steam mk left in the CG.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2014, 10:22 AM
LLOYD

Go back and look at the size of the young lady that dove in the 50 degree water to save a shipmate.

Your grand daughter probably is bigger than the young C G shown.

Some will give me flack for this but i was in when women first started doing mens jobs in the CG. Alot of the fought it. Some fought it hard. I looked at it with open eyes. Some of the most dedicated and bravest saliors i worked with were women. It was like back then they had something to prove and went the extra mile. Ive worked with many lazy sobs when i was in but never found even one lazy female. Im sure times have changed now that its common to see them even on ships. We had a couple on the small boat rescue station i finished my time at and i never once saw them say no or show fear.

TXGunNut
01-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Rick

I guess the reason she's so modest is that even she knows she's surrounded by heroes in the Coast Guard.

AKtinman
01-11-2014, 10:59 PM
Fine job by the young lady, watching out for a shipmate (even if different ship).

I joined in ’66 so was in before all the jobs opened to gals. Mostly they were YN or HM’s at that time.

The very first USCG female AD was in my duty section at AirSta Kodiak, about 1978 or so. She was a good mech, but would keep you on your toes. She drove a Jeep 4x4 and one day slid off the road. One of the support center security types decided to pull her Jeep back onto the road. She didn’t like how he wanted to do it, and was afraid he was going to damage her vehicle. He figured she was a gal and didn’t know anything, so ignored her. She decked him! We were proud of her. She worked as hard as any of the guys.

It was a whole different experience with the gals. Having one come to me and tell me she was pregnant, who the dad was, and should she have an abortion, or should she get married, ...Whew! There wasn’t any training for that kind of stuff back then.

mac60
01-12-2014, 10:37 AM
An interesting bit of trivia; During WWII the USCG lost more people (AS A PERCENTAGE) than any other branch of service. USCG personnel piloted landing craft at all the major landings in both theaters.

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2014, 10:01 AM
they also had a very much higher then average fatality rate in VN running river boats.

crazy mark
01-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Crazy Mark- Which One? WHEC 68 here. bushman

WHEC-67. The Minnetonka in Long Beach Calif.

crazy mark
01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
255 sailors. Some of the rare bts and mms. I was a mm on the cgc taney for 2.5 years. probably isnt a steam mk left in the CG.

Lloyd What years. My neighbor was on the taney in 69 and 70. His last name was connley. He was still in when he died of a heart attack.

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2014, 07:57 AM
74-77. Funny thing is we had a Bm3 named conoley that was a buddy of mine. He was a warant officer helicopter pilot that after nam lost his warrant bars because of cutbacks and came over to the coast guard. He eventually went to ocs and got a commision and flew choppers for the cg.

Lloyd Smale
01-14-2014, 07:59 AM
you guys that are fans should get the book. THIS ISNT YOUR FATHERS COAST GUARD Its a book about the untold story of the coast guards special service devision when it existed.