PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions about sizing...

Larkbill
01-03-2014, 12:47 PM
Ok, I've searched and read until I'm cross-eyed. I know I have some homework to do, and at least one tool to buy (micrometer). But I'd like to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels trying to go down the wrong path.

I have about 18 lbs of .270-169gr bullets I got for the best possible price. I don't have, nor ever intend to have a .270. I do however have a Swedish Mauser. Assuming my as yet unslugged barrel is within the expected range (those Swedes were pretty particular) is it possible or even advisable to size these bullets from .278-.279 down to a useful size for the 6.5mm. I'm going to pick .267 as a likely goal. I plan to buy a Custom Lee sizer to do it. I measured the bullets with my vernier caliper which I used for years to measure hydraulic cylinders and pistons before ordering custom made seals so I know I'm pretty accurate with it and trust it more than a dial type.

The bullets are designed for a GC. Would you use a .270 GC or a 6.5mm?

DLCTEX
01-03-2014, 01:16 PM
I don't think you can size them that far without damage or wiping out the lube grooves. Assuming they are lubed, the lube may support the lands enough to hold up, but that is a large difference. I think your money would be better spent in other choices.

mdi
01-03-2014, 01:32 PM
The most I've sized bullets is .005". I think you'd need at least two dies to go the full .012" you're looking for and then the results may be questionable (lube grooves, distorting body). Since the barrel the bullets are intended for is 6.5mm, use a 6.5mm gas check.

If a vernier caliper works, and is accurate for you, use it. The main concern about most casters recommending micrometers to new casters is the calipers are easier for a new user to get bad measurements, from thin jaws and easily "sprung" slide/jaws. I use a dial caliper I started using as a back up to my old Starret 1" mic. in 1969, but my 1", plain old micrometer is my go to tool...

grouch
01-03-2014, 01:43 PM
I agree that it's unlikely you can successfully size a .270 mold at.278 to 6.5mm at.267. You'd Have to use 270 gas checks because 6.5 won't fit on the bullets.
Grouch

Larkbill
01-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I was afraid that would be the case, .012 does seem like a long way to go, and getting the larger GC needed to fit the .270 boolits to squeeze down too is just a bridge too far.

Plan B. Melt them down and cast something similar in the right size. I already co-own a Lee bottom pour melter and have cast my own Maxi Balls in .50 and .32 before. Sometimes the longest distance between two points is a short cut. That seems to be the case here.

DRNurse1
01-03-2014, 02:24 PM
Sounds like the better plan.

Not considering the cost to do it, would swaging accomplish the needed reduction or would the deformation of the boolit be too great. --I am not a rifle reloader but I am interested in the effects of swaging on a boolit.

bhn22
01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
You would also need to swage down the bullet noses too, in order to fit in the bore. So now we're up to two seperate sizing operations, if the bullets survive getting squished to .267.

Zymurgy50
01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Swaging is a prosess that expands materials in a die, trying to force an oversized piece of lead into a die and swage it will get you in trouble. I have taken 240gn .429swc and swaged them to .452swc, but only because I was given a box of 500 and didnt own a 44.

MtGun44
01-03-2014, 03:48 PM
If you fill the lube grooves with lube, they will not wipe out, the lube is trapped
and will keep them safe. If you push thru nose first in a push thru die, with
some lube on the boolits, you MIGHT make this work. I'd pan lube or run thru
a RCBS/Lyman to lube and size down a few thousanths, then try pushing thru
a Lee pushthru (cheap) die or maybe two steps. Will need lube on them to
push thru, Hornady spray lube should do it, or lanolin-alcohol mix misted on.

You will HAVE TO use .270 GCs and put them on first thing. The cast shank will
not accept 6.5 GCs. Anneal the GCs first to dead soft - heat red hot and drop in water.
Then put them on, run thru Lyman/RCBS to seat GC, size a bit and fill lube grooves,
then go to pushthru die or dies with more sizing lube. Definitely out on the edge
(or over!) but might work.

Bill

Sig
01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Instead of melting them why don't you try to trade em? Post them here in the SS area.

Airman Basic
01-03-2014, 07:39 PM
Ok, I've searched and read until I'm cross-eyed. I know I have some homework to do, and at least one tool to buy (micrometer). But I'd like to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels trying to go down the wrong path.

I have about 18 lbs of .270-169gr bullets I got for the best possible price. I don't have, nor ever intend to have a .270. I do however have a Swedish Mauser. Assuming my as yet unslugged barrel is within the expected range (those Swedes were pretty particular) is it possible or even advisable to size these bullets from .278-.279 down to a useful size for the 6.5mm. I'm going to pick .267 as a likely goal. I plan to buy a Custom Lee sizer to do it. I measured the bullets with my vernier caliper which I used for years to measure hydraulic cylinders and pistons before ordering custom made seals so I know I'm pretty accurate with it and trust it more than a dial type.

The bullets are designed for a GC. Would you use a .270 GC or a 6.5mm?
Sounds like a good excuse to try a 270 to me.

Larkbill
01-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Buying a .270 would be the obvious thing, I get that and am normally open to new gun excuses. But that's one caliber that just never floated my boat. Would buy a .280 instead, or 7-08, or 7X57, or .260 Remington. But that's just me.

I do like the trading idea. I may pursue that. Doubt I'll find any 6.5 cast but you never know.