PDA

View Full Version : ML paper patch test 2

idahoron
11-30-2007, 06:24 PM
I went out today to shoot some more. After last time I decided to glass bed the front 5" or so of my stock. The Barrel was moving in the stock and I wanted to remove that as a problem with left and right "flyers"
The tang was also bedded and I wrapped the soft lead 409-405-HB's in 9# 25% cotton Air Mail paper. I also decided to NOT use a felt wad under the bullet. I used 90gr of Pyrodex P for the powder.The first three shots hit high and to the right. I didn't care I just wanted to see a group. The group was good at 1.32" at 100 yards. I cleaned the gun and I moved the sight and shot two more. Both of these touched each other. I cleaned the gun again and I moved the sight again and shot a 6 shot group no cleaning. This group measured 1.52" at 100 yards. I was very happy with the results of this test. First I was happy that I didn't need the felt wad with the PP bullet. This will make it easier when I am hunting with this load. Second I was happy I could shoot a 6 shot group with it and not clean in between. Again this will make it easier when I am hunting and need a follow up shot. Here is the picture of the group. Ron
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/11-30-07_458_rifle_test.jpg

Buckshot
12-03-2007, 11:15 PM
................Looks like a positive improvement :-)

...........Buckshot

idahoron
12-04-2007, 12:05 AM
The only thing is I don't know if it was the changes in the bullets, the lack of a wad, or the bedding that increased the accuracy. I am happy with the results. Ron

NSP64
12-09-2007, 07:41 PM
The only thing is I don't know if it was the changes in the bullets, the lack of a wad, or the bedding that increased the accuracy. I am happy with the results. Ron

Welllll, you could always go back and unchange some things if you have to know[smilie=1:

PatMarlin
12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
What rifle are you shooting? Groups look great!

idahoron
12-20-2007, 12:34 AM
The rifle is a TC Renegade with a Green Mountain 32" 1-18 twist barrel. The Sights are a Lyman 57 SML and a Lee Shavers globe front sight with a level. Ron
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/2250458_bennit_mountain_mag_2_5.jpg

Baron von Trollwhack
12-20-2007, 06:27 PM
I do not believe that it ever is a good thing to have a traditional styled gun with a barrel that moves in the stock, particularly one with heavy recoil. Since you have glass bedded it so that it does not move about you may be sure the gun will be mechanically the same shot to shot. The bullets hit the target. Know that the preparation and quality of the bullets is the next most important factor. Too much windage (slop) in bullet/bore fit will ruin any chance of great accuracy. Yet the bullets must go down the barrel, and so must be soft enough to obdurate with your charge, but not so soft as to slug up putting naked lead from the front on the barrel. A wad helps to seal the bore to prevent gas cutting at the base. Use it always the same till you start to get acceptable accuracy results from adjusting patching and hardness then play with wad/ lube usage . BvT