PDA

View Full Version : Wild West Guns , BLOOPER

bobthenailer
01-03-2014, 09:59 AM
I was watching the new season opener last night , after cleaning up the internals of a older 1894 win in 30/30 , they took it out back to test fire it and everything worked fine but when they ejected the case they had a quick close up and it was a belted magnum case , possibley a 300 win mag
I guess they rechamber 1894s to 300 mag also ?

bob208
01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
now I know why in the movies you see the guy using a 73 or 92. but he has a bandolier some times 2 stuffed full of 06 or 8mm.

Moonie
01-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I love when they show semi-auto's firing and rimmed revolver cartridges hitting the floor... Only time I've ever seen a 1911 firing .357's lol, not talking about a coonan either.

sbeatty1983
01-03-2014, 10:26 AM
You have to admit though, the show is better than those that had the morons in Louisiana and Colorado

oldred
01-03-2014, 10:32 AM
I have mentioned this, my all time favorite blooper, a couple of times already but I just can't resist!

Years ago, can't even remember the name of the cop show, a detective was waiting on a doctor to revive a gunshot bad guy so he could question him, the doc was removing the bullet while the cop watched, finally he got it out and held up the tweezers holding the bullet for the cop to see -it was the whole stinkin round CASE AND ALL!!!!!

AkMike
01-03-2014, 02:53 PM
There was one of their hot rod `smiths bragging up that he'd just built a bullet trap for the shop testing that'd stop "anything".

He backpedaled and declined to test it with my 600 NE. [smilie=1:

Hardcast416taylor
01-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Back in the `70`s I recall seeing a photo in Gun`s magazine with their idiot editor firing 2 .45`s model 1911. Someone out of camera shot had thrown handfulls of different empty shells into the air over the pistols as if they had ejected them. There were shotshell empties, rifle empties all manner of empty handgun empties and several Shell oil logos imposed on the photo as if the guns had ejected these "empty Shells".Robert

MtGun44
01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Sounds like "Guns" was having some fun with all the mis-usage of the terms on that cover shot.

Bill

CastingFool
01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
I remember watching a movie about Vietnam, and they showed some Hueys coming in to pick up some troops and they were firing their miniguns, and at one point, they had a close up, and you could clearly see the 7.62 blanks.

felix
01-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Look closely and you can see jet trails on some westerns shot on location. Usually, you can see studio shots where wind (a fan or two) is blowing things in the background and not in the foreground, or vice versa. If the acting is good, so what! The story is more important by far. ... felix

oldred
01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Look closely and you can see jet trails on some westerns shot on location. Usually, you can see studio shots where wind (a fan or two) is blowing things in the background and not in the foreground, or vice versa. If the acting is good, so what! The story is more important by far. ... felix

I watched an old western not too long ago from the 50s that was supposedly set in 1859-1860 just prior to the Civil War and there were some awfully suspicious looking power lines strung through town and connected to most buildings, and of course the clothing was typical Hollywood "cowboy" plus everyone was armed with Colt Peacemakers in strapped down holsters and carrying '92 Winchesters. The guns being so far out of the era is of course standard fair for Hollywood until recently and it's not uncommon for Peacemakers and the '92 Winnys to be used as far back as what was supposed to be the 1840s!

Movies like Open Range and Quigley down under were a refreshing change from the typical Hollywood BS concerning guns and other items that were normally used in times set way before they were actually available.

BTW, how many times can a fella watch either Open Range or Quigley beofre tiring of them, I have seen both so many times I can recite the lines and I still enjoy watching them!

grumman581
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
I remember in the old Daniel Boone TV show once where there was a jet contrail in the sky that they didn't notice when filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXu40tMxh-w

grumman581
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
I remember watching a movie about Vietnam, and they showed some Hueys coming in to pick up some troops and they were firing their miniguns, and at one point, they had a close up, and you could clearly see the 7.62 blanks.

No wonder McNamara was never satisfied with the body count. :)

376Steyr
01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
I saw a John Wayne picture once where in a chase scene he was blazing away with the only left-handed Winchester '92 ever made. Of course they had flipped the film over for editing purposes.

snowwolfe
01-03-2014, 06:08 PM
I missed the opener. Didn't realize they would run the show again since the owner was arrested on a bunch of illegal guiding charges.

sbeatty1983
01-03-2014, 09:50 PM
At least he wasn't pimping his daughter out

GOPHER SLAYER
01-03-2014, 10:14 PM
I often watch British mysteries and they are, for the most part pretty good, until firearms are involved. At that point you might see anything. I was watching an episode this year and a man took a break top pistol down stairs to shoot his wife in a mostly dark room. After the shot you saw the handgun for an instant and it had morphed into a 1911. Anytime the show involves a German, a Luger is used and they think nothing of dropping it off the roof of a building onto pavement. Makes me cringe every time.It does not look like a replica either.

leeggen
01-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Was watching one of the westerns afew yr ago and one outlaw shot a guy, the outlaws partner say that was a good shot withthat Winchester.
The shooter ejects the shell and in comes straight out the right side of the rifle. OOPs must have been a Marlyn.
CD

When your in deep pooh, look ahead and keep your mouth shut!

Firebricker
01-04-2014, 12:37 AM
Just my opinion but the charges on West look like a witch hunt to me. They are going back to 09 just do not see the evidence if they had it why was he not charged then?

On the movies I like when Tom Hanks shoots the guy in the bath tub in "Road to Perdition" he has the only DAO 1911 of the era. FB

trochilids
01-04-2014, 02:05 AM
Sound effects are interesting, too. Every time an agent on NCIS draws their gun, you hear the metallic, rattle "half rack" sound that says, "Hey, I just drew on you." To me is say, "Hey, this gun is going to fall apart if I don't hold it with two hands."

DLCTEX
01-04-2014, 04:10 AM
I don't recall which western movie it was but there was a school bus passing in the distance.

oldred
01-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Ever notice the roads in westerns? They always seem to have wheel ruts but the centers almost always have no evidence of wear at all, wagons leave ruts but they also wear the centers with hoof prints and horse riders would not leave a wide road with two tracks that just happen to be spaced perfectly even about the width of car and pick-up tracks.

cbrick
01-04-2014, 08:40 AM
I spent 34 years in that industry, you wouldn't believe the incredible nonsense that goes on with anything involving firearms. They have a fairly simple philosophy, since I don't even know which end of the gun the bullet comes out or that there are actually different calibers and they are not interchangeable no one else could know either so it doesn't matter. Much of the "bloopers" you see involving guns aren't bloopers, they just really don't know the difference and they don't appreciate anyone pointing out mistakes. Your far better off keeping your mouth shut.

A blooper is something they didn't catch such as the 1700's pirate sword fight on a sailing ship I saw once, one of the pirates was wearing a digital watch. The actor forgot to take it off when he got into wardrobe & nobody caught it.

Rick

jcwit
01-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Guys, Its called entertainment for a reason.

It not a college course.

Finster101
01-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I think a lot more detail is going in to the newer movies. I always liked the Clint Eastwood westerns they seemed to be at least close to the correct pieces for the setting. Whether they like them or not some of those actors have to spend a lot of time with the guns they are using to pull off the roll they play. I would be curious how and who they train with. While I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan I did see a piece on him training at a range for a hitman role that he was playing. It seems he got quite proficient....to the point of being uncomfortable with the shooting scenes when filming because he knew he was able to hit what he was shooting at. I can appreciate that. I know someone is supposed to inspect and maintain the prop guns but if I were using one I believe I would be double checking it myself for my own piece of mind. As for Quigley or Open Range, I guess when the dvd quits playing you could take a break from them....at least till you replace it.

waksupi
01-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Ever notice the roads in westerns? They always seem to have wheel ruts but the centers almost always have no evidence of wear at all, wagons leave ruts but they also wear the centers with hoof prints and horse riders would not leave a wide road with two tracks that just happen to be spaced perfectly even about the width of car and pick-up tracks.

Teams maybe? There are old tracks on the rez, and the old Oregon Trail that show twin tracks.

Tn Jim
01-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Another good firearms movie was "Heat". All the actors went through a Hollyweird version of basic training to learn how to do rapid mag changes and immediate action if need.

oldred
01-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Teams maybe? There are old tracks on the rez, and the old Oregon Trail that show twin tracks.

That makes sense now that I think about it.

montana_charlie
01-04-2014, 03:28 PM
I saw a John Wayne picture once where in a chase scene he was blazing away with the only left-handed Winchester '92 ever made. Of course they had flipped the film over for editing purposes.
I was watching one episode from tv series about fighting in Iraq when a main character cut loose (in slow motion) with his M-16 ... which had the ejection port on the left.

As for the Quigley movie, it was very well done. But, it's a little flakey when Matthew raises or lowers the lever on that Sharps and it sounds like he brought a Single Action Army to full cock ...

CM

lmfd20
01-04-2014, 03:43 PM
It's not just the gun stuff or the movies. I can't remember if it was Disney or daytona but I was 13 or 14 when I asked why we upshifted 8 times without down shifting on the Days of Thunder ride. I was told "it's a ride kid". At least get it close.