PDA

View Full Version : Toaster Oven for Heat Treating Boolits?

jethunter
01-03-2014, 03:53 AM
My old heat treating oven finally gave up and went to the appliance repair depot in the sky. I need a replacement for heat treating boolits.

I saw some convection toater ovens at the local Wallyworld today. Price range from $50-$75 on 3 different models. The dials go all 3 go up to 450F.

I need 420F for 1 hour to treat boolits. My question is: Has anyone tried these convection toaster ovens for heat treating rifle boolits? I expect the dial calibrations would be inaccurate, but i could use a Maverick BBQ sensor to read proper temperature.

Any thoughts?

Taylor
01-03-2014, 08:17 AM
I bought mine at Good Will,$5 I think.They are inaccurate and unstable.I use mine for knife steel.The household oven works much better,but that is between you and your wife.

dtknowles
01-03-2014, 10:38 AM
I have a yard sale toaster oven. I drilled a hole in the side so I can stick my Lyman lead thermometer inside. This oven will not get to 400 deg. F. I have tried the 450 setting, the broil setting and dark toast. Still tops out around 390 on the Lyman thermometer.

Tim

Mike W1
01-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I have one in the attic from back when I experimented with heat treating. Bought a little oven thermometer to sit in it. Long story short it worked but I don't do rifle bullets any more so that's history I guess. Thinking Dennis Marshall had an article on HT in a RCBS manual.

oger
01-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Never tried heat treating with one but work super to warm up molds before use.

madsenshooter
01-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I have a little one that gets up to 420. It stays pretty consistent. I tried using a gas oven once and the temperature swing was too much. I wound up with a baking sheet of lead puddles with a gascheck in the middle of them.

RickinTN
01-03-2014, 06:41 PM
I bought one at Wal-mart about a year ago that I don't remember the brand, and it would't get to 400 degrees. I exchanged it for an Oster (I'm not @ home now, but think I remember Oster correctly). I did get the convection model and as I recall it was $99. It will get to 450 degrees, actually runs about 430 degrees on a 400 setting. I think I remember you can run the thermostat up to 450, but don't remember the actual temp there. I've been pleased with it so far.
Good Luck,
Rick

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I bought a Black & Decker toaster oven a year or so ago at Wallyworld. According to my oven thermometer, it hits 485 max,
and it maintains temp pretty well. It was like 39 bucks, I saw the exact same thing used, in a pawn shop, for 50 bucks the week before
-tards

jethunter
01-06-2014, 03:12 AM
OK, thanks for the advice. I'm going to give one of the Oster convection models a try. Wife isn't going to let me use the kitchen stove and i need to cook some boolits.

dragon813gt
01-06-2014, 01:14 PM
I have an Oster. I don't use it for heat treating bullets. But I can confirm it gets up to 450 degrees. It's one for the house so I don't put lead in it.

Oreo
01-06-2014, 09:26 PM
I've been doing my research for a powder coating toaster-convection oven. From what I've read the $99 Oster at Walmart is the best thing going. Its got digital controls and a nice big interior. It gets the most good reviews of all current competing models.