PDA

View Full Version : Plastic tips causing my corbin S type point forming die to blow through

xman777
01-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Hey all, my punch is pressing through the plastic tip, through the lead and sticking the bullet tip and lead into my point forming die.

This is my first run at pressing these plastic tip bullets and if it weren't for them sticking, they look pretty damn good, but I just cant make them without them sticking.

Anyone got any pointers?

BLASTER62
01-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Make sure you jackets are real clean don't use excessive pressure on core seat step, try point forming in two or three steps instead of one stroke. Make sure die is clean each time you run a batch lite lube too

Reload3006
01-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Make sure you jackets are real clean don't use excessive pressure on core seat step, try point forming in two or three steps instead of one stroke. Make sure die is clean each time you run a batch lite lube too
+1 what he said

blltsmth
01-03-2014, 01:06 PM
You can always try backing off the point form die to where it just ejects. This will still form the point but not punch through the tip. Try small incriments at first to see where you need to be and read above posts as well.

303british.com
01-03-2014, 07:55 PM
And if all that doesn't work, you can shorten the punch. That will allow you to push the bullet into the die the proper amount, and eject it as well. Reduce the length in small increments until you achieve the correct length. Also, if you make more than one type of bullet, order a bag of 5 ejection pin wires. Corbins sells a bag of 5 for $10.

xman777
01-04-2014, 10:02 AM
I just ordered the 5 pack. We'll see how that goes. I turned the first one into a slinky :)

aaronraad
01-05-2014, 05:50 AM
I just ordered the 5 pack. We'll see how that goes. I turned the first one into a slinky :)

Something doesn't sound right? Corbin ejection pins are usually more than adequately sized for the job.

Make sure your core seated jacket is not going over OD for the calibre. Sometimes you can get carried away with core seating pressure.

Jackets could be too hard and requiring excessive force to point form also.

Try searching 'broken ejection pin' in the forum or with Corbin. I'm sure there are a few troubleshooting guides to assist you.

xman777
01-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Oddly enough, all the cores I have done at the same time and all the seating was also done at the same time. I produced about 2000 decent point formed bullets, but when I started using the plastic tip, this is when everything started. I haven't been able to duplicate anything because i busted the ejection pin.

303british.com
01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Something doesn't sound right? Corbin ejection pins are usually more than adequately sized for the job.

Make sure your core seated jacket is not going over OD for the calibre. Sometimes you can get carried away with core seating pressure.

Jackets could be too hard and requiring excessive force to point form also.

Try searching 'broken ejection pin' in the forum or with Corbin. I'm sure there are a few troubleshooting guides to assist you.

All my die sets were made by one Corbin or the other. For three of them - the .224, .308 and .314 - all the PF die punches were trimmed in order to form certain tips.

A single pin will not do the job properly for every point. In this case, plastic tips are being inserted. That calls for a pin alteration.

When I first started making bullets, I wanted lead points. With a 6s PF die, even with a small amount of lead extruding out the end, I was getting the pin impressing itself into the lead. Occasionally, a pin would press a bit deeper into the tip that the others and would stick. I solved that by getting another pin and trimming it. It's a quick and easy solution to the problem.

xman777
01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks to all who responded. I will be trying a variety of the proposed solutions. I just wanted to say that those responses are EXACTLY why I come here. Thanks so much for the great support as I get tooled up for swaging.