PDA

View Full Version : What is the name of the steel bar used in a Hi Lift jack?

taiden
01-03-2014, 02:09 AM
I swear I've run into it before somewhere... does anyone know the name of the steel bar used in a Hi Lift jack? Perforated i-beam, or something like that. I just can't recall, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to locate it by name. One of the many downfalls of the internet... if you don't know the name of it, or a place that sells it, it's impossible to find it.

I had a crazy idea for a target, and this is the first piece of the puzzle.

coloraydo
01-03-2014, 02:39 AM
taiden,
This site has part #'s and prices. Is that what you are looking for?
http://www.hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/parts-services.html

possom813
01-03-2014, 03:26 AM
I've snagged a couple of the 'farm jacks' at pawnshops for less than $20. They aren't Hi-Lifts, but they have a similar bar and work similarly.

Only have two Hi Lifts, both 48", wish I'd have bought the 60" jacks.

472x1B/A
01-03-2014, 08:43 AM
There site looks pretty easy to go through. But, you couldn't pay me enough to use an eminent death jack. I wouldn't trust one of these with your life. My dad had one on our farm up untill we were changing a tire on a wheeled field disk. Got the tire off and it started to sink in the ground and shift to one side, almost cut the old mans foot off when the disk came down. After that we only used it for a bottle jack back up. Hope you have better luck with yours, be carefull.

imashooter2
01-03-2014, 09:08 AM
How is it the jacks fault that you didn't set it properly or use a secondary support for safety?

jonp
01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
The best use for these jacks is on the back of a 4x4 in case you get stuck. Easy to jack the vehicle up and push over.

taiden
01-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Hey all,

I'm not looking for a jack, I'm just looking for the material they use for the i-beam. I'd like to buy it in lengths and cut it up for another use. Think targets that move down the ladder every time you hit them.

bhn22
01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Personally, I'd look for something that wouldn't deflect the bullet when it got hit, because it will get hit a lot. You could make the same thing out of wood or plastic with common power tools.

I do see your concept, and it looks interesting.

Big Rack
01-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure but I think I 've seem some hoist rail or track made the same way.

ole 5 hole group
01-03-2014, 01:47 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm real tired of sandblasting my 60" hi-lift to remove the rust after which I then prime & re-painting it and then 18 months later repeat the process. What primer/paint/substance does one use to prevent rust?? Hi-Lift is mounted on the rear of my 80 series landcruiser and the roads are salted with a mighty corrosive substance in the winter months.

taiden
01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
My Hi Lift lives under the rear seat in my Cherokee, like this:

dbosman
01-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Unistrut is one brand.
Some folks call it telescoping tubing.

edit.
I'm sorry, I thought you were looking for something else.

How about welding two, together?

472x1B/A
01-03-2014, 04:23 PM
How is it the jacks fault that you didn't set it properly or use a secondary support for safety?

NOBODY said it was the jacks fault.

KYCaster
01-03-2014, 06:28 PM
I like the concept, but.....seems to me a T post would work just as well and be much cheaper.

jumbeaux
01-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Look for medium or high carbon steel...4140 to 4340 are common alloys. If you are looking for extreme surface toughness look at 8620 to 8645. The 4140 series can be heat treated very readily...the 8620 series can only be case hardened...you need to determine if you need surface toughness, high tensile strength, high sheer strength or an all around steel grade. If you have a Ryerson Steel in your area contact them for their advice.

rick

runfiverun
01-04-2014, 11:19 PM
try powder coating the jack instead of painting it.

every time I get mine out and use it I have to oil it anyway.
so if the target stand thingy doesn't work right off don't give up until you spray it down with something.

Djones
01-05-2014, 12:12 AM
Anybody here drank beer with the boys from Bloomfield in the jack factory parking lot?

It was a pretty good time and they used to have a few good lookin gals running around.

taiden
01-05-2014, 12:20 AM
This is more or less the idea. Put the bar at a 10* angle forward and let gravity do the rest of the work. When you hit it, it should release from it's hole and slide down into another lower down the bar.

imashooter2
01-05-2014, 02:08 AM
I suspect that the target will make it all the way to the ground with the first hit. Perhaps some light spring to help force the peg back into a hole. I believe the setup is going to be tricky getting a balance that will release with a range of strike force, but still fall and snap back into the next hole...

GaryN
01-05-2014, 02:35 AM
My Hi Lift lives under the rear seat in my Cherokee, like this:

Mine sleeps behind the seat in my pickup. I have had one there for twenty years and it is fine.

obssd1958
01-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm real tired of sandblasting my 60" hi-lift to remove the rust after which I then prime & re-painting it and then 18 months later repeat the process. What primer/paint/substance does one use to prevent rust?? Hi-Lift is mounted on the rear of my 80 series landcruiser and the roads are salted with a mighty corrosive substance in the winter months.

Okay, you "Hi-Jacked" the thread - and I'm following up your question -----

This is what I use to keep mine from getting all mud-caked and rusty:

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/jackguard/index.asp

Works great, and freaks out the libtards - they think I've got a gun case on the front of my truck!!

My apologies to the OP, I had to follow up here!

Don

DLCTEX
01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Hang onto the handle of those high-lift jacks. I know a number of people that have been seriously injured by those.

taiden
01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Just keep your face away from the arc of the handle and your body away from the arc of the jack. :)

Thin Man
01-05-2014, 09:17 PM
In our part of the woods the hi-lift in post #1 is used by farmers and ranchers primarily to remove metal fence posts from the ground. You know the fence posts I am talking about - with the bottom 2-4 strands of wire buried underground and roots and grasses growing through every fence opening making it almost impossible to get them up and out of the ground. The earlier post about using care around the handle is well earned, as is the local name for these jacks: "widow maker."
Thin Man