PDA

View Full Version : making this old scale work

edadmartin
01-03-2014, 02:01 AM
I have anold lyman beam scale,it has no markings on the plastic body and doesnt have a pan with hook.I do have another pan with hook and was wondering how to calibrate it.when all wieghts are on zero and both pans suspended the beam arm is still near the bottom.I believe the pan wit the hook and counter wieght is to light.I dumped solder in the pan, added 20.6 grains, it now zeros nicely.did I do it correctly .

shredder
01-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Sounds like you did. Zero is zero. Check weights are nice but you can take a factory bullet and weigh it. I often use a Hornady 150 grain SP to randomly check my scale. They always weigh 150 grains.

Wayne Smith
01-03-2014, 11:46 AM
The pan should have a screw on the bottom. This releases the cover for the weights that balance the scale. If your pan does not have one I would get a new pan from Lyman that does.

seagiant
01-03-2014, 01:15 PM
The pan should have a screw on the bottom. This releases the cover for the weights that balance the scale. If your pan does not have one I would get a new pan from Lyman that does.

Hi,
Wayne's right! I use lead bird shot in the compartment on the bottom! Easy to get the right amount!