PDA

View Full Version : Switch Barrel H&R - Family Picture

tacklebury
01-02-2014, 11:28 PM
This is my current switch barrel system. All fit on the one frame and have a few other oddballs, like Muzzle loaders that I'm working on also. These are my go to hunting calibers and new 7mm-08 barrel added. 8)

DeanWinchester
01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Very nice.
Where'd ya get hat stock?

tacklebury
01-02-2014, 11:39 PM
It's a slightly modified and re-finished Boyd's product. This one's been acryglas'd around the riser, thumbhole opened up some for my bigger paws and sling swivel added by me. Nothing too difficult though. 8)

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=17682&cat=1226
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=17679&cat=1227

35 shooter
01-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Was the 30/40 a factory bbl.? Nice family you got there. Bet the 12 gauge is a bear with top loads.

tacklebury
01-02-2014, 11:49 PM
30-40 Krag was done by Jeepman who's doing 30-30 conversions for donations at Graybeards. 8) Mine is a M158 30-30 that required me to drill a hole in the forend to let the stud slip into. I just wrap that Velcro strap around the forend when using that barrel. I keep meaning to get ball detent mounted for it, but still have to do that. 8) If you use a modern 30-30 barrel for the conversion, you are no longer restricted to the sub 48K reloads and can get terrific performance out of the .30-40 Krag with jacketed bullets. If you use the soldered underlug like mine, you should keep it in the sub 48k range and it's just a good ole caliber. It is a good caliber for cast especially with it's long neck. 8)

With the sterling thumbhole, I have no issue with the 3-1/2" buckshot loads, but haven't had opportunity or need to try the turkey loads. I'm sure they are more stout. ;)

35 shooter
01-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about a 357 and 12 gauge combo in the h&r. Then maybe reaming the 357 to max.

tacklebury
01-03-2014, 12:04 AM
I have a shorty .357 Max. that fits this frame too, but my wife shoots a .38 special and I thought it'd make a good plinking rifle for her, so it wears youth stock and a pink sling for her... :roll:

This pic still has a black sling though:

Artful
01-04-2014, 07:35 PM
I have a shorty .357 Max. that fits this frame too, but my wife shoots a .38 special and I thought it'd make a good plinking rifle for her, so it wears youth stock and a pink sling for her... :roll:

This pic still has a black sling though:

It needed a bit of color anyway :kidding:

Artful
01-04-2014, 07:35 PM
This is my current switch barrel system. All fit on the one frame and have a few other oddballs, like Muzzle loaders that I'm working on also. These are my go to hunting calibers and new 7mm-08 barrel added. 8)

Nice - Contenders are my weakness.

AlaskanGuy
01-05-2014, 02:55 AM
Is the action on that h&r the same as a topper???? Or are those handi rifles???? Are the barrels interchangeable?????

I have an old topper in 22 rem jet... I would love to get another cal or 2 for it if it is possible....

Ag

taco650
01-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Nice set of Handi's!!!

I notice you don't have scopes on any of "your" rifle barrels and that all of the iron sights seem to be different as well. Was that intentional or just how it worked out? Do you have a preference on any of the irons you have?

Artful
01-05-2014, 11:35 PM
Is the action on that h&r the same as a topper???? Or are those handi rifles???? Are the barrels interchangeable?????

I have an old topper in 22 rem jet... I would love to get another cal or 2 for it if it is possible....

Ag

The earlier H&R Topper Models 058 and 158 were offered as combination shotgun/low pressure rifle barrel sets. The earliest ones had a snap on forearm, this changed to a screw on bolt fairly early on.

The combinations, if I recall, were 30/30; 22 Jet; 22 Hornet; 20 gauge; and 12 gauge with 20 gauge and 30/30 being the most common.

I thought all serial numbers started with either an N (New England Firearms) or a date code like AA, AB, AC etc where the second letter corresponded to the date.

None of these barrels will fit a modern H&R Handi Rifle nor will the Handi Rifle barrels fit an older model. The modern Handi Rifle is manufactured in rifle (SB2) frames and shotgun (SB1) frames and H&R will not fit a rifle barrel to an SB1 frame although they did come with low pressure rifle calibers originally.

H&R will not fit rifle barrels other than 357 mag and 44 on the older shotgun frame because the shotgun frame is cast Iron and not heat treated to handle the pressure. H&R will not touch them. The newer SB1's are a better casting(for shotguns, muzzleloaders, and pistol cartridges). The SB2's are for high pressure cartridges, which can handle the lessor barrels too, the are an "investment casting".
Info from Graybeard.com

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/122800-h-r-topper-combos.html

http://www.hr1871.com/default.asp
Barrel Accessory Program

Due to limited availability of barrels at this time, please call 1-866-776-9292 prior to shipping your firearm.

* Additional barrels may be added to firearms of our manufacture since 1987 only, with a serial number that begins with N or H. We do not install additional barrels on any other manufacturer’s firearms.
* Additional barrels are available as additional barrels only. We will not exchange barrels for existing barrels on shotguns and rifles, as it will change the model.
* Rifle frames may be fitted with additional rifle, shotgun, and muzzleloader barrels.
* Shotgun frames may be fitted with additional shotgun and muzzleloader barrels only.
* We do not sell additional barrels outright. All barrels must be factory fitted.
* We do not sell barrel blanks or do custom calibers.
* In order to obtain an additional barrel(s), the stock, forend and frame (receiver) must be sent to us so they may be properly hand-fitted to the barrel, to be sure they are correctly head-spaced and proof-tested.
* Hammer Spurs Sold Separately from Barrel

To obtain an additional barrel(s), please take the following steps:

* Open the firearm by pressing the release lever, and be sure the chamber is empty.
* Remove the forend screw and forend.
* With firearm fully open, lift the barrel off the hinge.
* Carefully package the stock, forend and frame (receiver) for shipping. (DO NOT SHIP YOUR EXISTING BARREL.) Send by U.S. Mail or U.P.S. insured to the following address (DO NOT MARK CONTENTS ON THE OUTSIDE OF SHIPPING CARTON):

H&R 1871, LLC
ATTN: Barrel Accessory Offer
14 Hoefler Ave
Ilion, NY 13357

* Enclose with your parts, credit card information payable to H&R 1871, LLC (no cash accepted) along with the completed order form. Please include the serial number of your firearm, your name, mailing address (no P.O. Boxes accepted) and your daytime telephone number.
* Keep a record of the serial number of the returned firearm.
* All prices are in U.S. funds and are subject to change without notice.
* Due to licensing requirements, this offer is only available to U.S. residents.
* During periods of high demand, please allow six to eight weeks for delivery of your additional barrels or accessories.

If your frame is too old for H&R to provide a barrel, try Numrich Gun Parts.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers.htm

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=431928

hoosier Member 676 Posts Posted - 01/27/2010 : 5:33:35 PM

These are a few of the H&R Barrels I Have collected over the years
H&R 155 / 157 / 158. Started with a 1984 Combo 158 in 20 Ga wtih 22 Hornet. These are factory Barrels, some factory prototypes. Some may not be for the Models listed. NOT FOR SALE

218 Bee
22 Jet
22 Jet Magnum
219 Zipper
22LR (prototype) Neat
22 Mag (prototype)
22 Hornet
22 Hornet Imp Ackey (prototype)
222 Remington
223 Remington
38 Spec
357 mag
357 Maximum
30-30
9 MM (insert for 12 ga ) Marked H&R
32-20
35 Rem
410 Rifled (prototype)
44 Mag
45-70 (prototype)

AlaskanGuy
01-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info.... Artful..... Mine is a topper 158 and has the snap on forearm.... So I will just use it as is.. it is a oldie... and fun to shoot...

AG

leadman
01-08-2014, 01:53 AM
Alaskanguy, even with the old guns there are different frames. I had a combo gun, 30-30 and 20 gauge, that had milled areas on the sides at the top of the frame. Even the overall size of the frame was slightly smaller. I have had several 45-70s, and a 44 mag that were the Shikari model. the 44 mag was rechambered to 445 Super Mag.
I still have 2 58caliber muzzlerloaders that are the old Huntsman models. They use a standard percussion cap.

Now I tend to go for the Contenders and Encores.

Catshooter
01-12-2014, 02:24 AM
Tackleberry,

Nice family photo!

I saw it posted up a GBs, but didn't notice that the 223 barrel is skinny. How'd you work that?

Cat

tacklebury
01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Nice set of Handi's!!!

I notice you don't have scopes on any of "your" rifle barrels and that all of the iron sights seem to be different as well. Was that intentional or just how it worked out? Do you have a preference on any of the irons you have?

I really prefer irons. Lots less to go wrong. I've actually got a 4-16x40 BSA mildot on an Ironsighter look-under mount now on the 7mm-08. It's my bean Field gun for long range mainly. Have irons though if one runs out close. The .223 has a mount on it too, now and it's set up with a quick detachable set of mounts on a 3-9x40 BSA mildot so it can be used with my Low power unique loads for small game, or I have 55gr ballistic tipped varmint loads and 65gr game king loads that work well for longer shooting and tougher targets.

tacklebury
01-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Tackleberry,

Nice family photo!

I saw it posted up a GBs, but didn't notice that the 223 barrel is skinny. How'd you work that?

Cat

The .223 was from a youth super light. These are small diameter and have irons from the factory. ;)

tacklebury
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM
I have added the .58 cal Huntsman barrel I have to this set also. Will post a new pic with all the sights in a few days.

Catshooter
01-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Ah ha. Thanks.

Cat

Newtire
01-19-2014, 08:46 PM
The deal on interchangeability is all there on Graybeard's H & R talk FAQ section. Just scroll down and you will see the serial number prefixes that H & R will fit barrels onto. There have been changes so make sure you get a post 1999 model-2000 on up or they won't fit a high pressure rifle barrel to it. Used to be anything with an SB-2 frame but that has changed.

Kevinakaq
01-20-2014, 11:43 AM
You guys are not helping my firearm addiction any. I didn't need a new subsect of firearms to invest in...lol. I picked up a Handi Rifle in 308 at a pawn a couple days ago...with a ported barrel no less which I thought was unusual for what must already be a loud weapon. Well after reading this thread an additional barrel I believe is in order....hmmmm, options options options...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-01-14%2015.03.44.jpg

Kevin

Newtire
01-20-2014, 12:55 PM
You guys are not helping my firearm addiction any.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67729401/2014-01-14%2015.03.44.jpg

Kevin
This is not a good place to hang out if you are trying to wean yourself from a gun addiction. What helps is that there will usually be someone with a worse addiction. Well, off to the Pawn shop to talk to the guy about receiving a new SB2 action on his FFL. Then maybe down to see if the 7mm mould I saw is still at that one other place. After that, no more gun stuff...well, I'll need gas checks I suppose...but that's it I tell ya!

Kevinakaq
01-20-2014, 09:44 PM
...but that's it I tell ya!

You're in denial Newtire, not a good sign....lol.

Repeat after me. Hi my name is.........