PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 stock rattle

rodsvet
01-02-2014, 09:32 PM
I just replaced my Colt large pin lower with a Spikes lower so I can venture out in Kalifornia and shoot without the eye of government watching me. I took the trap door stock off the Colt and put it on the Spikes exactly as it came off. The spacer is in correctly along with the buffer and spring. It is snug but not too tight and functions alright. when I shake the rifle, the rattles as if the stock is loose but it's not. It sounds like the spacer is loose inside the tube. It amy have always rattled but I never noticed it before. Any ideas?? Thanks, Rod

imashooter2
01-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Is the rattle between the upper and the new lower or does the lower rattle all by itself?

rodsvet
01-02-2014, 10:00 PM
The lower rattles by itself. I guess it is the buffer. I took it out of the tube and it rattles. I carried a Colt for 15 months in all sorts of weather and at night. It was in 1968 and if it had rattled like this one, my a$$ wouldn't have come home. I should have inspected the buffer before I posted. Thanks for your reply, Rod

giericd
01-21-2014, 02:30 AM
Hard to tell with the description you gave, but there should not be any rattle in your lower! I was an armorer in the army and fixed m-16 and m-4's all day long. It is sometimes common for the recoil buffer spring to make some funny noises when fired and also a rattle sound, if you shake it pretty hard the spring can bump the walls of the the buffer tube, that is no big deal. But there shouldn't be any rattle if you gently shake it. If it is coming from the stock (buffer tube) don't worry about it, if it is coming from the joint of the upper and lower then your pins are probably not the right size for that specific rifle, if is from in side the lower receiver take it to a gunsmith it has issues!