PDA

View Full Version : My 1895 Chilean Mauser

milsurpaddict
01-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone

I have an 1895 Chilean Mauser that was converted to Nato 308 sometime ago. I have read all the articles about this gun the sleeves the soldering problems and the other issues with the gun after it was converted. My question is if I get my gunsmith to create a gas vent and if I load this round for a low pressure do you think it would be a good gun to shoot. I have looked hi and low for a 7mm small ring military stepped barrel in the long rifle size. I can not find one. I have a short small ring 7mm barrel but this will not fit my stock and I can not find the stock and hand guard for the short rifle. I want to shoot this gun but I do not want to put a sporter barrel on it. Let me kow what you think. I have seen many videos on youtube of people shooting the converted guns.

Thanks

MtGun44
01-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Not sure, but very likely that moderate loads in the .308 will be perfectly safe. I would start
with 10 gr Unique and 16 gr of 2400 as starting loads. Increasing 10-20% has proven safe
for me with cast. These are low pressure and should produce good to excellent accy in that
rifle. There are a number of candidates for boolit - Lee makes several and the Lyman 311291
and 311041 come to mind, too.

I have a couple in original caliber, and one has a marginal barrel - I'd LOVE to find a milsup
7mm original bbl but I think that is a pipe dream.

Bill