PDA

View Full Version : smelting today

leeggen
01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
Temperature was about 42 late morning so I fire up the lead pot and started smelting all my scrap lead in to ingots. 3 hours and 140 lb of ingots later the temp. had dropped to 28 degrees. Those dang Canadians sent a cold front down to us again. Oh well, aleast I got several piles of salvage lead out from under foot. You know lead sure looks prettyy when it is all cleaned up. Maybe in the next few days I'll get some of those nice looking boolits made.
CD

Some days you need to hide in the crowd and be quiet.

lightman
01-02-2014, 11:13 PM
I've got to do that as soon as hunting season is over. Its been a pretty good year, scrounging, but it sure takes up a lot of room. Lightman

01-03-2014, 02:07 AM
I spent today smelting as well, not quite 40 here but then I'm talking degrees C so around 100F, only good thing is I do use less gas when its hot.
Most of my lead is WW or range lead from a pistol range, 99% of the ammo used on the range is cast or swaged. I sort it into hardcast and swaged/BP balls.
Now have about 400lbs of ingots split fairly evenly between WW, hardcast and pure.

dikman
01-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Me melted too! We've had the last few days around the high 30's (didn't quite make 40C where I live) but the last two days it's dropped to around 15 C, with rain, so I figured it would be a good day to fire up the coke forge and melt down the 140 lbs. of range scrap that I'd accumulated. (Thinks "Wot global warming?" [smilie=1:).