PDA

View Full Version : 444 for me and 44mag for my bro

Blammer
01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
This story is kind of basic and not as humorous as most of my tales, but it is very special to me.

3 years ago I though I was going to lose my brother to a brain tumor. Well it looks like he beat it and will live a long happy life.
The other reason is, my brother has never been a hunter, never showed much interest in it at all until this year. Well I did my best to help him out. Gave him some suggestions and lent him my 44mag rifle with all the ammo he wants.

This is the first time we have ever hunted together. I had the most fun I've ever had in a long time with my brother.

So here goes, the tale of two brothers one with a 44 and the other a 444.

The last weekend Sat and Sunday, Dec 28, 29 of 2103, did not pan out for hunting at my brothers place.

BUT I DID get to go to his place to hunt the last two days of the season! Dec 30 and 31, Mon and Tue.

I lent my brother my Ruger M77/44 in of course 44mag. I set it up with 240gr RF cast bullets. Cast by yours truely, just ACWW.
I had it zeroed for 100 yds because I was expecting him to hunt heavy woods and a long shot would be 75 yds.

I brought my 444S Marlin levergun with my 323gr cast flat point bullet. This too was zeroed at 100 yds and I brought it because I didn't want any small tree to matter when it came time to pull the trigger. So far I was deerless for the year, I didn't want any excuses.

Well, turns out we were hunting a field or two on his property. It was 225yds across either one.

First day in the AM, I see a doe come out in the field at about 200yds, I calm down after a bit then settle in to shoot. The last second I decided I needed to move the gun to the left then pull the trigger. DOH! The ONLY deer I've put the cross hairs on this year and I totally blow it. I didn't flinch, I just decided I needed to aim farther forward on the deer, well I got a bit too far.

Back in the field that evening, brother takes up the field I had and I take a different one.

I see a deer across the field in the wood line 225 yds away, prone position, I take aim guessing the drop at that distance. I take a rock solid shot from a standing still broad side deer. I miss clean. We hunt for sign of any type of hit for 45 min's, find foot prints and no blood or anything. I'm having fun but a bit unhappy. Happy I got to see two deer and shoot at both of them in the same day! Unhappy because I missed and really will have to find out where my Marlin shoots at 200yds.

We go back to our spots to continue the hunt.

About 45 min later my brother is shooting.

He's laying prone, and 3 deer walk out at about 175 yds away. Previously I talked about how much drop his rifle would have at 200 yds. Guestimating about 3 feet due to the velocity, distance, etc, and my experience shooting at 200m rams with it... He holds high, missed first shot, cranks bolt, deer is running straight away, he shoots and drops it. Texas heart shot. Then sees another just standing in the field and he shoots and drops that one too! 3 shots 2 deer at a measured 175 yds. From a gun he's never shot at anything farther than 40yds. I'm amazed.

The running deer, Texas heart shot. Out through the chest. Standing still deer he spined, then finished with a head shot.

We're excited it's great!

The next day, I take the same field in the AM as I had in the evening, he hunts the same field he got the 2 deer in. Nothing in the morning.

Back to the house for lunch and relaxing.

We head out again at 2:30, he takes the same field I take a different one.

Just at sunset, he heads over to the field I was at in the morning. He's seen nothing in the field he's in and just can't stand it, he has to check out the other field, so he walks on over. Just as he gets to the entrance of the field he sees two deer in the far side of the field, he drops to prone, lines up and shoots. First shot drops the buck, he gets up, he shoots again, deer is down. He then sees the other deer running and he shoots two more times at that one and misses.

Well the buck is wildly flopping around, so he heads over to finish it off.

(He's now out of ammo as he only took the four rounds the gun would hold. Remember he walked to this field and he left his pack in the other field.)

On the way to the buck, he looks to the left and sees a herd of 10 deer standing there looking at him. He's out of ammo, can't do anything but watch, then it dawns on him he can't finish the buck as he's out of ammo. He walks back to his pack 300 yds away gets more ammo. (Later I suggested he always take ammo AND the gun, and now he knows why I carry a bunch of ammo with me hunting)

Now to me.

I heard some shooting, knew it was his gun but it sounded really far away.

After all that shooting, I decide it's time to go visit him at his stand. When I see him he's about 100yds from his stand and walking away, like he's going to retrieve his deer. I was thinking he's getting close to the deer and walked over to where he was. The 100yds from his stand.

I get to where I thought he was and I here another shot. So I continue to the other field. I find him standing over a buck that is still kicking, just giving the death flinches.

As I get there I see the deer and say, 'what'd ya do run him down and rock him to death? your 500yds from your stand?" and laugh a little. Then look at the deer and say, "nice, doe..uck" and ask "why did you shoot him in the head like that?"

He says, "that's the way he was"

"one horn", I ask?

"no" he says.

Ok I'm confused. After a bit of talking and finding out what is going on I find out his first shot he shot the horn off right at the base of the skull!

I asked where did you shoot him from, he points at the entrance road. I say "that's 175yds away. you know you can't kill a buck that far away with that 44mag". He laughs.

After a bit of congratulation and points counting, and after we fetched the other horn from 25yds away...

Before the work of dragging the buck back I ask to see his gun. I have one of those accutrack range finders on my scope for that Ruger 44mag. Bracket the deer in the two parallel lines then read the yardage and adjust the turret on top.

Well, my brother doesn't know how to work it an I told him not to mess with it. I look at the turret and it's moved to the 200yd setting. He says he never moved it but somehow it got moved, lucky for him.

I asked him and he said all he did was hold a little bit high on the deer and shoot. I asked did you hold 2 feet above the deer? he says no, about 4 inches or so.

I'm laughing now and the luck my brother has. If that turret had not been moved to the 200yd setting and he held really high, like he should have, he'd have missed the deer. As it was the stars were aligned and my brother will never know how lucky he was to bag that deer.

A head shot at 175yds with a 44mag. Yep, my rookie brother is telling the truth when he says he head shot a 9pt buck at 175yd with a 44mag. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever belived I'd tell that OR be there in person to witness it.

Shot tally count for the season
Bro: with 44mag 9 shots 5 deer
ME: with 444Marlin 3 shots 1 deer.

And now some pictures

First one is of the 3 deer we got the first day, his two are together and my single is laying odd.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2013%20Deer/IMGP3979_zps88ec91f4.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/2013%20Deer/IMGP3979_zps88ec91f4.jpg.html)

My brother, my Ruger M7744mag and His deer minus and antler. Oh yea, it made for a good drag stick, since there were none around. :)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2013%20Deer/IMGP3983_zpsc9f6fa1f.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/2013%20Deer/IMGP3983_zpsc9f6fa1f.jpg.html)

Better pic of the One horn. :)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2013%20Deer/IMGP3987_zpscf7ab34e.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/2013%20Deer/IMGP3987_zpscf7ab34e.jpg.html)

My deer I got. The exit hole from my 444 marlin with the NOE 323gr FP.

I shot him as he was quartering toward me, in the chest out the side ribcage.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2013%20Deer/IMGP3982_zps5e18b3d5.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/2013%20Deer/IMGP3982_zps5e18b3d5.jpg.html)

Next year he'll use my 308 winchester so he won't have to 'hold over'. :)

Idaho Mule
01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
That's a great story Blammer!! Glad you got to hunt with your brother and enjoy success. What's really cool is you never killed your car either, like Gear did. JW

fivegunner
01-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Great story, your very lucky to have a brother, and one that can shoot!!!:Fire::Fire::-D

helice
01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Brothers.
By dang - if you can survive the first 20 years with them, the rest can be a lot of fun.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Glad y'all bagged some meat!

OBXPilgrim
01-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Hey, looks like lady luck looked your way - you did send your bro to buy lotto tickets after that didn't you? Must not have, didn't hear about any jackpot winners.

Not sure where you guys were hunting, but around our neighborhood, that deer would be a good one to put on the wall - if the horn hadn't been shot off. Of course, you can't eat horns.

Djones
01-02-2014, 09:52 PM
That is a hilarious story. You will remember the great time with your brother forever!

Lefty SRH
01-02-2014, 10:41 PM
What a great hunting story. Write it down and keep it for your grandkids.

Blammer
01-02-2014, 10:43 PM
thanks guys, yes it will be one to remember for sure.
This is his first year hunting and he got 5, yes FIVE deer! I hunted 7yrs before I bagged 5 deer.

The amazing thing was, everything I said/predicted where and when the deer would be, they were. Not for me but for my brother.

TXGunNut
01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Good thing he ran out of boolits, you'd have needed a bigger truck!
Good job, bet he'll be ready to go hunting next time too.

Crawdaddy
01-02-2014, 11:36 PM
What a great story. You know what they say, better to be lucky than good. Congrats to both of you.

Blammer
01-03-2014, 12:05 AM
as a side note, He's killed 5 deer with that 44mag and the round flat cast boolit works everytime.

44man
01-03-2014, 08:34 AM
Been waiting to hear about your hunting and I knew you would do good. Good shooting, both of you.
That 444 makes a nasty hole!

Digital Dan
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Some years back an acquaintance borrowed a shotgun loaded w/00 buck and took a tree stand overlooking a small clearing. He had never hunted before and perhaps some instructional points did not sink in. He shot an 8 point buck; stone dead with one shot. At 90 yards. Single pellet to the brain.

That evening he repeated that on a turkey at a measured 65 yds, using #4 shot. One pellet in the brain.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

TheCelt
01-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Really enjoyed that read Blammer, and I'm glad your brother had as much fun as you did. I'm also glad to hear I'm not the only one that misses!!!

missionary5155
01-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Greetings Blammer
What an enjoyable story ! And Congratulations to both of you. Lots like a good supply of great eating for the stormy weeks to come. Only a newby could be so blessed and glad it all happened.
Mike in Peru

phaessler
01-03-2014, 09:03 PM
Great story Blammer!!! Congrats to you and your brother.

Grendel99
01-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Wow, luck was on his side for sure! I bet you will look up the drop on your load before you hunt again. That's amazing your brother shot 5 deer his first year hunting. I have a friend who started hunting 3 years ago and he hasn't shot that many yet!

Blammer
01-03-2014, 11:33 PM
look up the drop? heck, I'm taking the rifle and ammo to the range and shoot at 200 yds to see for sure!

44man
01-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Blammer, look up does not work and you are doing the right thing. I know my SBH with my heavy boolit drops 35" at 200 yards.
But a deer at 20 yards is best for me. I shoot off hand but a rifle is different and just prone is good.
I don't call it luck, it is knowing what your guns do. You gave instructions and it worked.

Tn Jim
01-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Good story Blammer. Glad to hear there is bunches of meat in the freezer.

bart55
01-05-2014, 01:39 PM
reminds me of a hunt with my little brother when he was 12, saw a woodchuck on an opposing hill(had to be at least 70 yards away he had a 20 ga double and he said he was going to shoot the chuck ,I laughed and told him it was too far and he wouldn't even touch it ,well one blast of number four shot and the chuck disappeared ,I told him the shot missed ,but when we walked up we found the chuck dead ! couldn't find a hole . We took it home and when I skinned it out -yea you guessed it ,one pellet in the brain!Lucky is better than good .

Blammer
01-05-2014, 05:10 PM
just got back from the range after "verifying" zero's on the guns used

444marlin with 323gr NOE FP still centered left/right, but drops 17" at 200yds. Yep, I missed him, shot went low.

44mag with the 200yd turret setting at 200yds NOTE: I did not move any of the sights since he scored that buck and I used the rest of the same ammo I gave him.
ZERO inches high/low, exactly 7-8" to the RIGHT, yep, the stars were aligned for him.

horsesoldier
01-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Does he shoot the same zero as you do? Sounds like luck to me!

Blammer
01-09-2014, 09:46 AM
yes a lot of luck was involved I'm sure. no he doesn't shoot the same zero and I don't know how he holds it to shoot differently but obviously he does.

catboat
01-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Great story.

The best hunting experiences I've ever had were with my Dad and brother. Dad is passed, and brother is 500 miles away. Nothing better than hunting with good friends and family.

Just don't get him a 38 special. He'll probably take the deer with head shots at 250 yards, and really get bragging rights.