PDA

View Full Version : A Beagle-ing question. Securing the shim to the mold

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 03:34 PM
I am attempting to beagle the lyman mold #323470. Specifically, the question pertains to how to secure the shims on the mold face.
For a test, I obtained some foil tape (furnace duct tape) and simply applied it to the mold face in three strategic spots and got to work.
Very quickly the adhesive failed and the shims fell away.
Now moving froward, I snagged some proper 0.002" brass shim stock from my kit at work. The question before the court is what could possibly be a more robust way to secure the shims in place. Or, fold the edge of the shim to the outside of the mold and glue it down there.
I am entertaining using a wee drop of red loctite per shim to nail them down. If my memory is still good, that product is good for around 500-ish degrees F.
I am however open to other suggestions.
Many thanks in advance.

bhn22
01-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Molly (bless his soul), once mentioned using the copper foil tape that is used by stained glass window makers. It's normally adhered to the glass, then the pieces are soldered together. Supposedly it comes in different thicknesses too. It should hold up to heat pretty well.

fecmech
01-02-2014, 06:23 PM
If you'd like I can send you some "speed" or 500 mph foil tape that we used for temporary repairs on aircraft. It is what I use for "Beagling" molds and it stays on just fine. I have also used the tape they use for A/C ducts and it also works good.

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 08:49 PM
If you'd like I can send you some "speed" or 500 mph foil tape that we used for temporary repairs on aircraft. It is what I use for "Beagling" molds and it stays on just fine. I have also used the tape they use for A/C ducts and it also works good.
I appreciate the offer! I'm going to slog on and if and when I cry uncle, I'll prey upon your good will!
I have the aluminum foil a/c tape, that is what I have tried in the beginning. The adhesive failed in the heat and the shims simply fell away.
The brass shim I have in hand is proper quality stuff. I have a couple of ideas I'm going to try tonight and I will report back.
As usual, thanks for the help

mrbill2
01-02-2014, 09:10 PM
3M Stove pipe tape. Ace Hardware. Good for 600*

btroj
01-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Molly (bless his soul), once mentioned using the copper foil tape that is used by stained glass window makers. It's normally adhered to the glass, then the pieces are soldered together. Supposedly it comes in different thicknesses too. It should hold up to heat pretty well.

That is exactly what I use. Having done some stained glass work it was a natural. A roll is cheap, like 8 bucks or so and will do hundred of moulds. Mine is 3/16 wide and a roll is 10 yards or so.

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Hmm. I used a different brand than the 3m..........that must be the key.
Well as usual, I went with my normal strategy of blind determination.
I cut some shims and nailed them to one side of the mold with a thin film of red loctite. It is curing in the lab as I type this. I will test tomorrow evening and report back.
According to the manufacturers website, the red stuff is good to darn near 600 degrees. We will find out tomorrow.....

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 11:45 PM
So Btroj, how do you secure the copper shims to the mold face?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-02-2014, 11:47 PM
The alum foil Tape I used had a UL label. It is about .003
The adhesive stayed on for 3 casting sessions and maybe would have stayed on longer, but I took the tape off to cast some 'standard' sized boolits (266469)
Jon

HARRYMPOPE
01-03-2014, 12:15 AM
For very little money Erik Ohlen will open up the bands to the diameter required. He can also add a band to the nose to get that to size as well. Why have an out of round mold?

TreeKiller
01-03-2014, 12:57 AM
There is at least 2 kinds if A/C tape. One is thick and very sticky. It is about 1/32 thick the other is thin like foil with glue on the back. This is the one you want. First kind makes a mess of your molds:oops: (trust me)

btroj
01-03-2014, 08:34 AM
So Btroj, how do you secure the copper shims to the mold face?

It has an adhesive backing. I stick it on the mould face and burnish well with a stick.

Pb2au
01-03-2014, 09:58 AM
cool, many thanks sir.

btroj
01-03-2014, 10:00 AM
PM me your address and I will send you some. I have many rolls and a foot or so will do multiple moulds.

Pb2au
01-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Thank you very much sir. I appreciate it!