PDA

View Full Version : Those Canadian mold handles

Poohgyrr
11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
That we bought from our Canadian friend a while back.... What ever happened-- is he still making mold handles??

ktw
11-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Was Red River Rick the manufacturer and Montana Charlie the GB Honcho?

I have some of these handles. I really like them. I would buy a couple more (Lyman variant) if there was another group buy.

-ktw

montana_charlie
11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Correct on both counts, ktw. When I saw Ricks handles on eBay, and read his description, I decided they might be the prettiest handles around.

The group buy didn't save us much (a few dollars) on each handle set, but the savings on postage worked out considerably better than individual orders to Rick.
It also introduced Rick, his handles, and his general machining expertise to a group who can appreciate them...and him.

I am sure that a PM to Rick will result in as many handles as an individual can want...if you catch him between hunts, and projects for his 'real' job.
Heck, he may even have a few sets 'in stock' and ready to go out.
CM

Poohgyrr
11-30-2007, 02:11 PM
Great, thanks. I'll look him up.

Now that ktw metioned it below, I'll check the box my handles came in for Rick's card..

ktw
11-30-2007, 02:16 PM
I am sure that a PM to Rick will result in as many handles as an individual can want...

I was planning to go that route next spring or summer. I still have his card from the earlier handle order. I wanted to learn more about his ability to make me a paper patch mold for a 38-55 at the same time. The one he sold here as a support auction looked beautiful.

Unfortunately, his not having a catalog or published price list has made it easier for me to refrain from working myself up into a have-to-have-it-now buying binge.

-ktw

EDK
11-30-2007, 06:20 PM
PM him about his brochure.

I just got it and am doing some serious thinking about which paper patch mould I'm going to ask him to make for my 50/90 Shiloh. CAS has been shooting some really good groups with his 50 using barrel sights and one of the Kalynuik PP moulds. Better sights or a MVA scope would be interesting. The machine work on the mould on the auction is beautiful---I sure wish I could do anything even close to that. I do know enough to appreciate some d--- nice work and a good guy from my contact with him.

Like everyone else, I have a "wish list" about a mile long and it's the holidays. But I have some extra money coming in after the first of the year and by then I'll know which mould I want. It will be time to send him a money order and see if US Customs wants a fat part of my wallet for import duties! Anybody got any idea if or how much import tax would be?

:castmine: :Fire:

LET-CA
11-30-2007, 06:41 PM
I bought five or six sets of his handles. They're beautifully made and a delight to use. Let me know if another group buy is in the making. . .

robertbank
11-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Why do I think I missed the train here.:) If they are that good I need a set.

Take Care

Bob

kodiak1
11-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Just order one 45 Paper patch aned a 50 Paper Patch from Rick with handles of cource.
Ken.

fatnhappy
11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
My set sport the best furniture in the house. They're a real delight to use. Ifin there's a group buy in the offing, I'm in.

pumpguy
12-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Does anyone have a picture and price? I might be in for a GB.

ktw
12-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Same as the handles on the mold pictured in this thread.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20231

At the time of the group buy you could get Lyman or RCBS spec handles, although I seem to recall that there was some issue related to his desire to run special thinner handles for RCBS molds in the future. We had a choice of light or dark wood.

Seem to recall paying a shade over $100 (shipped) for 4 sets of handles in the group buy. They were well worth it.

-ktw

RANGER RICK
12-01-2007, 01:49 AM
This is his prices and a few pictures he sent to me about ten days ago.
http://by138w.bay138.mail.live.com/mail/ReadMessageLight.aspx?Action=ScanAttachment&AllowUnsafeContentOverride=False&AttachmentIndex=0&AttachmentDepth=0&FolderID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&InboxSortAscending=False&InboxSortBy=Date&IsMessageSafe=True&MessageCodePage=20127&ReadMessageId=853d326d-cabd-4b7e-8d39-bf3eb022f904&n=1865041722

RR

KAL Tool & Die
656 Stewart Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba CANADA, R2Y 1N9

2007 Product Price List

Mould Handles

Metal parts are laser cut from 3/16” 1018 Steel and hydro- formed for precision. Pivot pin is hardened and secured with a self-locking nut (adjustable). All metal parts are blue/black finished. Hardwood handles (species may vary) are tipped with heavy duty Stainless Steel ferrules and provide an excellent and comfortable grip. These mold handles are of the highest quality and will provide years of service.

Two styles available:

Regular Style - Fits Lyman S/C & D/C moulds…. $25.00

Thin Style - Fits RCBS moulds….......................... $27.50

Mold to Handle Screws ……………..………..(pr) $ 3.25
(Thread size is #10 x 32tpi)

*** NOTE ***
These handles may fit other makes of mould
blocks designed to be used with handles.

Replacement Spru
Cutter Plates

Heavy replacement Spru Cutter Plates are laser cut from 3/16 inch thick 1018 Steel. All holes are C.N.C. machined. Precision ground on both sides. Finished plates measure approx. 0.170” thick. Metal parts are blue/black finished. These spru cutter plates are of the highest quality and will provide an excellent replacement for your worn or bent plates.

Three styles available:

Lyman Small S/C…………………………….…… $ 3.75
(New plate & spring washer only)
Lyman Large D/C ……………………………...… $ 4.75
(New plate & spring washer only)
RCBS D/C Rebuild Kit…………..…………....… $ 12.00
(Includes new plate, spring washers, dowel pin, pivot screw,
set screw & mold to handle screws)

Custom Paper Patch
Bullet Moulds

Custom paper patch bullet moulds. C.N.C. machined. Your design or mine. Adjustable or fixed bullet weight. Adjustable moulds are nose poured, fixed weight are base poured. Mould blocks are made from 65-45-12 extruded fine grain ductile iron. Three hardened dowel pins provide positive alignment in both vertical and horizontal planes. Heavy spru cutter plate precision ground both sides.

.40 - .69 cal.

Adjustable Weight S/C Mould…………….....… $170.00
( Includes P/P template & handles )
Adjustable Weight S/C Mould…………….....… $135.00
( Mould only )
Fixed Weight S/C Mould……………...……...… $130.00
( Includes P/P template & handles )
Fixed Weight S/C Mould……………...……...… $ 95.00
( Mould only )
Paper Patch Templates 45 or 50 cal………….... $ 10.00
( Stainless Steel, laser cut )

*** NOTE ***
Larger calibers available. E-mail me
for a price quote

**** All Prices are in Canadian dollars. ****

SHIPPING – Prices do not include shipping costs. All items shipped via Canada Post Expedited Parcel or Small
Packet. Insurance included with shipping costs. E-mail me for shipping costs to your address.

PAYMENT – Canadian Residents: Canada Post M/O, Certified cheque or Bank Draft, no personal cheques.
( 6% Goods & Service Tax applied to all Canadian orders. 7% Provincial sales Tax applied to Manitoba orders.)

U.S. Residents: United States Postal Service International M/O only.

Sorry, no PayPal or Credit Cards accepted.

Contact me at kaltool@mts.net if you have any questions or concerns with any of the products I have to offer.

Thank-you

Rick Kalynuik
KAL Tool & Die

shooter93
12-01-2007, 08:37 PM
His molds are as well made as anyone else on the Planet....they are very nice.

Poohgyrr
12-02-2007, 12:16 AM
RR -

Thanks.

Red River Rick
12-14-2007, 01:49 AM
I'd like to know if anybody would be interested in a G/B for my mould handles. This is just a preliminary thought, and I'm looking for a show of hands as to see what kind of numbers, if any.

Delivery possibly mid - February. Two styles are available, regular style (to fit Lyman) and the thin style (to fit RCBS and similar).

I will post pictures and info a little later on.

Montana Charlie has offered his services, again, as "Honcho", if this group buy flies. More info later.

RRR

ktw
12-14-2007, 02:18 AM
I'll take two sets of Lyman handles.

-ktw

buckndee
12-14-2007, 03:26 AM
I would like 2 of both regular and the thin sets.
Buck.

GLL
12-14-2007, 11:47 AM
RRR:

I would be interested in a couple.

Jerry

pumpguy
12-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Count me in for a couple pair of the Lyman style.

RANGER RICK
12-14-2007, 02:51 PM
I would also be interested in two pair of the regular one's.

RR

Powderpacker
12-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Two pair of the regular handles for me, also .

Poohgyrr
12-14-2007, 10:21 PM
I want at least three pair.

montana_charlie
12-14-2007, 11:03 PM
There has been enough response in this discussion, Rick is up for another group buy. So, he and I are lining up our ducks.
When we have some of the details worked out I will open a thread in the Group Buy section.

Remember how some folks got mad about the way I did things in the first one? I guess they will get mad again...'cuz it will go about the same way this time.

Note to robertbank...
We may have to work out something special for you. You and Rick are both in Canada, so it wouldn't make much sense for him to ship yours to me...in Montana...just so I could send them back across the border.
CM

RANGER RICK
12-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Montana C

Sounds great .
For God's sake MC do not cut a joke anywhere in your threads !!!!! You will be hung , Remember ????

RR

charger 1
12-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Note to robertbank...
We may have to work out something special for you. You and Rick are both in Canada, so it wouldn't make much sense for him to ship yours to me...in Montana...just so I could send them back across the border.
CM

Well then I guess my two will be the same

robertbank
12-15-2007, 10:52 AM
PM me the details and I'll order mine direct. You are right no sense in doing the cross border thing twice.

Take Care

Bob

montana_charlie
12-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Check the Group Buy forum...
CM

montana_charlie
12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
robertbank,
If you still want to join up, the thread is here... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23216

CM

robertbank
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
No I am going to order direct right after Christmas. Going back and forth across the border doesn't make much sense as you pointed out. Thanks for remembering me.

Take Care

Bob