PDA

View Full Version : 5 or 6 degrees

fixit
01-02-2014, 03:01 PM
that's how cold it's going to be in the field in the morning. last time i'll get to go deer hunting until fall. should I go or will I be the only creature dumb enough to not be trying to stay warm?

Charlie Two Tracks
01-02-2014, 03:05 PM
You should go. Plenty of layers on. The coldest I ever hunted deer was in a wind chill of -50. Me and a few others went out an hour before sunrise and got in our stands. I really thought I was in trouble just before the sun came up. I couldn't hardly move. Shot the first buck that came by, got down and gutted him and went home. It was cold.......

fixit
01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
all right! that's all the convincing I needed. wish me luck, I've never had a lot of late winter sightings....they tend to hold tight to the osage thickets on the neighboring property. that's o.k....if I hold tight to the fence line, I might get a shot at one as it wanders through the south end of the property i'll be on!

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Go. Just go.
I'll be ice fishing in a few weeks in Michigan. Two years ago it didn't get over 7 degrees all day. Dress properly, stay hydrated, and enjoy it.
I like the cold however, so I might be a little odd.

fixit
01-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I think that word might apply to all of us on this forum

Crawdaddy
01-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Go and have fun. FWIW I bought a pair of Cabelas Stand Hunter coverals this year and they keep you toasty in those temps. A little pricey but well worth it.

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 05:08 PM
I think that word might apply to all of us on this forum

Very true!
I hate heat and humidity with a passion. Not a nice mix for living in SW Ohio. I visited Arizona last June, the Phoenix area. Very beautiful big country that I want to continue to explore, but that sun is brutal! Those of us of Irish decent simply fry in those climates!
I love to hunt in the cold. Late muzzle loader opens this Saturday and I am stoked. It is currently 18 out right now. We have a nice storm on us right now and it should lift tomorrow which should make Saturday a great day.

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 05:09 PM
And embrace wool like a new religion. wool is your friend.

waksupi
01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Way back when, we never hunted coyotes until it was about 20 below. It took me some years to figure out that it wasn't because the hunting was necessarily better then, it was the fact we weren't doing much on the farms when it was that cold.

bhn22
01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
The deer will start moving around as soon as the sun starts warming things up.

dragon813gt
01-02-2014, 06:06 PM
I freely admit I'm a fair weather hunter. I like to spend as much time as possible in my stand during archery season. I prefer light pants and a T-shirt to layers of insulated gear. But since I didn't get anything so far this year I will be in my stand Saturday morning with the temp most likely below zero. I spent a good deal of money on Sitka gear this year. It's the only brand that fits me properly as I'm not your typical American build. I will be wearing that new insulated gear under my old insulated gear just to stay warm. I can't figure out why I'm not looking forward to this :(

CastingFool
01-02-2014, 06:12 PM
I remember rabbit hunting one day while the temp was only 5 degrees, no telling what the windchill was. There was absolutely nothing moving. We came up on a rabbit sitting under a bush, and I tried to catch it with my hands. Got about 1ft away from it and it bolted. My buddy shot at it, and missed. Just then I thought I better shoot if I want that rabbit. I got it, too! Kind of forgot about the temp then.

DougGuy
01-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Wishing you luck! Let us know how it goes!

Bad Water Bill
01-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Pb2au

We are in the process of sending you a LATE Christmas present even as I type.

6" so far today with more on the way.

Should make great tracking for you.

Stay warm and take a compass with you because visibility is less than 100 yards most of the time.

missionary5155
01-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Greetings
I would sure go if I had not popped a corn cruncher yet.
I will think of you. Tomorrow will be only 74 and clear most the day. Maybe get to 10% humidity. Yep I sure will think about you.
Mike in Peru

bob208
01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
I will through a shovel full of coal in the stove and think of you. pa. has a late flintlock season. so I mite get one yet.

jonas302
01-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Throw some clothes on and head out use handwarmers if you need it will be nice and warm with your hands inside a fresh deer(:

TXGunNut
01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Put meat in the freezer yesterday, will put a log on the fire and think about you out in the cold this weekend. I did a single-digit hunt once, sleeping bag was hard to crawl out of and we had to keep liquids in the ice chest to keep them from freezing.
Go hunting or it'll be a looong summer.

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 11:35 PM
Thank you Bad water bill, I really do appreciate it! (although my wife just gave me a look when I told her about your present)
The January muzzle loader season is me and my Dad's favorite. Very few other hunters, and with this nice storm, lots of snow to creep around in.
My oldest brother, when he was still on this mortal coil, was impervious to the cold. That guy just did not care how cold it was, or windy, or whatever. He could sit in a tree stand in sub zero weather all day, happy as a bug. All he needed was some corn nuts to nibble on, a Dr pepper to wash it down and a big old dip of Copenhagen to calm the nerves! He would meet us back at the truck beet red and ready to go.
I really miss him

Firebricker
01-03-2014, 12:00 AM
I will be out there Sat for our muzzle loader season but I will be in a pop up blind with a Mr Heater cranked up. I have heater body suit that keeps me warm but If I'm in my blind the heater is easier. I have been blessed with a couple does but am looking for a buck and hopefully one more doe. Good luck to all our late season hunters !

MaryB
01-03-2014, 01:21 AM
Skip the alcohol the night before, it thins your blood. Worst hunt I did was -50 wind chills in IA for pheasants. That was miserable, face froze every up wind hike.

375supermag
01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi...
Coldest weather I ever hunted in was about 20 years ago during bear season in northern Pennsylvania.
The temperature at camp was -10F. It was colder up on the top of the mountain in Elk County. Windy all day...deep snow. Mid-afternoon, it started snowing.
NASTY DAY!